Morgan Stanley Client University

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW & I have been invited by BIL to attend a Morgan Stanley 'Client University' It actually seems interesting as they will have speakers on issues I have not yet engaged with like estate planning, preparing heirs, identity theft and the like. Don't think I would be much interested in their investment presentations. These are better than the pond scum that peddled 403b plans in DW school teaching days but not as compelling as the enlightened folks here.

Soooo, if some dingbat agent tries to corner me on subjects that do not interest me what should I say/ask? I have tried mentioning I am a Vanguard Diehard, astute brokers actually know what that is. Is there a way to avoid the distractions (like ignoring the noise & lights in Vegas) while moving purposefully towards the free food and only interesting conversations?

I usually tell them I retired early. Then I ask them if they want me to help them with their personal portfolios so that they can retire as well.

Wear a hearing aid and pretend that it is not working.

On a more serious note:

1. if there is a talk on another subject which has just started or is about to start (whether or not you want to attend), use that as a pretext to keep moving

2. be candid and tell them that parts of the session (e.g. estate planning) are very interesting and helpful but that [insert topic] is an area you feel is under control

If all else fails, you may have to accept that ploitely listening to uninteresting matters is the price of the "free" food.

IS it just me, or does that sound like an oxymoron?? :)

Back
Top Bottom