Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Money isn't everything
Old 02-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Money isn't everything

I ERed a year ago and everything has been good. But a couple of months ago I had a call from an old colleague who offered me some contract work with the prospect of becoming full time. I wasn't at all sure, but thought the money would be nice and why not do some cool technical stuff with my mind rather than annuity calculations and doing fits to tax thresholds.

Well after 4 weeks of 20 hours a week I'm starting to resent getting up in the morning and driving in traffic.......nothing changes I suppose. I'm glad I only signed on for 4 months. I thought I might have issues with giving up 100% control over my time again.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

4 months will fly by and you will be back to "your time" soon. :-)
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I ERed a year ago and everything has been good. But a couple of months ago I had a call from an old colleague who offered me some contract work with the prospect of becoming full time. I wasn't at all sure, but thought the money would be nice and why not do some cool technical stuff with my mind rather than annuity calculations and doing fits to tax thresholds.

Well after 4 weeks of 20 hours a week I'm starting to resent getting up in the morning and driving in traffic.......nothing changes I suppose. I'm glad I only signed on for 4 months. I thought I might have issues with giving up 100% control over my time again.
Could it be the conditions, not the work itself? Can you switch to working remotely? Or at least to having more control over your hours to avoid driving in traffic?
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #4

I was happy to get some short term contract work after I retired. It was especially pleasant since the hourly rate was higher than my pre-retirement pay.

It was nice to catch up with some former colleagues, remember the realities of work, exercise the brain, and offset some unexpected post-retirement expenses. But, it also reinforced my opinion that I really didn't want to be tied down to w*rk any longer.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Look at the experience as a re-verification of your original ER decision.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
4 months will fly by and you will be back to "your time" soon. :-)
On other hand, it might feel like eternity

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #7

Commuting in congested traffic is definitely not fun at all. It took almost 1.6 hours to work this morning because of an incident on the freeway. On a snowy day, commute usually takes over 2 hours. Technical challenge, however, keeps me working (or OMY syndrome). Money is not the issue.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Last Thursday, I had an important appointment early in the morning (not my choice). I got up before sunrise, washed up, ate breakfast standing at the kitchen counter, walked quickly to the nearest subway station, waited for the next train on a packed platform, rode the subway next to someone coughing their lungs out, prayed I would not catch the plague, rushed out at my destination, and walked quickly to my appointment. What misery. This is no way to live. Thankfully, I have the choice not to do that every morning.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #9

For me, the commute time and aggravation was far worse than the "Job" .
Old 02-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

For the last few years I had a ten minute commute with one red light which took fifteen minutes; SWEET!
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

No, that was a ten mile commute in fifteen minutes.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:29 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It is still nice to have options in life and must be rewarding to know that your friend wanted you for the contract. At least now you can rule out on site contract work with peak traffic commute hours from your list of possible things to do in ER list.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #13
Administrator

The first year I retired I waited about a year and then did 3 months of charity work, working 10 hours a week, made up of 2 days working 8 to 1. It used to take me 15 minutes to cycle in.

It didn't take long before I was ready for it to end, even that much work was too much, and shortly before I left someone stole my bike which was chained up on a bike rack outside the building (a library).
Old 02-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Back in 2009 when I informed management of my impending retirement, they asked about possible consulting. I told them that my (federal) agency didn't have enough money to hire me as a consultant.

Given the size of the federal budget, I admit that was a pretty brash statement. However, it was true, in that money isn't everything when one is truly ready to retire.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I was happy to get some short term contract work after I retired. It was especially pleasant since the hourly rate was higher than my pre-retirement pay. It was nice to catch up with some former colleagues, remember the realities of work, exercise the brain, and offset some unexpected post-retirement expenses. But, it also reinforced my opinion that I really didn't want to be tied down to w*rk any longer.
That's just how I felt too. Earning a year's worth of expenses in 4 months of Half time work was very attractive; I still have some income anxiety even though I'm more than covering my expenses from investments. I want to get excited about the work, but once you cut the full time work cord and don't really need the money the work itself have to be spectacularly interesting for me not to pick holes in it and ask"why am I doing this". It's a nice problem to have

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

When I retired I had considered contract work. A couple of weeks after I retired I received a call from an old colleague, he asked if I would be interested in some contract work. I told him yes, I figured it would not hurt to check it out, so we set up a meeting. The closer the time came to the meeting the old feelings came back, it was like a dark cloud overhead, I called and cancelled the meeting. It was a good lesson for me, I felt as if someone was calling my bluff, if they hadn't who knows how long I would lived with the "going back to work fantasy". A few days later all my reference books, notes and old contact names were in the recycle bin, no turning back, I was really free then.
ITTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
It was nice to catch up with some former colleagues, remember the realities of work, exercise the brain, and offset some unexpected post-retirement expenses. But, it also reinforced my opinion that I really didn't want to be tied down to w*rk any longer.
That's one reason I like to do a few volunteer gigs every week. Granted I don't get any money for it, but I'm doing things I enjoy doing, keeping my mind engaged, something that helps others, all that good stuff. I set the boundaries on how much or how little time I will put into it week to week. When I'm through for the day I'm through - don't carry any of it home with me.

Any meager skills I had during my career have atrophied enough that nobody would pay me much more than minimum wage these days. After I retired, I was sounded out by a couple of companies about doing some part-time work but I never did it. Never had the financial need nor the inherent desire.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I retired, I figured the workplace waters would close over my head and I'd never darken their doors again. I did not even consider contract work, which is almost a given for retirees from my line of work, since contractors make a good deal more than GS-15s. The only "criticism" I recall was a few people wondering how I could "leave that easy contractor money on the table." For my part, I had the old "Time > $$" song playing loudly in my head.

A few weeks after retiring, I accepted an offer for part-time consulting at my old salary (no benefits) and was ultimately glad I did, as unexpected expenses ate into our emergency fund. When the part-time gig is over, though, I will be ready to move to total retirement.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
On other hand, it might feel like eternity
Serves him right .
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

time>>$$$

you can make more money, save more money, spend less money but the time you have (and have left) is a constant and never can change. It was perhaps the one talking point I had with my wife that she had no counter for . You can wonder if you have enough money and therefore need to keep working but if you are pretty much FI at or near the lifestyle level you wish to be at that top equation is unbreakable IMO and wins