Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So Intuit is claiming that information for fraudulent filing of state returns did not come from them, but came from outside their system?

And somehow it doesn't affect filing of Federal returns?

I am confused!
Apparently, so is Intuit. Conspicuous silence on this at their website.

Edit - this post at WSJ blog has some background TurboTax Halts State E-Filing Amid Data-Breach Probe - Total Return - WSJ
Quote:
After a preliminary examination with Palantir Technologies, which provides security and antifraud services, Intuit said it believes the fraud didn’t result from a breach of Intuit systems and that “the information used to file fraudulent returns was obtained from other sources outside the tax preparation process.” It said the examination is continuing.
A few more details there.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Alabama posted this briefing http://revenue.alabama.gov/news/02052015.pdf

16000 suspect returns is a lot. That would seem like some organization behind it.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #23

This scam that involves 'filing for your refund before you can' has been going on for several years now. All the criminal needs is your social security number and other PII. similar to what was just stolen in the Anthem hack.

IIRC, It hasn't been specifically a turbotax thing, just any sort of electronic filing. before that, they would just snail mail in the documents before you, IIRC
Old 02-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #24

Simply snail mailing the refund check to the taxpayer's address of record would also largely resolve this problem.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
IIRC, It hasn't been specifically a turbotax thing, just any sort of electronic filing. before that, they would just snail mail in the documents before you, IIRC
In the present outbreak, only TT has been identified as a problem. So, this could be different.

In past years, most of these tax prep software companies used third-party providers to actually submit the returns to the IRS and states for efiling. I wonder if the problem is with a contractor that Intuit is using, rather than with Intuit's internal system. Probably not: Intuit would have hopped on that excuse like a hobo on a porkchop.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like someone has brought the wonders of automation to filing fraudulent tax returns, and Intuit has done their usual job in handling security and fraud prevention.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Simply snail mailing the refund check to the taxpayer's address of record would also largely resolve this problem.
Except that you are allowed to change your address. There is no special procedure for it, other than putting your new address on your filed return.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I was watching one of those prison shows and when they tossed a guys cell they found these legal pads with names, addresses, SS, and information to be entered on tax returns. I think a lot of this would go away if there was no instant refund, or advance refund like some of the tax preparation companies do.

Huge mistake and allows instant theft. Mail a check and it's much less likely to happen.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #29

Here's Intuit's message on this
Intuit Working With State Governments to Solve Emerging Tax Fraud Problem | The TurboTax Blog
Old 02-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #30

I noticed that this has not affected HRB and TaxAct. Or could that be just because TT has a larger share of the market and would notice sooner?
Old 02-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I noticed that this has not affected HRB and TaxAct. Or could that be just because TT has a larger share of the market and would notice sooner?

Being a Turbo guy and stuck in a holding pattern until I get all my forms, I checked in today to just make sure they didn't say "your return has been processed and refund already received"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Being a Turbo guy and stuck in a holding pattern until I get all my forms, I checked in today to just make sure they didn't say "your return has been processed and refund already received"

How do you do this?
Old 02-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How do you do this?

I just signed into my account. It welcomed me back and wanted me to update any items from 2013 tax year such as address before starting in this year's taxes... I did that part and stopped.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just signed into my account. It welcomed me back and wanted me to update any items from 2013 tax year such as address before starting in this year's taxes... I did that part and stopped.

The frauds don't go through your Turbotax account. They would have a separate Turbotax account but use your SS#.

It's only the IRS that knows whether a return has already been filed for your SS#.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The frauds don't go through your Turbotax account. They would have a separate Turbotax account but use your SS#.

Well I wish you hadn't told me that, as in this case "ignorance is bliss" since I cannot file yet!

Old 02-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well I wish you hadn't told me that, as in this case "ignorance is bliss" since I cannot file yet!

Sorry! I was hoping you had an in on the IRS.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry! I was hoping you had an in on the IRS.

If I would ever get to know anyone of them it probably wouldn't be a good thing for me, Audrey! I definitely will file the minute my brokerage info comes now, though.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

More TurboTax woes - Minnesota stops accepting returns (edit - now all state ...

Kerns has a good discussion of the current problem. See the Feb 6 blog entry.

http://krebsonsecurity.com

Also note the picture of the website selling stollen tax Id information. 4 cents a name. Not so good.

"Stolen TurboTax or H&R Block credentials are cheaper and more plentiful that most people probably would imagine. According to the below-pictured well-known seller on the Dark Web forum Evolution Market, hacked accounts currently can be had for .0002 bitcoins, which works out to about 4 cents apiece."
Old 02-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Watched the evening news with Brian Williams (at least for now, he's still the anchorman, but that's a different story ), and according to that the fraudsters from from identity theft and not with intuit itself.

Also, looks like state e- filing is back.

Quote:
E-filing resumed at 6 p.m. Eastern time, TurboTax parent company Intuit Inc. announced in a news release. The company has continued to work with states where suspicious filings have been reported.
State agencies had reported a rise in filings with stolen personal information, Intuit said.
TurboTax Resumes E-Filings FOr State Returns After To Fraud Risk « CBS New York
Old 02-06-2015, 09:16 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Kerns has a good discussion of the current problem. See the Feb 6 blog entry.

Krebs on Security

Also note the picture of the website selling stollen tax Id information. 4 cents a name. Not so good.

"Stolen TurboTax or H&R Block credentials are cheaper and more plentiful that most people probably would imagine. According to the below-pictured well-known seller on the Dark Web forum Evolution Market, hacked accounts currently can be had for .0002 bitcoins, which works out to about 4 cents apiece."
Thanks - yes, when I try to understand a security breach issue, I usually end up going to his site. And I even mentioned his name today but hadn't quite gotten to his site. Looks like these credentials are stolen through the usual mechanisms - PC malware and phishing.