Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
If the theory holds, we'll have to hit bottom, scuffle amongst ourselves economically and politically for a while, and make a lot of sweeping changes before things return to prosperity in (perhaps) a decade or so.
Nice post - pretty much what I think.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonew View Post

Nobody stole the American workerís ability to retire comfortably. Defined benefit plans were/are merely one vehicle for achieving financial independence (i.e. a comfortable retirement). Others remain available, even if they are (arguably) less effective. Ultimately, the American worker must take responsibility for his own retirement, not his Employer or the FED. If that means decreasing his SOL to increase after-tax retirement savings, then so be it.

I agree about taking responsibility, but many times the individual worker is at a disadvantage when negotiating with the employer because of the imbalance in resources and any argument for taking personal responsibility must also include encouragement for unions and collective bargaining. I agree with Adam Smith that we own our labor and I extend that to champion the ability of workers to organize to negotiate with the employer for fair wages, conditions and benefits.

I actually prefer 401k plans to DB plans because of the control they give to the employee, however, my problem is that when they replaced DB plans the result was an effective reduction of employees' pay. Wages were not increased to so that employees could fund their 401ks at the same level to be equivalent to the DB plan it was replacing. That's my beef.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I actually prefer 401k plans to DB plans because of the control they give to the employee, however, my problem is that when they replaced DB plans the result was an effective reduction of employees' pay. Wages were not increased to so that employees could fund their 401ks at the same level to be equivalent to the DB plan it was replacing. That's my beef.
Agreed. I have no problem with the "new rules" that say you are more or less solely responsible for your own retirement (aside from Social Security, anyway). For those who entered the working world with that expectation already in place, it won't be a difficult adjustment. For those who toiled for 10-20 years with a pension expectation which was yanked, on the other hand, it's much different. You can't retroactively go back and max out personal retirement savings (which you didn't expect to need with the pension), and you can't go back to your 20s and get a public sector or union job and "restore" your pension expectation.

I had a pension in my first job, but fortunately I never trusted it or Social Security would be there for me so I've been aggressively investing in my 401Ks and (later Roth IRAs) since my early 20s. That's the main reason FIRE is still in my grasp even after my first Megacorp canceled my pension. If I just trusted the pension would keep growing through 30+ years of service and didn't bother to save much for myself, I'd probably have to kiss FIRE dreams goodbye.

In reality, though, the replacement of pensions with 401Ks probably resulted in a net compensation cut for employees even with a company match.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
A

I had a pension in my first job, but fortunately I never trusted it or Social Security would be there for me so I've been aggressively investing in my 401Ks and (later Roth IRAs) since my early 20s. That's the main reason FIRE is still in my grasp even after my first Megacorp canceled my pension. If I just trusted the pension would keep growing through 30+ years of service and didn't bother to save much for myself, I'd probably have to kiss FIRE dreams goodbye.

In reality, though, the replacement of pensions with 401Ks probably resulted in a net compensation cut for employees even with a company match.
When UTC sold the division I worked for part of the deal was that they vested everyone in the pension plan, even if they didn't have the required 5 years in the plan. That was a condition that the president of our division fought for. As a result I have a small COLAed pension coming to me at 59.5
Old 08-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #105

Quote:
I am truly sorry if you, or anyone else, found my post to be disrespectful. It certainly was not my intention.
And Iím feeling my age in my bones and showing it in aggressive posts. Youíve done nothing wrong - apologies as well.

Quote:
Here is one of the causes - public schools
./.
Bad schools produced bad teachers which produced worse students - repeat the cycle.
Agree. Big problem, getting worse.

Quote:
If the theory holds, we'll have to hit bottom, scuffle amongst ourselves economically and politically for a while, and make a lot of sweeping changes before things return to prosperity in (perhaps) a decade or so
Interesting theory. I guess that means thereís hope for my grandchildren (but maybe not so much for my kids).

Quote:
Maybe it is naÔve to think that Employers (for the most part) treat Employees fairly, and that, when necessary, laws are generally enforced to prevent the type abuses mentioned above.
Not so much naive as dangerous. The problem is not the likelihood you choose poorly, itís the consequence. Take the example I used above, replace pension with social security, and the same can happen to you. Rules are rules until theyíre not, and promises can be broken. The lesson Ė make sure to take care of yourself.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #106
Administrator

Quote:
Fair enough.
To be fair, you have precisely the right outlook for someone just starting out in the work world -- don't rely on your employer or the government or anyone else to secure your financial future; you are in charge of your own destiny. As a consequence, I believe that you will be very successful in life and undoubtedly will retire early.

