Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much do you spend on your hair at each visit ? women only
Under $20 22 22.92%
$20-$30 14 14.58%
$30-$40 13 13.54%
$40-$50 6 6.25%
above $50 41 42.71%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks everyone , It's been interesting to hear the various amounts . If I only cut my hair it would run $35 but the color doubles that amount . My hair grows fast and I have a short choppy cut so I visit the salon every six weeks .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

go every 6 weeks -$130 including tip

I view it as a job expense

ta,
mews

Old 05-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post
go every 6 weeks -$130 including tip

I view it as a job expense

ta,
mews
Maybe, but is it tax deductible?
Old 05-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
My hair grows; I pull it to the front on each side about twice a year and do a under-the-boob cut on each side. Otherwise just wash, dry and move on.
Definitely do this only when you are well rested, fully alert and not substance-impaired.

Ha
Old 05-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Of course ,it would be under the capital improvement category !

Business Expenses
Old 05-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I'm trying to work out what are the good bits about growing old.
For a woman, that look of experience and mystery in her eyes. Young girls just can't do that.

Ha
Old 05-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
For a woman, that look of experience and mystery in her eyes. Young girls just can't do that.

Ha
Awww, Ha, you are a hopeless romantic!
Old 05-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Of course ,it would be under the capital improvement category !

Business Expenses
But it has to be for income producing assets.

As a follow-on topic, I wonder if the IRS would allow a model to deduct the cost of her make-up, clothes, and hairdos. Perhaps it is a moot point, as these are probably supplied by the hiring agency and do not come out of her pocketbook.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But it has to be for income producing assets.

As a follow-on topic, I wonder if the IRS would allow a model to deduct the cost of her make-up, clothes, and hairdos. Perhaps it is a moot point, as these are probably supplied by the hiring agency and do not come out of her pocketbook.

Well then you can always meet a client at the salon and write it off as a business expense . What better place to talk business while we are waiting for our colors to take ? Add in a pedicure and you will seal the deal for most women !
Old 05-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

I noticed that no one put down wearing a wig. I love them and have quite a collection. I love to play around with different styles lengths and color. If it had my hair processed to reflect the different styles I'd be bald and broke. Wigs are a great way to change up your look with out the commitment expense and time of having your own hair done. Also great for those "bad hair days" when your own hair just will not cooperate.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Awww, Ha, you are a hopeless romantic!
I love his being a hopeless romantic!
Old 05-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I wish!!

Thank goodness I now wear pants to work and don't have to snarl to myself about the $$ spent on pantyhose!

ta,
mew
Old 05-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
I noticed that no one put down wearing a wig. I love them and have quite a collection. I love to play around with different styles lengths and color. If it had my hair processed to reflect the different styles I'd be bald and broke. Wigs are a great way to change up your look with out the commitment expense and time of having your own hair done. Also great for those "bad hair days" when your own hair just will not cooperate.
Hmmmm...wigs...interesting. I don't think I could wear one all day long, but the thought is appealing for....ummmm...nightwear.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #74
Confused about dryer sheets

I get a cut about every 6 weeks for about $50 including tip. Color and cut every 12 weeks - if I'm lucky they are running a "free cut with color special" and I get it for about $100. But, I'd rather scrimp somewhere else than give up my cuts and colors!
Old 05-23-2010, 04:37 AM   #75

I hate going to hair salon - feels like a waste of time but a necessary evil. So, I wear my hair layered and long - go for a trim twice a year. Need to colour quarterly and do the roots myself monthly. Actually, one hairdresser advised to do the roots myself at home - saves so much time and money. I would love not to colour my hair but when one has naturally black hair, it's difficult to grow grey gracefully. In anycase, each visit for cut, colour and special conditioning costs around $100.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hmmmm...wigs...interesting. I don't think I could wear one all day long, but the thought is appealing for....ummmm...nightwear.
Yes. You have hit on another fun advantage to wigs.......the one hubby likes.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
....as part of the outfit with the boots, the bustier and the whip?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
I hate going to hair salon - feels like a waste of time but a necessary evil. So, I wear my hair layered and long - go for a trim twice a year. Need to colour quarterly and do the roots myself monthly. Actually, one hairdresser advised to do the roots myself at home - saves so much time and money. I would love not to colour my hair but when one has naturally black hair, it's difficult to grow grey gracefully. In anycase, each visit for cut, colour and special conditioning costs around $100.
I would like to know if anyone has taken the plunge and just stopped colouring. How did you deal with the ugly transition? Did you just accept the stares, shave your head, or wear a scarf? When your true colour was revealed, did you feel older? Were you retired or working when you did it?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would like to know if anyone has taken the plunge and just stopped colouring. How did you deal with the ugly transition? Did you just accept the stares, shave your head, or wear a scarf? When your true colour was revealed, did you feel older? Were you retired or working when you did it?

I haven't taken the plunge yet but a few of my friends have and the ones that look good were blonds and they have short cuts so the transition was smooth . One of my friends that recently went gray is a twin and I have to say her hair is a gorgeous shade of gray but her sister who is still blond looks younger . One of my friends is retired and the other two are still working . I also swim with a woman who went gray and it is an awful shade and it makes her complexion look ashy. She was a brunette . I'm waiting for my older sister to go gray first . No way am I going to look older than her . She'd enjoy it too much !
Old 05-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I haven't taken the plunge yet but a few of my friends have and the ones that look good were blonds and they have short cuts so the transition was smooth . One of my friends that recently went gray is a twin and I have to say my her is a gorgeous shade of gray but her sister who is still blond looks younger . One of my friends is retired and the other two are still working . I also swim with a woman who went gray and it is an awful shade and it makes her complexion look ashy. She was a brunette . I'm waiting for my older sister to go gray first . No way am I going to look older than her . She'd enjoy it too much !
I don't see any reason to ever quit coloring. If men were judged the same way women are, I would color too.

Ha