Join Early Retirement Today

Re: More on teacher pay
Old 12-02-2006, 03:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ours is based on 10 months. I'd be suprised if any states run schools for only 7 months.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

actual time in days worked though is about 7 months.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:28 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

my wifes a nursery teacher, omg between holidays, snow days ,vacation days and summer i dont think they put in much more than 180 or so days a year. im soooooooooooooo jealous. i get 3 lousy weeks vacation after 8 years on the job finally
Old 12-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpliny
If you ask me, we give endless tax incentives to people with lots of kids...the more kids you have, the more you get. Oh, had another kid...here's another tax credit...keep popping em out! Frankly, it's retarded. It should be the other way around...the more kids you have, the more you should contribute to help fund their existence. Can't afford it...don't breed so damn much.
Yeah, brilliant sentiment. Have you forgotten that all the old (in years or attitudes) fat cats on this board need or soon will need someone to heal their illnesses, build their houses, and actually do the work of our society.

There is at least a possibility that we might like some of it to be done by English speakers who have a stake in our society and mores.

People who don't reproduce are obviously an evolutionary dead end. Ditto societies that don't replicate. If you cannot or are not willing to do it yourself, at least cut the poor guy who is doing his part some slack. His kids will be your funery attendants.

Also, if you had ever seen a woman give birth, “popping ‘em out” is not the phrase you would choose. The act of human birth is always astonishing. Remember the myth of Scylla and Charybdis? Substitute a woman’s sacrum and pubis; or R and L ischial tuberosities.

Ha
Old 12-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #25

It's amazing that teachers (about 25%) at Long Island are making six-figure salaries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/15/ny...rssnyt&emc=rss

Quote:
"There's a lot of people out there who make a lot more than I do," said Patricia Daniello, 53, an East Islip teacher at the pinnacle of her profession - 30 years' experience, a master's degree with 90 hours of additional credit, and a $116,772 salary. "Do I think my salary is high, based on what I do for children and the amount of education I have in my background? No, I do not."
Is she kidding? That's equivalent to $155,696 if normalized (116,722 *12/9)
Old 12-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

they forget how few days they actually work compared to regular jobs.

it drives me nuts hearing teachers around here complain about the pay and benefits. they got to be kidding.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:08 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

People who don't reproduce are obviously an evolutionary dead end. Ditto societies that don't replicate. If you cannot or are not willing to do it yourself, at least cut the poor guy who is doing his part some slack. His kids will be your funery attendants.
I didn't say anything about people who reproduce, my post was geared at people who over-reproduce and can't afford it. Big difference. Take your argument to India or China and see for yourself what the results on civilization and the environment are...
Old 12-02-2006, 06:08 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It's amazing that teachers (about 25%) at Long Island are making six-figure salaries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/15/ny...rssnyt&emc=rss

Is she kidding? That's equivalent to $155,696 if normalized (116,722 *12/9)
And the pensions are just as sweet....
Old 12-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

And that's only the tip of the iceberg of the horrible issues of living in that NY area. Yet millions put up with that pathetic situation! It makes no sense!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cons

i know how you feel kjpliny. i live on long island as well. my house is on a 1/4 acre property and my taxes are $8k. i'm in sachem school district. what district are you in?

a couple of colleagues at work have spouses that are teachers. one has been a teacher for sayville school district for close to 10 years, and makes ~$70k. the other guy has a spouse that works for valley stream school district. she just started and is in her 2nd or 3rd year, making in the low 50s.
Smithtown...here's a link on Zillow:
http://www.zillow.com/search/Search....87&mode=browse
Old 12-03-2006, 08:40 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

My parents are BOTH retired teachers...........

My dad summed it up best: "Underpaid for 30 years, overpaid for the rest of your life"........

Of course, he taught at a time when salaries were WAY lower.........

Our school district makes me tear my hair out. The teachers BEGRUDGINGLY voted to pay $25 a month for family coverage (used to be free), and "only" a 5.6% increase.......... :P :P :P

But the NICEST cars I see on the road are in the teacher's parking lot...............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:50 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
But the NICEST cars I see on the road are in the teacher's parking lot...............
Yeah, they belong to the high school senior students.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Yeah, they belong to the high school senior students.
That's plausible. My daughter's high school friends are driving more expensive cars than I do. I guess those might belong to their parents.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I didn't say anything about people who reproduce, my post was geared at people who over-reproduce and can't afford it. Big difference. Take your argument to India or China and see for yourself what the results on civilization and the environment are...
Straw man again. A technique I am beginning to see is your M.O.

We were talking about the US, and you were talking about your resentment at tax breaks for families.

Ha
Old 12-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

My oldest son teaches electronics and computer science at a local vocational High School. He went through College on a Merit Scholarship and took honors level courses in fuzzy, easy to sleep through subjects like calculus, engineering physics, electrical engineering and computer science. (He did not qualify for needs based aid since I inadvertantly made too high a salary to qualify for college welfare.)

He could walk into any local Tech Firm and double his income. He was inspired by his teachers to become one.

I believe he is one of thousands of ordinary heros that, on a cumulative basis, more than make up for the deadwood in public service (and yes, after decades as a lawyer, I know all about bad civil servants!). Money is a poor gauge of what truly adds value in certain instances, teaching being but one of many examples.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:24 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Straw man again. A technique I am beginning to see is your M.O.

We were talking about the US, and you were talking about your resentment at tax breaks for families.

Ha
Ahh, and I see your M.O. is deflection of the argument.

I reiterate my position that people should pay, proportionately, for the services used by the quantity of children they have and if they can't, we shouldn't subsidize them by providing incentives to have more. Same argument can be made for treatment of illegal immigrants...we are basically inviting them to come here and use our schools and hospital facilities when, in large part, they pay for neither. This exacerbates the problem of illegal immigration and over population, both of which I am strongly against.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
My parents are BOTH retired teachers...........

My dad summed it up best: "Underpaid for 30 years, overpaid for the rest of your life"........

Of course, he taught at a time when salaries were WAY lower.........

Our school district makes me tear my hair out. The teachers BEGRUDGINGLY voted to pay $25 a month for family coverage (used to be free), and "only" a 5.6% increase.......... :P :P :P

But doesn't that give the teachers more money that unscrupulous FA's can remove from their greedy clutches? The attractive pay they receive in your school district seems more like fattening them for financial slaughter by the hoards of bottom feeding FA's than overpaying them.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ahh, and I see your M.O. is deflection of the argument.

I reiterate my position that people should pay, proportionately, for the services used by the quantity of children they have and if they can't, we shouldn't subsidize them by providing incentives to have more. Same argument can be made for treatment of illegal immigrants...we are basically inviting them to come here and use our schools and hospital facilities when, in large part, they pay for neither. This exacerbates the problem of illegal immigration and over population, both of which I am strongly against.
Kinda sounds like you grew up as the spoiled brat of fat cat parents.

Are you saying there should be no public education? It sounds like it.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:58 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Kinda sounds like you grew up as the spoiled brat of fat cat parents.

Are you saying there should be no public education? It sounds like it.
Actually I grew up in a lower middle class neighborhood in a lower middle class family. I'd be lucky to get hand-me-downs from my other 3 siblings. We made do with what we had, and we all helped take care of aging bedridden grandparents who lived next door while we were growing up, which was challenging and costly in terms of time and money. As for spoiled...anything I have today I worked for. My first decade of work was in restaurants working long hours for little pay. My first real corporate job was making $8.75/hr, and that was with a bachelor's degree in engineering. Thankfully, things have improved a bit.

I have nothing against public education, provided that funding is fairly distributed amongst the population and costs are kept in line...neither of which is the case at the moment.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I have nothing against public education, provided that funding is fairly distributed amongst the population and costs are kept in line...neither of which is the case at the moment.
You should make it clear that you are speaking about the situation in the northeast where it appears teacher salaries are approximately double the average of the rest of the country.

I agree with you that funding needs to be distributed amongst the population. Today, public education in wealthy areas is funded at higher levels than in poor areas and that is just plain wrong.