Money isn't everything

nun

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I ERed a year ago and everything has been good. But a couple of months ago I had a call from an old colleague who offered me some contract work with the prospect of becoming full time. I wasn't at all sure, but thought the money would be nice and why not do some cool technical stuff with my mind rather than annuity calculations and doing fits to tax thresholds.

Well after 4 weeks of 20 hours a week I'm starting to resent getting up in the morning and driving in traffic.......nothing changes I suppose. I'm glad I only signed on for 4 months. I thought I might have issues with giving up 100% control over my time again.

Last edited:
4 months will fly by and you will be back to "your time" soon. :)

I ERed a year ago and everything has been good. But a couple of months ago I had a call from an old colleague who offered me some contract work with the prospect of becoming full time. I wasn't at all sure, but thought the money would be nice and why not do some cool technical stuff with my mind rather than annuity calculations and doing fits to tax thresholds.

Well after 4 weeks of 20 hours a week I'm starting to resent getting up in the morning and driving in traffic.......nothing changes I suppose. I'm glad I only signed on for 4 months. I thought I might have issues with giving up 100% control over my time again.

Could it be the conditions, not the work itself? Can you switch to working remotely? Or at least to having more control over your hours to avoid driving in traffic?

I was happy to get some short term contract work after I retired. It was especially pleasant since the hourly rate was higher than my pre-retirement pay.

It was nice to catch up with some former colleagues, remember the realities of work, exercise the brain, and offset some unexpected post-retirement expenses. But, it also reinforced my opinion that I really didn't want to be tied down to w*rk any longer.

Look at the experience as a re-verification of your original ER decision.;)

Commuting in congested traffic is definitely not fun at all. It took almost 1.6 hours to work this morning because of an incident on the freeway. On a snowy day, commute usually takes over 2 hours. Technical challenge, however, keeps me working (or OMY syndrome). Money is not the issue.

Last Thursday, I had an important appointment early in the morning (not my choice). I got up before sunrise, washed up, ate breakfast standing at the kitchen counter, walked quickly to the nearest subway station, waited for the next train on a packed platform, rode the subway next to someone coughing their lungs out, prayed I would not catch the plague, rushed out at my destination, and walked quickly to my appointment. What misery. This is no way to live. Thankfully, I have the choice not to do that every morning.

Last edited:
For me, the commute time and aggravation was far worse than the "Job" .

For the last few years I had a ten minute commute with one red light which took fifteen minutes; SWEET!

It is still nice to have options in life and must be rewarding to know that your friend wanted you for the contract. At least now you can rule out on site contract work with peak traffic commute hours from your list of possible things to do in ER list.

The first year I retired I waited about a year and then did 3 months of charity work, working 10 hours a week, made up of 2 days working 8 to 1. It used to take me 15 minutes to cycle in.

It didn't take long before I was ready for it to end, even that much work was too much, and shortly before I left someone stole my bike which was chained up on a bike rack outside the building (a library).

Back in 2009 when I informed management of my impending retirement, they asked about possible consulting. I told them that my (federal) agency didn't have enough money to hire me as a consultant. :hide:

Given the size of the federal budget, I admit that was a pretty brash statement. :blush: However, it was true, in that money isn't everything when one is truly ready to retire.

6978-albums171-picture1165.gif

Last edited:
I was happy to get some short term contract work after I retired. It was especially pleasant since the hourly rate was higher than my pre-retirement pay. It was nice to catch up with some former colleagues, remember the realities of work, exercise the brain, and offset some unexpected post-retirement expenses. But, it also reinforced my opinion that I really didn't want to be tied down to w*rk any longer.

