more couples disagree over their retirement plans

Well, it's been over two years since I started this thread...

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/tips-on-getting-so-involved-in-finances-25687.html

I'm happy to say things have worked out well. Over the last two years, periodically, I've brought up our financial situation and what it would take for him to retire and what needs to be done after he retires.

Now, we just have to figure out how to invest the 401K and the partial lump sum from his pension....if I can get him off his motorcycle. The saga continues...:p

DW and I agree completely agree on the retirement plan. We split duties. I'm in charge of making and investing the money and she is in charge of spending the money. I think we are both experts in our areas of concentration.

90% kidding here, of course. :)

That's how it works in our house, or it did until I quit making it. Fortunately, DW isn't nearly as good at her job as I am at mine.

On a serious note, we have always kept our finances totally separate because of Canadian tax laws. DW's money, such as it is, comes from a small inheritance that I've invested for her. Over 20 years, it has become a substantial sum. Since DW left the work force when 1st kid was born and never re-entered due to health problems, we wanted her money to grow (again for tax reasons) to equalize retirement income.

DW has absolutely no interest in anything financial. If I croak tomorrow, I've left her a letter with our wills. It (more or less) says "here's a list of what we have, take it to XYZ company", who are a reasonably cheap and reasonably good money management company. The alternative would be for her to get suckered in by the Canadian equivalent of Ameriprise.

I'm sorry if my post hit a nerve with some people it was not intended to be personal just a reflection on all relationships . Just like my thread on helping your children some people said "It is their problem " .What happened to families and close relationships where we all helped each other ? Somehow we've lost sight of that and as a society we've gotten selfish or maybe I'm a sap for feeling this way ?

It's OK to be a sap. :D

I agree with you, but do have a comment/issue. It's much easier to be close, loving, and understanding when everyody carries their own weight. I would never turn my back on a family member or friend if they needed help due to some problem or unforeseen catastrophe. However, when you've got somebody who refuses to be responsible, it's not "help" to carry them on your back. Our society has lost the concept of personal responsibility, and it's impacting the traditional family relationships. I don't like it, but I do understand it.

I'm sorry if my post hit a nerve with some people it was not intended to be personal just a reflection on all relationships . Just like my thread on helping your children some people said "It is their problem " .What happened to families and close relationships where we all helped each other ? Somehow we've lost sight of that and as a society we've gotten selfish or maybe I'm a sap for feeling this way ?

I found the idea of 'helping children' interesting. Searched for but didn't find it. Can you post a link?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom