Join Early Retirement Today

More ludicrous bullsh*t from my financial services company
Old 07-21-2006, 12:20 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

More ludicrous bullsh*t from my financial services company

This is just embarassing -- it's printed on my latest credit card statement, right below the list of transactions:

Quote:
TO HELP YOU MEET UNEXPECTED FINANCIAL DEMANDS WE HAVE MADE THIS MONTH'S PAYMENT OPTIONAL. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT IF YOU SKIP THIS MONTH'S PAYMENT, INTEREST WILL STILL ACCUMULATE.
Gee, thanks a whole bunch -- free money and I only have to pay 18.5% annual interest rate on it!

The sad thing is, I'll bet a whole lot of people will actually think it's a nice thing for them to do.

Maybe it's about time I switch all my financial services to a new company...

(oh, and no -- I've never carried a credit card balance.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: More ludicrous bullsh*t from my financial services company
Old 07-21-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oh, not to mention that in one piece of junk mail they included with my statement, a brochure on "security and protection," they have all sorts of nonsense like "[we] have always used 128-bit SSL encryption, the most secure available," or "Always check to see that you have your own credit card after a transaction. Criminals can take the opportunity to replace your valid card with an expired card from the same financial institution showing someone else's name." Brilliant insight, guys.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:43 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Then they sell your personal demographic information to whoever wants it. (H&R Block, etc.)
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:01 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My card institutions don't seem to make use of my personal info. Why do they call periodically to offer me a skipped month or insurance to pay off my CC bill when I always pay my bill in full? Not to mention occasional calls from our banks to refinance a mortgage we don't have. I don't get calls from whoever they sell info to as DH put us on the Do Not Call list the first possible week.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I think the do-not-call list is only good for two years. I think our two are up, but we have not been swamped with new phone calls--yet.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Get American Express. I set my preferences on how I want to be contacted, and they do not call, only contact me via my preferences, which happen to be snail mail and email.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #7

I used to get buried in credit card offers until I used this site. Now I only get maybe a couple a month instead of a couple a day.

http://www.creditsourceonline.com/opt-out.html
Old 07-21-2006, 09:48 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrMike
Get American Express. I set my preferences on how I want to be contacted, and they do not call, only contact me via my preferences, which happen to be snail mail and email.
For what it's worth, I used American Express twice, once in 1988-1989 (right about the time they had a lot of bad press) and once in 1995-1996. Both times I found their service reps (and even supervisors) to be rude and poorly trained. YMMV.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Amex was my worst credit card experience and my worst brokerage experience.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Amex was my worst credit card experience....
Aye to that, CFB
Old 07-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I've had an AMEX card for over twenty years without a single problem.* I started with the old green AMEX card when I was young because I didn't want to be able to carry a balance.* This forced me into the LBYM mode, and while many of my friends were drowning in CC debt, I was accumulating a nice little stash.* Once I got hooked on saving and paying off balances, I got a Visa card.* A couple of years ago, I converted the green AMEX to the no-fee blue card, but I still only have two CCs.

FYI, AMEX is the only credit card accepted by Costco, so it's worth having to us just for that.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Lets see...readers digest version...

Had an AMEX corporate card. Left the job. Turned in the card at my exit interview. Someone used it to buy office supplies three weeks after I quit, probably my old admin or someone else in my department.

Twenty six calls to amex later, I had gotten the documentation to three different people, all of which agreed wholeheartedly that I was not responsible for the charges. Then I'd get another bill, call again and find that the person I had spoken to was no longer with AMEX and there was no record of any prior phone calls.

I finally told them to stick it, I couldnt care less about wasting any more of my time with them. They dunned my credit for the due 7 years with my note/challenge attached. That was 14 years ago. When I applied for a costco/amex combo card a couple of years ago, AMEX sent me a short note saying that my business was not welcome. Long memory of their own serial screwups.

On my brokerage experience, I did about a dozen trades with them. They screwed up every one. Failed to execute, wrong price, charged the wrong commission, you name it. When I transferred my assets from them to the fund family itself, they transferred over a hundred million dollars worth of assets into my account and then had to ask for it back...turns out they transferred ALL of AMEX's holdings in that fund family, not just the ones I owned.

I liked that mistake.

But my personal amex card worked fine for almost 10 years, but all I ever did was charge stuff and pay the bill. Nothing ever went wrong to give their team on crack crack team a chance to really screw things up or waste my time.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
I think the do-not-call list is only good for two years. I think our two are up, but we have not been swamped with new phone calls--yet.
We have found a sure-fire way to eliminate telemarketing calls: get rid of your landline phone service. Telemarketers do not call cell phone numbers, to my knowledge.

Our Internet service is through the cable company, we already have cell phones, so who needs a dial tone? Zero telemarketing calls since we eliminated the unnecessary and expensive phone line at home.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:29 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just to amuse myself I've tried negotiating their 18% interest rate down to between 5-10% depending on how annoyed I feel when they call. They seem amazed that anyone would want to do that - after all, their fantastic card is generous enough to give me 5% for 6 months, why on earth would I want that forever?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I've had the AMEX "Blue cash" card for a few years now, no problems at all. The rebate added up to a big chunk last year, and the AMEX year-end statement was the best of any of my CCs. My wife has a card with her name, and I have two cards--one for personal stuff and one for the business. All three cards add up to count toward getting to the higher rebate rate, so the free bucks added up quickly.

But, AMEX isn't accepted everywhere, so I still have a Mastercard.

And, Sam's Club only takes Discover, so I've still got that one.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:43 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

CFB,
Sounds like your AMEX customer service reps are cousins to our Blue Cross/Blue Shield reps. *An abridged account of the problems we've had with BC/BS (over the simplest of issues, no less) requires its own forum. :P
Old 07-22-2006, 10:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Eh, I've recently quit whining about customer service from anyone. It simply doesnt exist and there should be no expectations about getting any. It is what it is. Cost cutting and the perception of customer service as an unnecessary cost center by most sales oriented CEO's is in force.

At this point, I drop a single call or email, have no expectations, and if it doesnt produce anything, I throw the product away or change services if the product/service is unusable, or live with it if I have no better options.

Disappointing.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #18

Quote:
And, Sam's Club only takes Discover, so I've still got that one.
What we do is buy a wal mart gift card at walmart prior to hitting sams using a Visa card....get 5% rebate that way if you use a chase card that has 5% on groceries at a superwalmart...otherwise, worst case you get the full 1% rebate on most of the cash back cards and dont need discover.....
Old 07-22-2006, 12:31 PM   #19

The best gimmick I've seen from credit card companies is where they put 1 or 2 % of what you spend into a savings account, well that's fine, but the tag line is
"The more you spend, the more you save......."

On the topic of credit card junk mail I get lots from Pat Johnson at Capital One. What I do with all such junk mail is to take the prepaid envelope and put an empty application form form someone like American Express or just include a local restaurant flyer. I seal the envelope and send it as junk mail back to Capital One.
Its petty I know, but it give me a chuckle.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT IF YOU SKIP THIS MONTH'S PAYMENT
Wow what a deal!! Maybe if you ask real nice they will let you extend this offer for a year or so.

No doubt a rather current marketing study indicated that a certain percentage of chumps will jump at this change to take advantage of the CC companies summertime generosity.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote