Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #41
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Thanks I was looking in my make up drawer and feeling guilty . Plus i"m one of those $88 a month on my hair harlots !
I don't wear makeup.

I buff my nails.

Don't cut or dye my hair. The hair seems to have 'stopped by itself' (from the song "Hair") at waist length, medium brown and grey around the edges; I wear it in a bun or braid(s) or pulled back with a clasp or just leave it down. (Now for the lecture that older women shouldn't have long hair.)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #42
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Sometimes that's really necessary, after being outside in New Orleans in the summer, or gardening in the dirt, and so on. On workdays it's not usually practical, but weekends are another matter.

I do tend to take brief showers, though, since I was brought up to do that. It really doesn't take more than five minutes to soap all over and scrub everything thoroughly and rinse, if you don't loiter.

As for toilet paper, I wasn't counting that as a toiletry. It''s paper goods.

Oh, and I, too, plan to cut my hair after retirement. Why not? I only go to Supercuts to make sure it's absolutely perfectly even in the back, for work.

But I can't believe how you all are talking about skimping on deodorant after retirement. To me that shows no self respect (in our culture).
In the winter I don't use deodorant unless I leave the house (I keep the place at 60F), that's two or three times a week.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ever notice how, if you shampoo your hair then rinse and repeat, the shampoo lathers much more the second time? Even if you use just a tiny bit of shampoo the second time around, you get plenty of lather.

I take advantage of this by using a cheap shampoo (e.g. Suave at $1/bottle) for the first time through, and then use just a few drops of the more expensive shampoo the second time through.

Use this tip today, and send your worries about the current market slump down the drain!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I take advantage of this by using a cheap shampoo (e.g. Suave at $1/bottle) for the first time through, and then use just a few drops of the more expensive shampoo the second time through.
Use this tip today, and send your worries about the current market slump down the drain!
Al, I'm shocked, shocked I say, that you wash your hair twice. Doesn't the shampoo get it clean on the first pass?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I am shocked too! I only wash my hair once and it seems clean enough to me--I do the squeak test.

Been using Aussie Mega shampoo for years. Use that instead of soap too.

Dry off the razor and it will last a lot longer.

Too much info?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nords, T-Al has to make his hair fluffy - that is what the second "wash" does for most people!

So he goes from to !
Old 11-12-2008, 10:14 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
Nords, T-Al has to make his hair fluffy - that is what the second "wash" does for most people!
I think that would earn me a bunch of odd looks at the post-surfing beach shower...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Al, I use Suave for both first and second times! I think Suave is a great bargain and it seems to handle my hair as well as other brands. Plus, Suave has really cool tropical scents like coconut, which I have right now. I think the bottle before this one was mango scented or something.

I always wash my hair twice because that way I'm sure I got it clean the first time. If it doesn't take more than a few drops, then I know I did a good job.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

I'm also into the $1/bottle shampoo. It can be found on the bottom shelf at the drugstore. I'm on the second bottle of White Rain Energizing Citrus, enriched with orange, fruit extract and provitamin B5, 18 fl oz. While using the first bottle, I realized I was pouring out more than I need, so now I just use a daub and wash only once, but every day. I figure I can enjoy the expensive stuff every six weeks along with a professional hair cut. I see no difference between this and my old more expensive brands.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
You are a woman just not into all that stuff . I'm not into a lot but I absolutely will not leave my house without a light foundation ,mascara & lipstick and I do love Body Butter and a nice conditioner .I guess I am slightly high maintenance
Moemg, I think you and I could hang out together safely and not feel guilty about being migh maintenance. However if you consider yourself slightly high maintenance I am off the scale. I spend at least $100 a month on getting my hair done, have to have the roots done every 4 weeks and throw in regular highlights/lowlights. Add in the products - I only buy high quality shampoo conditioners, plus defrizzers, sprays to add body etc. A pedicure once a month is a basic necessity. Deodrant is Estee Lauder roll on. I love body creams, my favourite is from Kai which cost $30 I think. Soap - I only buy Claus Porto which is about $15 a bar, however is well worth the money and it must be good as even DH agrees. Perfumes - I only use one - Aqua di Palma which is $125 a bottle.

That said, I know we could save money if I gave these things up, however for me if we can't afford these things do we really have enough to retire and maintain the lifestyle we enjoy?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

If you utilize the drug store sale programs in conjunction with manufacturers coupons - i.e., CVS-Extra Care Bucks or Rite-Aid rebates you will spend $0 for shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, razors plus many other toiletries - I have a closet supply to last a life time.
becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I hope things never get that bad where I start tracking toilet paper.
Don't laugh, I know people who go to the bathroom at work and the mall to save. I can't believe it, not my style.
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #53

We have a category in our budget called "Wal-Mart", although technically that means money we spend at stores like Target, K-Mart, etc. also. We don't like the produce and meats at Wal-Mart, so we grocery shop elsewhere. Sure, we get some 'boxed' foods at Wal-Mart, things like soda, oatmeal, soups, etc....but they don't often have the items we want, such as the spicy stir-fry sauce we love and quality spices.

But I must say I focus on the large expenses...I think that's where I save most of my money. Anything under $100 we don't worry too much about....we just buy it (within reason). However, I recently purchased a 58" plasma TV, and I spent hours researching that purchase and negotiating a deal with a vendor

Dave
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Not retired, yet. So I don't know why I find this thread so interesting, but I do.

I'd expect that when I return to the USA, my first stop will be to Costco or SAMS for a membership -where you can buy toiletries at bulk and save $$$$.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #55

I buy a special shampoo for grey hair. I don't use it every time I shampoo just once in a while. When I use, it I mix it with Suave so that it lasts longer.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #56
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I buy a special shampoo for grey hair. I don't use it every time I shampoo just once in a while. When I use, it I mix it with Suave so that it lasts longer.
What does it do?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
What does it do?
The special shampoo gives my gray more of a silver tint. It also keeps the gray from turning yellow. You just use it like a shampoo and leave it in your hair for about 3 minutes then rinse it out.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #58
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Moemg, I think you and I could hang out together safely and not feel guilty about being migh maintenance. However if you consider yourself slightly high maintenance I am off the scale. I spend at least $100 a month on getting my hair done, have to have the roots done every 4 weeks and throw in regular highlights/lowlights. Add in the products - I only buy high quality shampoo conditioners, plus defrizzers, sprays to add body etc. A pedicure once a month is a basic necessity. Deodrant is Estee Lauder roll on. I love body creams, my favourite is from Kai which cost $30 I think. Soap - I only buy Claus Porto which is about $15 a bar, however is well worth the money and it must be good as even DH agrees. Perfumes - I only use one - Aqua di Palma which is $125 a bottle.

That said, I know we could save money if I gave these things up, however for me if we can't afford these things do we really have enough to retire and maintain the lifestyle we enjoy?

I 'm also a once a month pedicure person ( a necessity if you live in sandals ).My make up is Estee Lauder and I adore Body Butter from the body shop . My perfume is Innis which is Irish perfume . The good thing is if the stock market doesn't rebound I have some areas where I can cut corners .Where as the no maintenace people have no frills to cut !!
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
The special shampoo gives my gray more of a silver tint. It also keeps the gray from turning yellow. You just use it like a shampoo and leave it in your hair for about 3 minutes then rinse it out.
Can you give us the name?

ha
Old 11-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Can you give us the name?