Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Are you leaving your money in a money market account knowing that they are not FDIC insured? I'm thinking of moving my MM funds into my CU savings account. Is this overkill?
FWIW, I moved a big chunk out of MM accounts this week to short term FDIC insured CDs. Call me chicken but I think it is prudent in the current climate. I know that the respective CEOs or presidents of these firms put out infomration as to the safety of said MM funds but I ain't trusting nobody in light of recent events. If and when things settle down, I'll go back into the MM accounts.
frayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Frayne, I too moved most of what I had in my Vanguard MM account to a 3 month CD at my local CU. It will allow me to sleep at night.
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #23

I have a number of money market accounts, most of which are backed by FDIC or some brokerage equivalent, but with the rumors about shaky insurance companies starting to circulate, there is at least one which still worries me. Is there a list somewhere of the institutions who have signed on to the "Treasure Guaranty Program"? I will certainly call the company, but, I usually like to see these things in print versus a offhand reply from a telephone jockey.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskadverse View Post
I have a number of money market accounts, most of which are backed by FDIC or some brokerage equivalent..
Just FWIW, there isn't a "brokerage equivalent" for the FDIC - just the new, temporary Fed guarantee program.
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I still have plenty of cash for short term needs in brokerage money market funds, and you can bet I'm paying attention to any Fed guarantee program and related timelines.

But I DID move a pretty big chunk into my bank account. This was mainly to make sure there were no interruptions in my short term cash flow.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #26

Whatever money was already in my Vanguard money market account when the sh!t his the fan, I've kept there for now. It's basically my dry powder for my IRA contributions and possibly some additional after-tax investments.

All new short-term/emergency savings I have diverted to FDIC insured savings accounts. That's only partly due to the recent mess though - I tapped my e-fund to pay down some debt recently, and I am building it back up. I have always kept that in FDIC insured accounts.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #27

I had about $17K left over from my husband's life insurance sitting in a Met Life money market account. I closed it out last week, rec'd the check and deposited it in my local credit union. The credit union put a hold on it for 5 days...I assume that's normal, but not sure.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #28

It is normal. Something they can do based loosely on post 9/11 rules.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Most of my cash is in Vanguard's Admiral Treasure Money Market Fund (VUSXX). I have a little in Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund (VMMXX) and a little in an FDIC-insured bank account.

Don't forget that over the weekend it was decided that the federal guarantee of money market funds was ONLY for money already there. New money deposited in MM accounts after last Friday will not be guaranteed. This is to prevent a run on the banks, where FDIC insured savings accounts often pay lower interest than MM funds.

OK, where did I read that. Umm. If I find the link, I'll post it.
I have heard several 'money people' speak about the treasury MM guarantee and not one mentions the above catch. I'm wondering if the "catch" applies just to the immediate guarantee that was issued to prevent a 'run' and when the fund applies for coverage then all future balances will be fully guaranteed.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I have heard several 'money people' speak about the treasury MM guarantee and not one mentions the above catch. I'm wondering if the "catch" applies just to the immediate guarantee that was issued to prevent a 'run' and when the fund applies for coverage then all future balances will be fully guaranteed.
I have heard/read it mentioned several times, though I have only been inspired to look up one citation for it. The Washington Post is reputable for some reason although it is not a Bible of financial or other information (especially for conservatives such as myself). Still, a person would have to be pretty slow to ignore something like this or assume anything otherwise until they have found something definite provided by an equally reliable source specifically saying the contrary, it seems to me. Caveat emptor.

The Crisis and Your Pocketbook - washingtonpost.com

Quote:
Last week, the U.S. Treasury Department promised to insure the value of deposits in money-market mutual funds, much the same way that the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. protects the first $100,000 in your bank account: Whatever you put in, the government now guarantees you'll get out.

However, the Treasury has since said that its umbrella is limited to deposits made before the close of business Sept. 19, the day the measure was announced. New accounts or money added to existing accounts will not be covered.

There's another catch: The guarantee is not automatic. Your money-market fund must pay a fee to participate in the program, and it's unclear which funds will join. The fee will probably be based on the amount of assets, although details are still being worked out, according to Treasury spokeswoman Jennifer Zuccarelli. The guarantee will last one year.

Money-market funds are operated by mutual fund companies. They are different from the money-market accounts offered by banks, which are federally insured and are advertised as a safe way to store money at higher interest rates than traditional savings accounts. Money-market funds are typically investments in short-term debt issued by large, stable institutions. That makes the funds low risk -- but not no risk.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I found a link at the Treasury Department that is intended to clarify this information, and mentions the September 19th date.

U.S. Treasury - Press Releases - September 2008

(Click on: "9/21/2008 Treasury Provides Clarity for Money Market Funds Guaranty Program")

Quote:
September 21, 2008
hp1151
Treasury Provides Further Clarity For Guaranty Program for Money Market Funds
Washington – The U.S. Treasury Department is continuing to develop the specific details surrounding the temporary guaranty program for money market funds that was announced on September 19, 2008.
While these details are being finalized, Treasury is making the following clarifications:
1. All money market mutual funds that are regulated under Rule 2a-7 of the Investment Company Act of 1940 and are publicly offered and registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission will be eligible to participate in the program.
2. Eligible funds include both taxable and tax-exempt money market funds. The Treasury and the IRS intend to issue guidance that will confirm that participation in the temporary guaranty program will not be treated as a federal guaranty that jeopardizes the tax-exempt treatment of payments by tax-exempt money market funds.
3. The temporary guaranty program will be designed to provide coverage to shareholders for amounts held by them in such funds as of the close of business on September 19, 2008.
4. Further details on other aspects of the temporary guaranty program and the required documentation for funds to participate will be provided in the coming days.
There are also two other related press releases, released on September 29th.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I found a link at the Treasury Department that is intended to clarify this information, and mentions the September 19th date.

U.S. Treasury - Press Releases - September 2008

(Click on: "9/21/2008 Treasury Provides Clarity for Money Market Funds Guaranty Program")

There are also two other related press releases, released on September
29th.
OK. That's a little clearer. So I guess there was never was any "temporary" temporary coverage for MM accounts. There is only the "temporary" insurance once your fund applies. :confused: And that only applies to balances as of 9/19/08.

Thanks for the info.