Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Morningstar chart showing history of bull markets
Old 05-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Morningstar chart showing history of bull markets

Quote:
Bearish calls ... might make you worried about the U.S. stock market, which is more than five years into its bull run that began March 2009.

But a chart created by Morningstar Inc., the Chicago-based investment research firm, shows bull markets often have lasted for more than five years.
This chart may make you less worried about U.S. stocks

My razor-sharp analytical skills immediately focused on the fact there is a lot more blue than red...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A history of bull markets in one Morningstar chart.JPG (64.3 KB, 201 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This chart may make you less worried about U.S. stocks

My razor-sharp analytical skills immediately focused on the fact there is a lot more blue than red...
The red and blue were much more balanced before the days of the Federal Reserve.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Love those bullish graphs Rewahoo!
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

There was some argument at M* that this graph left out a couple of bear markets, but still!
Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Very nice

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Turboslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The red and blue were much more balanced before the days of the Federal Reserve.
Yeah for the Federal Reserve! - I wanna more blue - note non-political statement.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The Federal Reserve came about as a reaction to the panic of 1907. Didn't fix everything though.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

This chart looks 'awfully' good. If the market is this good, why do we worry about not being able to afford early retirement?

It bothers me, because it appears to be in conflict with other info, for example FIRECalc that tells us there were tough periods in the past.

Then, it occurrs to me that the chart shows total returns, but before inflation! Subtract out the loss due to inflation, then perhaps the "blue" areas are no longer so impressive, and the "red" may grow larger. Yes? I am sure there will remain more blue than red, else why bother to invest, but the difference will not be so striking.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Then, it occurrs to me that the chart shows total returns, but before inflation! Subtract out the loss due to inflation, then perhaps the "blue" areas are no longer so impressive, and the "red" may grow larger. Yes? I am sure there will remain more blue than red, else why bother to invest, but the difference will not be so striking.
This bothers me frequently, people producing charts and disregarding inflation and deflation.

For example, the 1930s weren't so bad as the graph seems to indicate. Yes, the index dropped 80%, however in the same period there also was a deflation of about 25%. In the mean time you also got about 4% real dividend. Still no great performance.

Likewise, that -42% drop in the 70s also had terrible inflation and bled over in the 80s.

A look at Shiller's data: If you start in 1973 at a real index of 100, and then jump to 1982: -60% loss in real terms. One mighty bear market. Luckily, this is also without dividends.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
This bothers me frequently, people producing charts and disregarding inflation and deflation.

For example, the 1930s weren't so bad as the graph seems to indicate. Yes, the index dropped 80%, however in the same period there also was a deflation of about 25%. In the mean time you also got about 4% real dividend. Still no great performance.

Likewise, that -42% drop in the 70s also had terrible inflation and bled over in the 80s.

A look at Shiller's data: If you start in 1973 at a real index of 100, and then jump to 1982: -60% loss in real terms. One mighty bear market. Luckily, this is also without dividends.
+2

Not a criticism of the OP, it certainly is an interesting graph and worth posting. But w/o inflation/deflation accounted for, it really doesn't paint a very accurate picture.

Anyone willing to mock one up that matches the format in the OP? Not me, I've got grass to cut!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sorry, this is not the same format but might be a useful comparison:

Old 05-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Now, we are reminded that the decade of 2000-2010 was hell. We should all pat ourselves on the back for surviving it, and many even prospered.

Then, the decade of the 70s was also bad, and the 40s was nothing to write home about.

Here, let's toast a drink to the big unknown awaiting us in the years ahead. I've got my motorhome as the potential housing of last resort. How about you?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

If the present bull market continues for another five years or more, I hate to think what will happen to the forum.

Normally rational old time members might become self-styled "investment geniuses" like all those newbies who come here, try to tell us how brilliant they are, and disappear. Egos would be over the top!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If the present bull market continues for another five years or more, I hate to think what will happen to the forum.

Normally rational old time members might become self-styled "investment geniuses" like all those newbies who come here, try to tell us how brilliant they are, and disappear. Egos would be over the top!
It's entirely possible and should not be discounted, although I have no idea if it is likely. Housing construction has been a major component of economic growth in the past and it continues at historically low levels. Even a slow growth trend will slowly push the overall rate of growth up.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

That old timer rationality came after some investment genius phases. One advantage of aging.

If I had to guess, I'd guess we will have a moderately rising market (on average) for quite some time.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Now, we are reminded that the decade of 2000-2010 was hell. We should all pat ourselves on the back for surviving it, and many even prospered.

Then, the decade of the 70s was also bad, and the 40s was nothing to write home about.

Here, let's toast a drink to the big unknown awaiting us in the years ahead. I've got my motorhome as the potential housing of last resort. How about you?
Interesting observation NW-Bound. I would guess that a good majority of the already ER'd posters @ this forum did so during the 2000-2010 decade (I'm a 1/1/2003 graduate) I guess we are a bunch of tough cookies uh?

As to the housing of last resort - 7 acres and house in SW Oregon paid for - far away from civilization. Hand pump for water and plenty of forest for firewood. Hell, the only threat is Big Foot somewhere nearby...
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:29 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've got my homes too, but can I rule out the chance they have to be liquidated to get money for cat food? I cannot live off the land in either place.

As I explained in another thread (see: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1454766), I have imagined the future in two alternate extreme scenarios, and I can manage and try to have fun in either one.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:21 PM   #18

Quote:
This chart looks 'awfully' good. If the market is this good, why do we worry about not being able to afford early retirement?

It bothers me, because it appears to be in conflict with other info, for example FIRECalc that tells us there were tough periods in the past.

Me thinks you may be onto something.

The S&P 500, Dow and Nasdaq Since Their 2000 Highs
Old 05-31-2014, 08:00 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Bikerdude - that chart is depressing. Why am I investing in equities?!
Live Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:07 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Because the "Lost Decade" is behind us, and "Happy Days Are Here Again"?

Besides, so many of us survived and prospered through that terrible decade, as described by the testimonies told in a concurrent thread and others before that.