Join Early Retirement Today

Morningstar Premium
Old 07-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #1

Morningstar Premium

I subscribed to Morningstar Premium a couple of years ago when I was thinking I would do more portfolio tweaking and could use the features such as X-Ray. But I haven't used it that much so when I got the e-mail warning me of the automatic renewal, I called to cancel. I wasn't surprised when the agent asked me a few questions and then said if I would consider renewing with a discount - I said it depended on the discount. She put me on hold to "check with her manager" and came back offering more than ⅓ off for another year. So I decided it was worth keeping it another year, with a resolution to use it more.

Just thought this might be helpful to others out there on the fence about renewing.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use the Morningstar portfolio tracker to just check to see how I'm doing on a daily or weekly basis. Being a pretty much buy and hold indexer it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to pay for the premium service.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use M* premium services for free. TRowePrice (where I keep zero assets) lets folks do so. For instance, Portfolio Tracker, Portfolio X-ray are free. This loophole has not been closed in more than a decade.

M* could probably provide the service for free with all the ads they have on their web site. Plus it probably costs them more money to implement a faulty paywall than the money they collect from individuals anyways.

I wonder how folks feel who are paying for this service when they know that it is given away free to lots of people.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I use M* premium services for free. TRowePrice (where I keep zero assets) lets folks do so. For instance, Portfolio Tracker, Portfolio X-ray are free. This loophole has not been closed in more than a decade.
GREAT tip. Thanks LOL
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #5

Quote:

M* could probably provide the service for free with all the ads they have on their web site. Plus it probably costs them more money to implement a faulty paywall than the money they collect from individuals anyways.

I wonder how folks feel who are paying for this service when they know that it is given away free to lots of people.
+1
Old 07-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I subscribed to Morningstar Premium a couple of years ago when I was thinking I would do more portfolio tweaking and could use the features such as X-Ray. But I haven't used it that much so when I got the e-mail warning me of the automatic renewal, I called to cancel. I wasn't surprised when the agent asked me a few questions and then said if I would consider renewing with a discount - I said it depended on the discount. She put me on hold to "check with her manager" and came back offering more than ⅓ off for another year. So I decided it was worth keeping it another year, with a resolution to use it more.

Just thought this might be helpful to others out there on the fence about renewing.
Morningstar X-Ray is available to Quicken owners.

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:28 AM   #7

I was a frequent user of M* for a very long time. Really like the premium Mutual Fund screener. When I called to cancel I got the same sort of thing - but the reality was I just didn't need it anymore. I still get emails from them from time-to-time with pretty big discounts.

I wish they had a "one-time only" single-month subscription. Might be willing to do that once in a while. They do have a month-by-month subscription but you can't un-subscribe online (or at least you couldn't when I had a subscription). You have to call.

Big-Papa
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Could somebody explain how to access M* premium in this way, even if we aren't TRP customers?

Thanks.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Morningstar Premium
Old 07-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Morningstar Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
Morningstar X-Ray is available to Quicken owners.

That's how I've been accessing it and took a little of the sting out of paying to upgrade to Quicken 2015. I've had T Rowe Price access through my 457 plan, but my investments are already in Quicken, so they're already integrated (that is, they've been entered across various accounts in the process of using Quicken for other purposes).

I like that the X-Ray makes it easy to see in aggregate what the expense ratio of an overall portfolio or subset is (vs an individual fund).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
Could somebody explain how to access M* premium in this way, even if we aren't TRP customers?

Thanks.
My local library has a Morningstar membership and I can access it on line via my library card number. Yours might also.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My local library has a Morningstar membership and I can access it on line via my library card number. Yours might also.
That's a great idea. Thanks! I just checked and found I have access to M* and ValueLine.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #12

A few years ago, I was tweaking several things in my portfolio. I needed to model a few alternative scenarios and quickly compare aggregate data for each, such as AA, ER, yield, duration, geography, and sectors. I signed up for the 2-week free trial on M*, did what I needed to do with X-Ray, and then canceled before my CC was charged. I use Personal Capital (free) to monitor same analytical stats for the actual portfolio. But it's not as good as X-Ray for ad-hoc modeling of hypothetical changes. I also have free access to Fidelity's GPS, which can model hypothetical portfolios. But I've found the actual analytical content is a little better at M*, and it's a little easier to use. M* Prem is just way too pricey for the infrequent times I need to use it.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post

Thanks.
There is a discussion about it:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ial-31324.html
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:45 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I negotiated with M* last time my premium membership was to do renewal.They gave me a good deal on 3 years. Just a couple of months later Schwab announced that they were including M* research as part of the brokerage service. I think M* stock research is the best, although Value line is also very good.

However, I'll cancel my M* membership if I can get 90% via Schwab.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:21 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I negotiated with M* last time my premium membership was to do renewal.They gave me a good deal on 3 years. Just a couple of months later Schwab announced that they were including M* research as part of the brokerage service. I think M* stock research is the best, although Value line is also very good.

However, I'll cancel my M* membership if I can get 90% via Schwab.

Don't bother. Maximizing "view count" is a great way to get easy money in the bank by promoting a blog on e-r.org. Might not be kosher by forum guidelines, though.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:04 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Portfolio tracker and x-ray are free with the free level of M*.
Premium has extra features. For example, it will find the intersection of a certain stock in your portfolio and give you a percentage held.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote