Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 08:26 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,896
My theory is that the OP is "listening" to his sales pitch to keep peace as the OP's DW and his DW are very good friends. Kinda like girl scout cookie buying time among friends and family. But the girl scout cookies do taste good .
__________________

__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Must be doing OK as he has a nice sail boat, etc.
But where are the customers' boats?
__________________

__________________
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado
Speculator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 29
I'd let him take me to dinner and talk about whatever it is he needs to discuss. It wouldn't cost me anything and he'd think he was accomplishing something.
__________________
Speculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
I'd let him take me to dinner and talk about whatever it is he needs to discuss. It wouldn't cost me anything and he'd think he was accomplishing something.
I'd have to be really hungry and really broke for that to seem attractive--at all.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
dtbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Madison
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by petershk View Post
I guess I'd contemplate going further. I think most people on this forum know that anything offering 14% low/no risk is dishonest and the people who sell it make money by tricking their customers. I would find it personally unethical to knowingly do this and I would ask how any of my friends (or acquaintances) can do it in good conscience. I'd be super happy to have THAT conversation after which they probably wouldn't want to send me anything anymore.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
That is what bothers me about him. We had enough talks about markets/finances that I know darn well he should know (and most likely does) that you can't have 14% payout and safety in the same vehicle. Otherwise, the world would be beating a huge path to it.
__________________
Wild Bill shoulda taken more out of his IRA when he could have. . . .
dtbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
dtbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Madison
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My theory is that the OP is "listening" to his sales pitch to keep peace as the OP's DW and his DW are very good friends. Kinda like girl scout cookie buying time among friends and family. But the girl scout cookies do taste good .
You have it exactly right. The DW does want to go down to their place and ride on the sailboat. That is one trip I will dread. . . .

__________________
Wild Bill shoulda taken more out of his IRA when he could have. . . .
dtbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Why don't you ask him what his definition is of a risky investment?
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:26 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
You have it exactly right. The DW does want to go down to their place and ride on the sailboat. That is one trip I will dread. . . .
But as the saying goes, "Happy wife = happy life" .

The next time he makes the sales pitch, tell him that all you do for investing is blindly follow the market indexes and most investments can't consistently do better. When he says his investment is better, ask him to prove it. That should be a conversation killer.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The next time he makes the sales pitch, tell him that all you do for investing is blindly follow the market indexes and most investments can't consistently do better. When he says his investment is better, ask him to prove it. That should be a conversation killer.
I doubt it will kill the conversation. He'll have an answer, if he's any good at selling (which he apparently is). In my experience, try to reason or argue one's way to an end these engagements is fruitless--it just goes on and on. It has to be a firm statement of disinterest in pursuing the course of action AND of discussing the course of action. Then don't ever discuss the subject again despite hints and leading statements. In response to direct questions, either pretend not to hear them or say "As before, it's something I'm not interested in discussing." That's the only way I've been able to salvage relationships when such a topic comes up (religion, politics, money, etc).
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.
dtbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Madison
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I doubt it will kill the conversation. He'll have an answer, if he's any good at selling (which he apparently is). In my experience, try to reason or argue one's way to an end these engagements is fruitless--it just goes on and on. It has to be a firm statement of disinterest in pursuing the course of action AND of discussing the course of action. Then don't ever discuss the subject again despite hints and leading statements. In response to direct questions, either pretend not to hear them or say "As before, it's something I'm not interested in discussing." That's the only way I've been able to salvage relationships when such a topic comes up (religion, politics, money, etc).
That will be my exact plan. We can be friends as long as he doesn't get aggressive. I will tell him I have MY plan and its working just fine, thank you.
__________________

__________________
Wild Bill shoulda taken more out of his IRA when he could have. . . .
dtbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW 28 y/o invstr - Advice IUL policy-IRA-investments fishinthemarket Young Dreamers 5 11-05-2014 09:33 AM
"Moochers" or "Helping" a Friend? Calgary_Girl Other topics 18 02-06-2014 05:21 PM
The FED wants to be your friend? NYEXPAT FIRE Related Public Policy 7 10-28-2011 12:30 PM
Soros Wants Energy Funds Regulated More Strictly haha FIRE and Money 1 06-04-2008 06:51 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.