Mondays Futures +229 tonight

73ss454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I hope everyone is enjoying the Sept rally. I just took a look at the DOW futures for tomorrow and they are up 229. Just hope this rally doesn't fall flat on it's face. Must be difficult for anyone sitting in cash to watch this.

I'm keepin' my eye on it. Might have to take a profit or two...

"Data as of Sep 24" You are looking at last week. :)

I just looked and it said data as of 9;14PM tonight.

You may be right but this is what I see.

Look at the reported level for the dow. If it was up another 200+ points, it should show a value above 11,000.

I looked at Bloomberg and you guys seem to be right. I just read what it said on the top of CNN Futures. If just dropped to 222 from 229. I don't know why it is reported like that. Made me feel good for a little while anyway.

There's still plenty of time before tomorrow morning. :)

I always think "Oct is coming". For some reason, valid or not, it seems the portfolio always falls that month....

I always think "Oct is coming". For some reason, valid or not, it seems the portfolio always falls that month....

One never knows, in the beginning of Sept all the experts were talking gloom and doom and we are up a ton.

I see the same thing on CNN Money. What economic data is due out early next week?

Through this whole mess for the last few years I haven't touched a thing on my port although I was tempted. Won't be happy till I'm back where I was in Oct of 07. So I just sit and wait, I hope it happens in my life time.

Looks encouraging.

The market psychology is on the fence between fear and greed.

One bad economic sign and there will probably be another sell-off...

But the market seems to be holding up to a certain level. The sell-off lows seem to be above the previous sell-off.

Through this whole mess for the last few years I haven't touched a thing on my port although I was tempted. Won't be happy till I'm back where I was in Oct of 07. So I just sit and wait, I hope it happens in my life time.

I, too, am in this camp... particularly the "tempted" part. The "back where I was" part, not so much since I am close (he says, as if "breakeven" was the goal).

If you don't mind me asking, how far do you have to go, percentage-wise, to get to your October 2007 high? As of Friday's market close, I figure I'm pretty close. Another 5% rise, and I'm back there.

Actually, in just gross dollars, I'm well above my 2007 peak, but I've also kept investing. I'm calculating my 2007 peak + everything I've added since then as the number I need to be at to be "whole" again.

Sad thing is, I don't feel as excited about it now. Back in October 2007, I felt like I was on top of the world. But today, even though I'm almost back to that point, I feel kinda broke. I guess partly because yeah, I'm almost back to where I was, but it's also three years later. And, this morning, I noticed the drip pan under the water heater was full of water, so I'm guessing it's time for a new water heater.

Funny how I can be almost back to an all-new financial high, yet fret about a water heater that might cost $400-500 or whatever. :facepalm:

Funny how I can be almost back to an all-new financial high, yet fret about a water heater that might cost $400-500 or whatever.

Funny strange? I have the same underlying uneasiness. Perhaps three years is so recent that the memory of how shocked (maybe not the exact word but...) I was at the sudden drop in value is overpowering the gradual increase since then -- the boiled frog effect. Or still waiting for the other shoe to fall.

Interesting how it all works. As one of those who is mostly in cash and being razzed in the OP, I was curious and took a look at the market this morning, expecting to see a significant jump. It's all over the place, but down a few points mostly. I've never really paid attention to futures, so I don't know how dependable they are supposed to be. Not making any point or anything, just it seems a little weird. You'd think the markets were unpredictible or something. ;)

Andre, it's hard to say as I took a PT job in the midst of the down turn. We had just signed up to put a pool in for 60K in Sept of 08 which also came out of my port. I did return 24K in the last 2 years from working so all in all I'm down about 5% from Oct of 07. Also I was only spending money that my CD's threw off so I wasn't touching the heart of the port for the last year and 1/2.

Back
Top Bottom