Money in, money out (rental income)...

It didn't sound like bragging to me. More like just answering a question. I thought this was a place where folks could actually be honest about their financial situation without being shamed. Not really many venues where you can feel free to discuss your over abundance concerns without being unfairly judged.

No, this thread, unlike others, is a brag-a-thon. The OP stated his very fortunate position, then just asked others to state their fortunate positions (big inheritance, etc). There was no useful question here that might actually help anyone.

I know, don't tell me, I'm not required to read this forum and I may stop.

My very fortunate position was being born to intelligent industrious white parents in 1949 in America. Also lack obvious physical deformities, have reasonable IQ and am male, tall, and have a deep voice.

Due to those things and fortunate pairing with my long time honey we have rental income in excess of our needs. Hardly any social security income though, and no pensions or trust funds. Firecalc and Quicken retirement calculators say we are OK, though changing inflation rates and desired annual income can force failure.

Somebody once said it ain't bragging if you really done it.

No, this thread, unlike others, is a brag-a-thon. The OP stated his very fortunate position, then just asked others to state their fortunate positions (big inheritance, etc). There was no useful question here that might actually help anyone.

I know, don't tell me, I'm not required to read this forum and I may stop.
Well this IS the Financially Independent (retired early) forum. Respectfully, I'm not sure if you were expecting a lot of the needy chiming in

You didn't watch NOVA last night did you? Meteors are real!
I think your optimism depends on what you mean by principal. If you have a portfolio on liquid assets that you are not touching, then great. If your net worth is tied up in only a couple of doors then you should be more cautious. Bad economic environment can leave you with empty space that still needs feeding.

I worry about earthquakes. I'm in California.

I worry more about wildfires. Also in California. When we built our granny flat we learned (soils report) that we're on VERY stable dirt. In addition DH retrofitted the house (1960's era) to earthquake harden it. (More sheer walls, more foundation straps/bolts, more diagonal bracing). So I'm a lot less worried about earthquakes.
We live above a green space canyon and the folks across the street back up to a deep finger canyon... Mainly because of the canyon across the street we're considered to be in a fire zone. We've done what we can to fire harden the house - (metal clad windows, smaller screening on the soffets to prevent cinders from getting into the attic, landscaping that meets the fire marshall requirements).... but fire is a more real/tangible risk than earthquakes in Southern Cal.

Good Lord, would you people stop with the bragging. What's the point besides stoking your egos? "Multi generational family trust" ... give me a break!!!

Sorry, I don't see it as bragging, just stating a fact. In fact now I want to investigate multigenerational family trusts. If such a vehicle can help preserve family wealth it's worth investigating.

Back
Top Bottom