That's just how I felt too. Earning a year's worth of expenses in 4 months of Half time work was very attractive; I still have some income anxiety even though I'm more than covering my expenses from investments. I want to get excited about the work, but once you cut the full time work cord and don't really need the money the work itself have to be spectacularly interesting for me not to pick holes in it and ask"why am I doing this". It's a nice problem to have

When I retired I had considered contract work. A couple of weeks after I retired I received a call from an old colleague, he asked if I would be interested in some contract work. I told him yes, I figured it would not hurt to check it out, so we set up a meeting. The closer the time came to the meeting the old feelings came back, it was like a dark cloud overhead, I called and cancelled the meeting. It was a good lesson for me, I felt as if someone was calling my bluff, if they hadn't who knows how long I would lived with the "going back to work fantasy". A few days later all my reference books, notes and old contact names were in the recycle bin, no turning back, I was really free then.

It was nice to catch up with some former colleagues, remember the realities of work, exercise the brain, and offset some unexpected post-retirement expenses. But, it also reinforced my opinion that I really didn't want to be tied down to w*rk any longer.

That's one reason I like to do a few volunteer gigs every week. Granted I don't get any money for it, but I'm doing things I enjoy doing, keeping my mind engaged, something that helps others, all that good stuff. I set the boundaries on how much or how little time I will put into it week to week. When I'm through for the day I'm through - don't carry any of it home with me.

Any meager skills I had during my career have atrophied enough that nobody would pay me much more than minimum wage these days. After I retired, I was sounded out by a couple of companies about doing some part-time work but I never did it. Never had the financial need nor the inherent desire.

When I retired, I figured the workplace waters would close over my head and I'd never darken their doors again. I did not even consider contract work, which is almost a given for retirees from my line of work, since contractors make a good deal more than GS-15s. The only "criticism" I recall was a few people wondering how I could "leave that easy contractor money on the table." For my part, I had the old "Time > $$" song playing loudly in my head.

A few weeks after retiring, I accepted an offer for part-time consulting at my old salary (no benefits) and was ultimately glad I did, as unexpected expenses ate into our emergency fund. When the part-time gig is over, though, I will be ready to move to total retirement.

Amethyst

time>>$$$

you can make more money, save more money, spend less money but the time you have (and have left) is a constant and never can change. It was perhaps the one talking point I had with my wife that she had no counter for :D. You can wonder if you have enough money and therefore need to keep working but if you are pretty much FI at or near the lifestyle level you wish to be at that top equation is unbreakable IMO and wins

I hear ya ! An ex-boss callled me to ask if I wanted to consult for him after I retire. I love the guy and said I would. Then I started reading job descriptions. I actually felt queasy reading them :sick:. I called him back a week later to tell him not to count on me and to find someone else to do the job.

Commuting in congested traffic is definitely not fun at all. It took almost 1.6 hours to work this morning because of an incident on the freeway. On a snowy day, commute usually takes over 2 hours. Technical challenge, however, keeps me working (or OMY syndrome). Money is not the issue.

This is my first winter in retirement and I definitely don't miss the 45 miles commute that on snowy days would take 2-3 hours each way. I now sit by the fire watching the traffic and the commuter rail and transit nightmares on TV and feel bad for the people that have to deal with them.

This is my first winter in retirement and I definitely don't miss the 45 miles commute that on snowy days would take 2-3 hours each way. I now sit by the fire watching the traffic and the commuter rail and transit nightmares on TV and feel bad for the people that have to deal with them.

My commute was nowhere near as grueling, but I remember being very content watching classic Looney Tunes reruns one weekday morning while the snow just kept falling...

I now sit by the fire watching the traffic and the commuter rail and transit nightmares on TV and feel bad for the people that have to deal with them.

It is now 12 years, going on 13 for us, and that is still entertaining.:LOL:

Some of us are just easily amused.:angel:

I've been retired 3 years now and in that time I have turned down a couple of consulting offers. (Full and/or part time) When I was working, I would sometimes wondered if I'd miss the the all the work, action and involvement going from 50 to 55 hour work weeks to zero. Sure seems like a silly concern to me now. I have hobbies and interest that keep me busy when I want, and the freedom to do absolutely nothing whenever I want.

Back
Top Bottom