Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

REW, that is mean! But actually I did think that maybe that shampoo they were talking about for gray hair would have some bluing in it.

I had a lovely white horse for years, and before horse shows I'd wash him with a very expensive horse shampoo called Quicksilver, that would make his white just glow rather than look all yellowish. It was purple and of course had bluing in it. We'd also use some sort of human shampoo called fresh and fancy or something in a pinch.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a CVS Extra Care Bucks gal like Becca. If any of you cheapskates want more info go to Hot Coupon World and then on to the Drugstore thread. They post the ads several weeks in advance and then go on to explain where to find the coupons to match the deals. I haven't paid dime one for toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, razors, deodorant in the 3 years I've been drinking the Kool-Aid. What you don't use can be donated to the food bank.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I don't wear makeup.

I buff my nails.

Don't cut or dye my hair. The hair seems to have 'stopped by itself' (from the song "Hair") at waist length, medium brown and grey around the edges; I wear it in a bun or braid(s) or pulled back with a clasp or just leave it down. (Now for the lecture that older women shouldn't have long hair.)
Khan, I think that people have stopped the older women and long hair bit. I've never known anyone to think that Emmy Lou Harris looks anything but wonderful with long silver hair!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

I participate in online surveys where I earn a few extra dollars. Occasionally I get to try a new product and evaluate it. Right now I'm evaluating Pantene; my usual brand is Suave. I've seen nothing better with the Pantene that would lead me to buy it over Pantene. Maybe some toiletries/grooming items are worthwhile to spend more money on---but shampoo definitely isn't one of them.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #65
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
I participate in online surveys where I earn a few extra dollars. Occasionally I get to try a new product and evaluate it. Right now I'm evaluating Pantene; my usual brand is Suave. I've seen nothing better with the Pantene that would lead me to buy it over Pantene. Maybe some toiletries/grooming items are worthwhile to spend more money on---but shampoo definitely isn't one of them.
I have also participated in surveys/free samples. Also have never seen improvement over the cheap stuff (except maybe the smells).
Old 11-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2007 View Post
I'm out in pubic a lot
REALLY?

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Kind of a high maintenance gal myself. Haircut/highlights/lowlights every 6 weeks - $100, dept. store brands makeup but that usually lasts a good long while, Philosphy bath gel and lotion and I buy salon shampoo (helps save the lowlights). On the upside, I don't do manicures, pedicures, facials or massage. I can cut back to nearly nothing - just don't want to.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
OK, I'm doing my annual review of expenses and am wondering what other people spend on toiletries every month. I lump all of them in with groceries. This would include soap, shampoo, toothpaste, laundry detergent, contact solution, etc...basically stuff that keeps you looking presentable and functioning. Looks like right around $30 from what I can gather.
i'll guess maybe $20.
our biggest replacement item is laundry detergent and bar soap. i use body wash, but dh2b insists on bar soap, name brand.
i don't wear makeup daily, do not color or perm my hair, and do my own in-between trims on my bangs and face framing hair to keep the appts at a minimum. i can go 1 month without a haircut before the shaggy dog look takes over. then i go get it done again, cut very short. i get three different looks per month with the length changes.
we both wear our hair short, so shampoo is minimal.
i go to the dollar store for all toiletries. name brands are often $2-3 cheaper there in large containers. i save smaller size containers and refill them myself.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I'm out in pubic a lot
REALLY?

last time i tried that........i was at Woodstock 99. it all started when...

oh never mind. i prefer to stay on the safe side of the blade.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

The fact that this thread has stayed on topic with such a wacky subject while so many deep and serious threads degenerate into silliness says a lot about the participants. So what's next, back to counting and cutting dryer sheets?
Old 11-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
The fact that this thread has stayed on topic with such a wacky subject while so many deep and serious threads degenerate into silliness says a lot about the participants. So what's next, back to counting and cutting dryer sheets?
I blush to admit it here, but I'm too cheap thrifty to use dryer sheets.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I don't use them either.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
it is badly needed group therapy.
it surely beats the heck outta talking about the m*rk*t.
i propose the next topic we talk about is....<drum roll>...TOENAILS.
pictures are encouraged but not mandatory. get your digital cameras ready to go.
anyone wanna pick up THAT gauntlet?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #74
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I'm too cheap to have a dryer.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Can you give us the name?

ha
Yep it's purple... What I'm using now is Nexus Simply Silver and what I have for the next bottle (purchased when on sale) is Pantene Silver Expressions. I mix a little in the palm of my hand with some Suave. It lasts longer that way and I don't see much difference when using it that way.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had a lovely white horse for years, and before horse shows I'd wash him with a very expensive horse shampoo called Quicksilver, that would make his white just glow rather than look all yellowish
I bet it's cheaper than Suave on a per-ounce basis. Maybe we can organize an ER-Forum group buy.

How much is the horse chow?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I'm too cheap to have a dryer.
Years ago, we tried hang drying. It did not work for us in the hot and dry AZ climate. Clothes came out stiff, bone dry, and crackling like tortilla chips! Then, we have to spend more time for ironing. Bath towels felt like sand paper!

It could be because of the hard water or lack of fabric softener.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

We'd love to have that line drying problem. Clothes generally have to hang for two days here in order to dry. We usually put them out all day, then run them in the dryer for 10 minutes.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:11 AM   #79
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Years ago, we tried hang drying. It did not work for us in the hot and dry AZ climate. Clothes came out stiff, bone dry, and crackling like tortilla chips! Then, we have to spend more time for ironing. Bath towels felt like sand paper!

I have a water softener.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

What time of the day were you hanging them out? Last time I lived in a really hot climate I used to do my washing early evening. The sun would be down, but the air warm enough to dry the clothes.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote