Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
65 is pretty darn arbitrary. Why not work until 72 or 84?

If we assume that people don't live forever, then we can assume, from a mortality table standpoint, an 80 year old would need to fund a shorter retirement if she stopped working than a 40 year old early retiree.

So, from a portfolio standpoint, putting off working as long as possible will give you better odds of not outliving your portfolio. In fact, if you know when you're going to die, you could put off working until just a year before that. Your portfolio could withstand a 100% withdrawal rate just fine!
Why do that when you can just live it up in the meantime, rack up a ton of CC debt, go upside down on a mortgage, buy timeshares, etc. and then just absolve all your debts by going 6 feet under?
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
While I wouldn't stand in judgment, my reaction runs along the lines of "How would you know what you're missing? You've never done anything but work. Your family barely knows you. You have no outside interests, marginal social skills, and little self-image outside of your profession."
If this is accurate they are likely making a good decision not to change things too much. I believe that overall, we can't have it all. Certain decisions and even career patterns foreclose other possibilities. I see that as fine and in the nature of things and part of the background pain of life.

A wonderful movie that confronts this issue in the life of a distinguished physician is Wild Strawberries.

Ha
Old 08-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

There are certainly plenty of "About Schmidt"'s. Plenty that wont be, but are scared to stick their foot in the water.

Probably because Kathy Bates might be naked in there somewhere.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
The engineering biz is currently going wild. Anyone with a degree is in demand. We're all being treated well because they can't hire enough of us and they're afraid we'll go across the street if we get pissed.
What feild of Engineering? I'm actually a chemical engineer and looking to jump ship as right now I make plastics for airplane interiors and commercial aviation is starting to take a nose-dive.
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
A wonderful movie that confronts this issue in the life of a distinguished physician is Wild Strawberries.
Ha
Wild Strawberries (1957) by Ingmar Bergman. I am #1 on the local public library queue. Thanks Ha.

I like this kind of movies. American action movies with stunts that defy laws of physics put me to sleep.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If this is accurate they are likely making a good decision not to change things too much. I believe that overall, we can't have it all. Certain decisions and even career patterns foreclose other possibilities. I see that as fine and in the nature of things and part of the background pain of life.
No disagreement (which is why I have that little monolog silently). The only problem is that there is a gray zone between being clearly incompetent to practice and competent but worrisomely out of date or lacking "edge" and judgment. The latter group can become problematic if they insist on working while still being "competent" in the grander sense.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
No disagreement (which is why I have that little monolog silently). The only problem is that there is a gray zone between being clearly incompetent to practice and competent but worrisomely out of date or lacking "edge" and judgment. The latter group can become problematic if they insist on working while still being "competent" in the grander sense.
In most fields the incompetents are safely into management by the time they have lost it. Isn't there some safe jobs in medicine that people with reduced skills and no judgement can still perform ?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Back to tools...

For occasional, light-duty use, your el-cheapo consumer brands are okie-dokie. But I speak from experience when I say that frequent, high-duty cycle use will melt the plastic in consumer grade tools. I've done it with a staple gun, a drill, and a sabre saw...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think I didn't realize that you were referring to their fitness for their jobs, from the POV of the recipients of services.

I was thinking more along the ER angle of what are they losing personally in thier lives.

Ha
Old 08-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
In most fields the incompetents are safely into management by the time they have lost it. Isn't there some safe jobs in medicine that people with reduced skills and no judgement can still perform ?
A few end up working for nothing as web forum moderators.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
A few end up working for nothing as web forum moderators.

And with a great group like this, that's the most rewarding around job for a semi-retired doctor
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I find it hard to believe anyone dislikes work in general, but maybe I'm wrong.
I'm just having a hard time getting over this. What's so good about work again? Seriously, it is surprising to me that someone (especially on this message board!) feels that way.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

I'm pretty sure nothing beats sitting on the couch and eating homemade ice cream.

Pretty much anything that would take me away from that is probably work-like and therefore dislikeable.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
I'm just having a hard time getting over this. What's so good about work again? Seriously, it is surprising to me that someone (especially on this message board!) feels that way.
While I also find the message "disturbing", I understand why it may be made, especially if it's from a younger person (anyway - younger than me, at age 60 ).

As my parents before me (born in the Depression) or my grandparents (all four emigrated from Europe after WWI with little more than the clothes on their back), I went through some "difficult times".

Not to hold a "pity me party", but just as an example, I was "required" to start work (full time) at a family business at the age of 13. What was full time? Every day I did not go to school, I was at work (10-12 hour shifts, at no pay - hey, I was getting room/board!). That included all weekends, holidays, and summer "vacations" (what's that?). When I graduated from HS (only one of my parents did), I was given the option. Work at "the business" on a 7-day week schedule, or get a job and give 50% of any net pay for my room/board.

As for "higher education" (e.g. college/university) - that was not an option, given the "maturity" of my parents .

Luckly, there was this thing called the "draft". I was called, I left home, and never returned.

If the "measurement" is from age 13 of starting work, till a bit over age 59 when I retired, that means that I've been "gainfully employed" for 46+ years.

Sorry, but I have no desire to hit the 50-year mark.

I'm retired and very happy with my life these days. No way would I want to return to any j*b where I am told what to do, when to do it, and how to do it.

My "freedom" was well earned, thank you very much.

(Sorry to rant, but I'm feeling like it, today ...)

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I realize it's not easy, but I can't remember seeing finding another employer or career as an alternative if you don't like your work instead of RE. I find it hard to believe anyone dislikes work in general, but maybe I'm wrong.
I think in quite a few cases, forum members do not dislike their work, just the work environment. After investing in the education and training to obtain the job they have now, it is too difficult to find an alternative that pays as well. Besides, where can you go? It is better to grit your teeth, and build up your savings. Would you think any CEO would read posts like these, to see how corporate America has destroyed the nation productivity? Or do they even care?

I am among the ones who tried to build small businesses with friends, so we can do it "our way" without the megacorp BS, but we failed miserably.

Ron, in the above post, expressed his sentiments that he had worked hard in his life and now deserves some rest. Man, that's hard work, compared to what I have done. Ron is also older, in the 60s. But some people like myself are in their early 50s, when we are burnt out more due to corporate BS more than the work. My wife, of the same age as mine, got stressed out of her job with all the outsourcing to India.

P.S. I often lamented to my friends at a megacorp that perhaps they harassed us with BS so we would quit and save them the severance pay ...
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Would you think any CEO would read posts like these, to see how corporate America has destroyed the nation productivity? Or do they even care?
I think many corporations have the mindset that employees are a "cost", as if they're getting no benefit...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I think many corporations have the mindset that employees are a "cost", as if they're getting no benefit...
Sooo - getting layed off at 49 after 23 years - which mildly pissed me off at the time - in the end made me happy.

Took a while for the part between my ears to morph from unemployed to retired.

I'd hate to think if I accidentily bumped my head or something that W word stuff would come back.

heh heh heh - and luckily I do suffer from nightmares.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
My dentist enjoys his work and sets his own hours.

How about being a pharmacist (even though you may be able to set your own hours)? A pharmacist does not have to do status report, project planning, attend meetings, meet deadlines, give or receive performance reviews, work on personal development plan.
Oh really? Let me introduce you to some friends of mine!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
commercial aviation is starting to take a nose-dive.
....so to speak....
Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
Those people would get eaten alive in healthcare management. No, we shuffle 'em off to "mentor" young 'uns or to write the history of the local medical school.