But I think I can say without fear of contradiction that it was a dramatically different world when most of us started working. (For someone 62 today, that could have been as early as about 1966). Among other things, we were all, individually and as a society, much more trusting of societal institutions like the government, the schools, the church and big business. Should we old guys have been less trusting and more skeptical? In hindsight, of course! But our expectations were shaped by the society in which we lived, and it was not unreasonable for us to believe that getting a pension was a matter of course and something upon which we could rely.

I do apologize for being so curt with you earlier.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #107
Dryer sheet aficionado

Retirement for the masses is a modern Western invention. The patent on this invention is about to expire as per the law of nature. It is impossible for 1 worker to support 1 idle non-worker indefinitely, but that is the situation the US finds itself in (154M labor force vs 310M population).

Retirement in the future will be for the privileged few, as it has been throughout history. Everyone else will work (or starve) until they die. This brings up an interesting question. If most people will be unable to retire tomorrow, are they correct to make no plans for it today? It would appear so - strange as it may seem.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #108
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Art, is that you?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #109
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilspill View Post
Retirement for the masses is a modern Western invention. The patent on this invention is about to expire as per the law of nature. It is impossible for 1 worker to support 1 idle non-worker indefinitely, but that is the situation the US finds itself in (154M labor force vs 310M population).

Retirement in the future will be for the privileged few, as it has been throughout history. Everyone else will work (or starve) until they die. This brings up an interesting question. If most people will be unable to retire tomorrow, are they correct to make no plans for it today? It would appear so - strange as it may seem.
Could be but I'll go ahead and plan accordingly anyway because I don't intend on being one of the "most".
Old 08-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
Could be but I'll go ahead and plan accordingly anyway because I don't intend on being one of the "most".
+1

No matter how bad it gets, those who took more steps to prepare will do better than those who did not. I think we see evidence of that every day.

-ERD50
Old 08-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That certainly sounds like a Raw deal. I have very little practical experience, but I generally feel like I have a pretty good grasp of the various theoretical concepts. In my mind, I didnít consider that kind of manipulation to be possible - I assumed that there are/were protections in place to prevent that type of thing.

However, perhaps it is time that I appreciate the limitations of theoretical concepts. Maybe it is naÔve to think that Employers (for the most part) treat Employees fairly, and that, when necessary, laws are generally enforced to prevent the type abuses mentioned above. Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to provide a more detailed explanation of your point of view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
To be fair, you have precisely the right outlook for someone just starting out in the work world -- don't rely on your employer or the government or anyone else to secure your financial future; you are in charge of your own destiny. As a consequence, I believe that you will be very successful in life and undoubtedly will retire early.

But I think I can say without fear of contradiction that it was a dramatically different world when most of us started working. (For someone 62 today, that could have been as early as about 1966). Among other things, we were all, individually and as a society, much more trusting of societal institutions like the government, the schools, the church and big business. Should we old guys have been less trusting and more skeptical? In hindsight, of course! But our expectations were shaped by the society in which we lived, and it was not unreasonable for us to believe that getting a pension was a matter of course and something upon which we could rely.

I do apologize for being so curt with you earlier.
It's interesting. I hadn't thought of this for a long time until I read these posts. But in my megacorp, which was broken up as a monopoly back in '83/84, we considered ourselves part of the company. There was a partially written partially implied contract. We would work our patooties off for the company and they would take care of certain financial obligations when we retired. After divestiture we entered a world of competition that was so new to us that they actually made us take training to make the point that the company didn't owe us a daggone thing. However, if we valued our postions we had best keep working those patooties off. And if we made it to retirement there'd be something there for us. Over the next 15-20 years the environment became very much an us vs. them situation, with them being the company. And when I retired it was at the end of the process MichaelB described, with the company freezing pensions for all employees and moving a huge chunk of the plan to the executive pool. I ended up taking a lump sum that was significantly smaller than what I would have gotten had I been eligible for retirement 5 years earlier. If I hadn't always been a LBYMer I wouldn't have been able to retire on what I got, and many of my friends and cow erkers will be working for many more years now than they had originally planned. Partially their own faults, I agree. But not having been there, you don't know what it was like before.

So I agree that you have the right attitude for someone starting out now. And I can pretty much guarantee that things will be very different when you are at the end of your career than they are now. Sorry I can't say exactly how. Never was that good at predicting. But it's like the line from That Thing You Do. Watch your money and you'll land on your feet. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
+1

No matter how bad it gets, those who took more steps to prepare will do better than those who did not. I think we see evidence of that every day.

