Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is almost comical. "At 28 she's doing something she never thought she'd do again: go job hunting" Really now.

"She took the leap to financial independence..." On about $150K? "Now she's living with her parents..."

This article isn't about dashed dreams, this is about utter, sheer stupidity.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
"She took the leap to financial independence..." On about $150K? "Now she's living with her parents..."
c'mon, don't be so harsh - you know $150K will last 70 years, easy

i'm not very good at math - what's that, $6K a year using the 4% rule?

Old 12-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
It's not FIRE if you weren't FI. It's just quitting your job and winging it.
#this
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #24

"....hmmm...this FIRE 'movement' sounds like fun.
I think I'll do that.
I'll start tomorrow and quit my job.
And I'll never have to work again, because I'll be like, FIRE!
Heck, I've got $100K stashed away, which is like...a million dollars!, right?!
And I'll go travelling, like to Paris and spend a month at the Ritz, like where that Princess Di and her dude were at, like before she was killed or something.
And it will be so totally awesome and I can send pictures to my friends on insta and everything!"
Old 12-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Quote:
#this
New acronym: WIRE (Wing It, Retire Early)

Or

WIRES (Wing It, Retire Early Stupid)

100% x 10% > 10% x 100%
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I may have done this FIRE thing before it became fashionable:

1. Left home at 17, lived with a friend until I got my draft notice at 19. Did a little "freelance stuff". but hey, that's not real work!

2. Out of Military, no job, lived at home until I left again and moved in with working GF (school teacher). She supported US for 4 years while I went to college. Boy that was a fun time while being FI!

3. Big divorce when I was 49 and lost my VP job in California. Lived with sister for 9 months before finding a job in Texas. Blew threw almost $300k (lawyers, alimony, child support, new girlfriends). I wish I had more $$$ to make FI lst longer.

The only problem with FIRE at an early age is you find out you just need a lot of cash or a working partner willing to support you!
Old 12-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The only problem with FIRE at an early age is you find out you just need a lot of cash or a working partner willing to support you!
yep - that's how DW FIRED in 1997
Old 12-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I may have done this FIRE thing before it became fashionable:

1. Left home at 17, lived with a friend until I got my draft notice at 19. Did a little "freelance stuff". but hey, that's not real work!

2. Out of Military, no job, lived at home until I jeft again and moved in with working GF (school teacher). She supported US for 4 years while I went to college. Boy that was a fun time while being FI!

3. Big divorce when I was 49 and lost my VP job in California. Lived with sister for 9 months before finding a job in Texas. Blew threw almost $300k (lawyers, alimony, child support, new girlfriends). I wish I had more $$$ to make FI lst longer.
I know, right? At least, nobody added your story in an online article. What is mystifying to me is that her story made a cut for this FI article.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:50 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Aerides nailed it!

Actually, these articles arenít as annoying to me as they seem to be to some people. What is completely ridiculous to me is the ad at the bottom of the page when I looked at the article. The ad said basically...you need $525287 to retire for an income of $67,796! Now there are many, many threads debating SWR but I donít recall anyone ever advocating a 13% SWR!! I didnít follow the links in the ad to see what sort of snake oil they were selling..I just shook my head and thought no way.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
Actually, these articles arenít as annoying to me as they seem to be to some people. What is completely ridiculous to me is the ad at the bottom of the page when I looked at the article. The ad said basically...you need $525287 to retire for an income of $67,796! Now there are many, many threads debating SWR but I donít recall anyone ever advocating a 13% SWR!! I didnít follow the links in the ad to see what sort of snake oil they were selling..I just shook my head and thought no way.
that's probably before SS
Old 12-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I know the first young lady they outlined in the article (Gwen). I think she was simply undercapitalized and didn't have nearly enough to be 100% FI.
First time I've heard anybody talk about percentages of FI. I understand something like "I am at 50% of my goal of reaching 1 million dollars.

So would you say she was 15% FI? 12% FI?

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
First time I've heard anybody talk about percentages of FI. I understand something like "I am at 50% of my goal of reaching 1 million dollars.

isn't FI binary? you either are or you aren't (like being preggers)
Old 12-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Oye. Oye. Oye.

That's a great Plan "B", eh? And I am going to be an ass here..."only affecting myself"? Your parents did their job..your inability to plan accordingly isn't their fault, and I do think it affects them, too.
You're not being an ass at all. In fact, I'll take the next step and be the ass by stating that if this young lady's parents are being adversely affected by their 28 year-old daughter's life choices, that is on them 100%. At this stage in their lives, her mom & dad should be parents in name only and no longer responsible for parenting their adult daughter.
ďTwenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So, throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover.Ē

Mark Twain
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #34

These people are doing "coastFIRE" or "BaristaFI" meaning they take some PT job and call it retirement. LOL So sad.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #35

The first example seemed like a sabbatical. Not early retirement.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:55 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I meant not 100% FI as in she was 1/4 or 1/2 way there, and planning on making up the shortage with some form of work, investment property, or other form of generating income/wealth.

I actually don't know her full plan or exactly how well it went. From an objective standpoint, I don't think her or anybody can really enjoy FIRE in the US with a mere $300k unless they're supplementing the income with some form of work. And then that's not early retirement if they're working, right?
Old 12-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
The first example seemed like a sabbatical. Not early retirement.
Yep, or just got tired of working, much like her freelancing, it wasn't her thing.
bobandsherry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #38

Quote:

I'd say it's binary, you either are or aren't.
bobandsherry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:52 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
You're not being an ass at all. In fact, I'll take the next step and be the ass by stating that if this young lady's parents are being adversely affected by their 28 year-old daughter's life choices, that is on them 100%. At this stage in their lives, her mom & dad should be parents in name only and no longer responsible for parenting their adult daughter.
Well, if her parents are like me who has 4 empty bedrooms upstairs, if one of my two kids runs into hardship even due to his/her own stupidity, I am not going to turn them away and not give them shelter.

I don't think I would increase my WR to give them allowances though , but it was not said that this young woman's parents were doing that.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

We have told our kids they are always welcome to move back. I know one turned down a job transfer as his fall back is moving back home and looking for another job. He said once a lot of his friends don't have that option of moving back home for one reason or another, and he knew he was fortunate - he could take more career risks without any worries.

Maybe the 28 year old in the article isn't so stupid. She gave barista type retirement a try and her worst case is moving back home and then getting another tech job, which in our area still seems to be a pretty high demand field.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote