Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much do you spend on your hair at each visit ? women only
Under $20 22 22.92%
$20-$30 14 14.58%
$30-$40 13 13.54%
$40-$50 6 6.25%
above $50 41 42.71%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I shall not be goaded...
I shall not be goaded...
I shall not be goaded...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Old 05-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I get a haircut every couple of months but my hair color is L'Oreal Dark Blonde. If I want highlights, those too come right out of the box. I know that my hair would look better if I paid $100 at the salon.
But I'm cheap on some things.
I pay more for my dog at the grooming salon!
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

$70 to cut and shape my thick, aggressively curly hair. If it's not cut properly, it turns into a big triangle around my face. When it's cut properly, though, I get compliments right and left. I won't go back to any hairdresser who insists - over my objections- on trying to straighten it, as if it were something to be ashamed of.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I get my hair cut about every 6 weeks for $35 including tip. I color my own hair and it cost me about $10 a month (depending on the coupons I can find.....) The good lord has created the highlights for me.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to have my dh cut it, but decided to go professional. It's shoulder length and layered and I get it cut about twice a year for $40 including tip. I decided to let the color grow out and go natural - nature's highlights - aka gray. So I spend about $80 per year which is actually less than dh spends - he spends about $14 (incl. tip) per month at the barber shop.
becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Voted for my DW who is still gainfully empl*yed....voted above $50 (times 3 or 4 ) and that's every month or less....

But what's hers is HERS....for that matter it seems that what's mine is hers too
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #48

$0 - I've never spent a penny in my life having my hair done.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Most men gay or not do not spend a lot on their hair . They go for cuts only . Guys for some reason look great with gray hair , white hair or no hair !
Maybe it's the wax he was referring to?

Ha
Old 05-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
$0 - I've never spent a penny in my life having my hair done.
Wow....nothing?

Nobody to cut it? No color?....no water to wash it? (OK...so that's not HAVING it done....but SHAM-WOW!)

Whew!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:03 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
Wow....nothing?

Nobody to cut it? No color?....no water to wash it? (OK...so that's not HAVING it done....but SHAM-WOW!)

Whew!
Of course, in my world, "having my hair done" means someone else doing it.

My hair grows; I pull it to the front on each side about twice a year and do a under-the-boob cut on each side. Otherwise just wash, dry and move on.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #52

I would like to know why the hair on your head goes gray and thin yet elsewhere on your body it seems to grow like wildfire and all black of course. Just noticed this week that my moustache is about to rival my husbands. So am off to get a consultation for laser hair removal. I'm trying to work out what are the good bits about growing old.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Me too...however every once in a while I'll give them a little snip, but then the next time my stylist sees me she says "You've been cutting your bangs again haven't you?"

Ooops....

Isn't it funny how our stylist can make us feel like a naughty child
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Well, as long as she has a wad of my hair in one hand and sharp scissors in the other, I'll be good.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Most men gay or not do not spend a lot on their hair . They go for cuts only . Guys for some reason look great with gray hair , white hair or no hair !
Yup. My DH is a "silver fox". I love his gray hair. I color mine myself and see my good friends at the local Hair Cuttery for a trim every month or two.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #56

A few years ago I used to get my hair cut. But I was never satisfied with the way she cut it. I was never that thrilled with the way anybody cut it. Three years ago or so I decided to try it myself. If I don't like it, it doesn't bother me since I'm the one who cut it. But actually I prefer the way I cut it. They always cut it way too short. I don't like perfect cut hair either. I bought 3 types of scissors (not cheap) and started cutting. I stop when I'm satisfied. I dry cut. It's easier.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #57

I spend around $60.00 every 3-4 months for color and cut. I color my roots about half way in between myself. My hair is shoulder length and no bangs.

I told a lady that I usher with at church that I really liked her new hair cut and asked her where she has it cut. She gave me the salon's name and later wrote it down for me with the phone number. She told me that she was going this week for a trim and she would tell him that I was going to call him. I found out that he charges $35.00 for a cut. I usually pay $15.00 and hate to pay that much for a cut. Now, I feel almost obligated to go to him for the haircut. I know that I would get a much nicer haircut and I have not been real happy with the way my current hairdresser cuts my hair. However, this is a shorter cut, which means that I would have to get it cut more frequently. I really wish that I was not so frugal sometimes and would quit worrying over such a trivial thing, but that is my nature.

I like the way my hairdresser colors my hair and I think that it is only $40.00, but I would feel bad going to her for just my color. She would know that I did not like the way she was cutting my hair. For the record, I tried to let my hair go gray, but it did not look good at all. That was several years ago and I wonder what it would look like now. My grandfather had snow white hair and I would let it go natural if it looked like his or was a pretty gray.

Quick question: Are you supposed to tip the owner of the salon? The $35.00 hair cut guy is the owner and it would help if I did not have to tip him, but that might have only applied in the past. I would probably feel bad if I did not tip him, unless I knew this old rule still applied.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I never go. Trim my own hair. I really don't like those places and I really don't like how they screw up my curls. And I don't like their passive aggressive insults in their attempts to get me pay for more.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #59

I also wear a basic "bob" with bangs. I get it cut about once every six months or when I can't stand it any more. I pay $20 plus tip for a cut; I do my own color.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #60

I pay $50 for cut plus tip. I go between 6-12 months apart! Sometimes I get it cut shorter (still below my shoulder) and as it grows it looks like different haircuts along the way, i'll cut bangs here or there - then all of a sudden it's been a year! woops!

I'm vowing to go more often now, but i'm also keeping it longer so it starts bugging faster...