-ERD50
Which is why we need to make sure SS is protected. Some people on here might not actually need it, but what amazes me are the mass of people who parrot the popular mantra of "it won't be around when I retire" and then do nothing to save for retirement either because they don't make enough or spend too much. Everyone should make it known that they expect SS so that politicians will protect it as it's going to be the only thing for a lot of people. That will require sacrifice from everyone in taxes or delayed benefits, but the pain should be shared. I firmly believe that the US is capable of providing a decent retirement and expressions of return to the dark ages before the New Deal are frankly unamerican.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with nun. Recently I had a younger friend parrot the popular mantra on SS. It's a scam! It won't be there when I get there. I could do better with the money myself.

I asked him about his pension. He has none coming.
I asked him about his 401K. After some digging I found out it was very small.

The truth - it is not a scam or ponzi scheme (the only scam is the government spending the overages)

Most people heading into retirement have not saved and without SS couldn't survive - there is no reason to believe that will change - in fact views about SS change as people get closer to getting it.

If it was eliminated not only would it not be better invested by the majority of the populace (I was omnipotent when I was young too)- but based on the replacement of pension plans - employers would not pass on the difference - it would become company profits

If SS was eliminated the younger workforce would have a much tougher time finding work as the older populace would now be competing with more skills and perhaps some savings so they could work for less.

If SS was eliminated then a large part of the populace would be destitute (those that couldn't find or were unable to work) and we would have to provide for them through other social programs - the cost will not go away.

Finally - if projections are correct returns on investments will be smaller in the future and wage growth will slow or diminish making it harder to prepare for retirement.

The next generations should not try to eliminate SS but fight like hell to keep it. They will need it more than I will. Change it if necessary but some form is needed more than ever.

That's my three cents.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #114

Quote:
Which is why we need to make sure SS is protected. Some people on here might not actually need it, but what amazes me are the mass of people who parrot the popular mantra of "it won't be around when I retire" and then do nothing to save for retirement either because they don't make enough or spend too much. Everyone should make it known that they expect SS so that politicians will protect it as it's going to be the only thing for a lot of people. That will require sacrifice from everyone in taxes or delayed benefits, but the pain should be shared. I firmly believe that the US is capable of providing a decent retirement and expressions of return to the dark ages before the New Deal are frankly unamerican.
I hear you and what you say sounds good on paper. I am in the younger crowd and I admit I say that sort of stuff to myself - not going to be there or will be in some very different, reduced form. The thought of SS not being around makes me expect to save that much more during my working years. Cautious but realistic approach IMO.

What reason do I have to believe otherwise? Are politicians really going to start making those hard choices when election results depend on it? It's also easier to just kick the can down the road. Are people really going to start doing what is best for the majority of the country? One thing I have realized from this board & others who have paid in SS over the years is that people will look out for themselves with respect to SS. We are a society of "as long as I get mine" in many respects. Whether it be bad or good, just saying.....
Old 08-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #115
Administrator

If one were cynical, one might believe that pushing the meme "social security is a scam and will never be there for me" is done deliberately for the purposes of shaping expectations, so that people will be more willing to tolerate benefit cuts.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

I loves me a good conspiracy theory!
Old 08-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

As someone who is (relatively) younger, I can say my DW and I will continue to push the, "We paid into it, we want it" meme.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysto View Post
If SS was eliminated the younger workforce would have a much tougher time finding work as the older populace would now be competing with more skills and perhaps some savings so they could work for less.
This to me is part of the most powerful logical argument against raising the SS retirement age. But it's not just that the older workers would be in there with more skills and experience (which is often used by employers as a reason *not* to hire someone; too much experience means too much salary expectations in their mind, even if it's just a way to legitimize age discrimination). It's also that they'd still be in there *period*, competing for jobs instead of being able to retire and leave the job to someone else.

I understand the demographic arguments for raising the age and they make perfect sense in a vacuum with no unintended consequences. But without the jobs for these millions of extra people who would have to work, many of them would have to fall back on public assistance, and when you factor that in, how much have we saved and what are the add-on social costs of creating a large, impoverished underclass of "young old" who are too young to collect a retirement check and too old to get hired? Not to mention that even more people chasing an even smaller number of jobs would depress wages even further.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

An easy trap to fall into when discussing this subject is to think the US (or the world) is just a whole lot of people just like us. The people that participate regularly on this forum are infinitely more financially astute, better educated and for the most part just plain luckier than the rest of the world.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I've been reading this thread with great interest, most especially since I heard last week no raises at w*rk for anyone next year. In my case, when the 401K replaced the DB and pay was effectively reduced as per Nun's analysis, I didn't fully realize for the first few years that my pay was being reduced. I was very young and retirement was forever away. Then the stock market was flying and the 401K was up, up, up every time you checked the balance, it just didn't register (call me naive).

Then the stock market wiped out several years of contributions and growth. The timeline for retirement gets extended to make the funds last longer. In the meantime, I'm getting older and at some point it's difficult if not impossible to change jobs/careers and start all over so you try to deal, and hope your health holds out.