Monte Carlo Excel Add-In

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone have experience or recs concerning Monte Carl Engine add-ins for Excel? I know there are a number of them around, but I feel at a loss to evaluate them as to power, ease of use, etc.

I'm not looking for a dedicated retirement calculator, just a general purpose M.C. engine.

Thanks, Ha

Sure

I use crystal ball from Decisioneering at work. I think the cheapest version is $700 which is probably more than you're looking for.

I remember seeing a pretty cool one intended for investors called Portfolio Survival simulator. I think it was like $20 or so. If I remember, the guy stopped updating it last year, but as long as you don't mind running you own correlation matrix it shouldn't be a problem.

I also use Crystal Ball at work and like it a lot but as Saluki9 says it is pricey if you are paying for it yourself.

MB

mb said:
I also use Crystal Ball at work and like it a lot but as Saluki9 says it is pricey if you are paying for it yourself.

MB

yeah, I just checked out the website. $850 for the basic, and the full version we use is $2350 Gulp :eek:

Found this... http://www.effisols.com/home.htm

Hi Again,

MVO is certainly affordable, and since I need money for an old pickup to use around home, I think I would prefer it to Crystal Ball right now!

But I may keep looking, because what I am looking for is more a general tool to help me get a more intuitive understanding of statistics in a number of areas, including option modeling.

I am not really that concerned specifically with portfolio survival, and since I don't use mutual funds much, any attempt to construct a "efficient frontier" would likely be gigo for me.

Thinks to both of you for sharing your experiences..

Ha

Back
Top Bottom