Monthly cost of toiletries

I had a lovely white horse for years, and before horse shows I'd wash him with a very expensive horse shampoo called Quicksilver, that would make his white just glow rather than look all yellowish

I bet it's cheaper than Suave on a per-ounce basis. Maybe we can organize an ER-Forum group buy.

How much is the horse chow?

I'm too cheap to have a dryer.

Years ago, we tried hang drying. It did not work for us in the hot and dry AZ climate. Clothes came out stiff, bone dry, and crackling like tortilla chips! Then, we have to spend more time for ironing. Bath towels felt like sand paper! :p

It could be because of the hard water or lack of fabric softener.

We'd love to have that line drying problem. Clothes generally have to hang for two days here in order to dry. We usually put them out all day, then run them in the dryer for 10 minutes.

Years ago, we tried hang drying. It did not work for us in the hot and dry AZ climate. Clothes came out stiff, bone dry, and crackling like tortilla chips! Then, we have to spend more time for ironing. Bath towels felt like sand paper! :p

I have a water softener.

What time of the day were you hanging them out? Last time I lived in a really hot climate I used to do my washing early evening. The sun would be down, but the air warm enough to dry the clothes.

I like that scratchy towel feeling from line drying. Makes me feel like the towels are really soaking up the moisture when I use them. In the winter when the air is so dry I often dry towels on the radiators.

I stopped using a dryer and don't really miss it. I don't know what the utility bill is (we pay at the end of the year rather than monthly), but it has be put a big dent in the bill.
Don't mind the towels being hard or the blue jeans being rough.

I stopped using a dryer and don't really miss it. I don't know what the utility bill is (we pay at the end of the year rather than monthly), but it has be put a big dent in the bill.
Don't mind the towels being hard or the blue jeans being rough.

Us too we stoped using the dryer years ago also. About the only draw back is the winter thick socks, jeans and sweaters can take up to three days to dry, but I don't wash them to often.

Last edited:
We'd love to have that line drying problem. Clothes generally have to hang for two days here in order to dry. We usually put them out all day, then run them in the dryer for 10 minutes.

And spray a bit of Clorox to kill the mildew?

I have a water softener.

That was before we had a water softener, and have not tried again. Talking about water softeners, mine broke recently, and I may not replace it. Hard water reduces corrosion of copper pipes, and is better for your heart, I have read.

What time of the day were you hanging them out? Last time I lived in a really hot climate I used to do my washing early evening. The sun would be down, but the air warm enough to dry the clothes.

We often forgot and left them out all day.

I like the soft, fluffy feel of fabric that I get from the drier. Ironically, the dry air here in AZ means it does not take long to machine dry them. I often wonder if I should build an intake airduct to get the hot air from the attic, and disconnect the dryer heater. Air in the attic gets to 140-150 degF in the summer!

Anyway, we run the dryer during the off-peak period, when it costs just 6c/kWh.

I like that scratchy towel feeling from line drying. Makes me feel like the towels are really soaking up the moisture when I use them. In the winter when the air is so dry I often dry towels on the radiators.

Don't even need to do that here, even in the winter. Just hang them up to dry. Wash them when they no longer smell fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
I have a water softener.

That was before we had a water softener, and have not tried again. Talking about water softeners, mine broke recently, and I may not replace it. Hard water reduces corrosion of copper pipes, and is better for your heart, I have read.

Several years back, the softener stopped working and I developed a rash/itch, apparently from detergent residue. I don't have copper pipes.

i propose the next topic we talk about is....<drum roll>...TOENAILS.
pictures are encouraged but not mandatory. get your digital cameras ready to go.
anyone wanna pick up THAT gauntlet? >:D
You rang?......

Attachments

• 2422457074_0d77743737_m[1].jpg
    2422457074_0d77743737_m[1].jpg
    14 KB · Views: 60
Like others, I include this with “supermarket”.

But I was curious about “national averages”, so I looked at the Consumer Expenditure Survey. They have “Personal care products and services”, which include “products for the hair,oral hygiene products, shaving needs, cosmetics and bath products, electric personal care appliances, other personal care products, personal care services for males and females.” I assume that haircuts etc are included and are significant for a lot of people.

The numbers below are “Personal Care” / “Food at Home”For particular types of consumers. I thought I would throw in the food just for a reference.

Single females, Income $30k-$40k, $560 / $1,795
Single males,... Income $30k-$40k, $203 / $1,641

Couples,......... Income $50k-$70k, $603 / $3,218

If I do the ratios of PC dividend by (PC plus Food at home), I get 24%, 11%, 16%

CE Cross-tabulated Tables

I'm too cheap to have a dryer.
i've 100% adopted the method of drying towels and jeans and smaller items (yes, undies and sox!) on a line in laundry room first, re-using the residual heat from the furnace. a few light shirts go on hangers on copper water pipes up above. when dry, they go for a very short spin for wrinkles and the "cardboard towel effect". it has made a difference in my electric and natural gas bill. :D
Mr. Lincoln is crying again. :'(

You rang?......
you go girl! i knew i could depend on ya! :2funny:

now...if anyone asks me really nicely, i'll take a pic of my toes.

oh, did I forget to mention this? i'm missing the large toenail on each foot. they were surgically removed :dead: :dead: years ago due to ingrowns that wouldn't behave themselves.
any takers? :D

i'd be happy to start a new thread for a "Gallery of Toes", FIRE style. just say the word...

Please no more foot photos! I sold shoes back in the day and the sight of just one more hammer toe will put me over the edge!

you go girl! i knew i could depend on ya! :2funny:

now...if anyone asks me really nicely, i'll take a pic of my toes.

oh, did I forget to mention this? i'm missing the large toenail on each foot. they were surgically removed :dead: :dead: years ago due to ingrowns that wouldn't behave themselves.
any takers? :D

i'd be happy to start a new thread for a "Gallery of Toes", FIRE style. just say the word...

Do it. I double dog dare ya!

Back
Top Bottom