More of the Same... House Equity losses cause retirement delays

So, accelerate my mortgage payments or pump the $ into retirement savings?

I give up...
In case it wasn't blatantly obvious, I was making a side comment about the bubble and crash and how it could affect "ordinary" folk differently. I did come out ahead in the crash because the house I bought afterward is much cheaper, and even if it loses 20% of its value it's a lot less than I gained on the CA home.

But no, I don't think most people *did* benefit, if you insist on a direct answer to your question. Those of us who were "unintentional market timers", so to speak, did -- but that was just dumb luck.

But no, I don't think most people *did* benefit, if you insist on a direct answer to your question. Those of us who were "unintentional market timers", so to speak, did -- but that was just dumb luck.

No free lunch... somebody won and somebody lost. Sometimes that loss wound up with taxpayers and investors (in banks and mortgage companies) in the case of defaults and short-sales.

For that matter... in this case if you gained... the people that bought your house probably took a bit hit.

Gotta wonder if they still own it or defaulted on the loan.

In terms of investments, my rental properties are valued lower post 2007, however, the property taxes have reduced and rental demand is up in my area....so, as long as i am not selling in the near term, I am ahead at least on cash flow....Hopefully, in 10+ years, I will realize an asset gain.

Back
Top Bottom