Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sooo - like er ah 'mentioned' over at the Bogleheads - how do you say Pssst- Dividends in Norwegian? Better than beer in Austrialian.

I could have said pssst Wellesley. But this forum has a lock on the good stuff.

In hard times nailing down some income is sometimes better than over trying to catch inflation.

heh heh heh - remember what S.I. Hayakawa said math models are not always stocks that pay dividends. ok ok so he said something else. .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I guess that's it for the Early Retirement Forums.

Please turn out the lights if you're the last one to leave.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:15 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
In reality, Monte Carlo can only "estimate" or "simulate" risks that have already occurred. If you understand it in THAT context, with the understanding that the future may not resemble the past, it is likely prudent to add a "margin of safety" to their estimates to account for the potential future scenarios that Monte Carlo can't predict.

Not really, MC analyses use a stochastic model that doesn't bear any relation to historical data. Depending on the model used, you could simulate a world with much fatter tails than anything we've experienced, or vice versa.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Not really, MC analyses use a stochastic model that doesn't bear any relation to historical data. Depending on the model used, you could simulate a world with much fatter tails than anything we've experienced, or vice versa.
That was my understanding of MC simulation. This is why they say 90% success rate is pretty good on MC because of all the "end of world" scenario's included, that while possible, are not probable.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
That was my understanding of MC simulation. This is why they say 90% success rate is pretty good on MC because of all the "end of world" scenario's included, that while possible, are not probable.
You don't really know if 90% success is good or not unless you know about the underlying data being used. It would be easy (though irresponsible) to have an assumed data set that was more optimistic (i.e. fewer very bad years) than those already seen in the real world, in which case even 100% success could be produced by a really bad portfolio.

It's all about the "fattness" of the tails of the distribution.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
This can be true but I think it muddies the waters even more. How do we know how to assign the probability of something that hasn't happened in the modern history of the developed markets?

I think trying to use MC for anything more than seeing how you would fare under the universe of actual results is about the best we can hope for, and then add a bit of a margin of safety that might help increase survivability through unprecedented future market environments.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
You don't really know if 90% success is good or not unless you know about the underlying data being used. It would be easy (though irresponsible) to have an assumed data set that was more optimistic (i.e. fewer very bad years) than those already seen in the real world, in which case even 100% success could be produced by a really bad portfolio.

It's all about the "fattness" of the tails of the distribution.
That's the general complaint about MC simulations.