Join Early Retirement Today

Morningstar- Safe Withdrawl wkst
Old 05-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Morningstar- Safe Withdrawl wkst

I found this worksheet put together by Morningstar to help determine safe withdrawl rates. Not perfect, but an interesting approach for starters.

http://news.morningstar.com/pdfs/Inc...ncomeWorksheet

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Administrator

One nice thing about the worksheet is that it considered retirements as long as 40 years.

My asset allocation lay halfway between two of their choices. My retirement is planned for 35 years, halfway between two of their choices as well. But, at least I got an idea of a high and low tentative SWR, and I feel comfortable somewhere in that range.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The SWR I got from running my calculation was ... 4%. Shocking.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #4

LOL! For every portfolio mix, at the 85% level of confidence, the SWR was about 4%. I didn't bother to fill in the worksheet.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Administrator

I went for 95%, so according to the worksheet my SWR lies somewhere between 3.3% and 4.0%.

That works for me since I will probably take 3.5% until I claim my SS, then 3.0%. Or less, if/when the market tanks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

It's interesting they mix an inflation adjusted withdrawal from the left hand side with unadjusted cash flow on the right hand side (or they assume all pensions are COLA I guess)
Old 05-31-2010, 08:46 AM   #7

Anybody look at the expected returns? I think the SWR numbers are high. Valuation matters.
Quote:
Expected real compound rates of return are:
large-cap stocks 5.5%,
mid/small-cap stocks 6.5%,
international stocks 6.0%,
bonds 3.0%,
cash 1.5%
Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

"Anybody look at the expected returns? I think the SWR numbers are high. Valuation matters. "

This worksheet was first referenced in the below linked article dated 2001. Long enuf time to review numbers?

Repositioning Your Portfolio at or Near Retirement
Old 06-01-2010, 05:01 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are planning on 4% (without factoring in Pension, and our SS). So our WR% will drop.

Given the drop in the WR, I figure we have a reasonable margin of safety.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm planning on around 3% - which I hope will be a bit less than the after tax income from the portfolio. FIRECalc and other calculators tend to tell me that I am being too conservative, but with a 40+ year time horizon I'd rather work for an extra few years now to achieve a lower SWR than be faced with looking for work in my 80s.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #11

Well, I'm using the Guyton/Klinger withdrawal strategy, and am using 4.5% SWR.

Funny thing is, when taken together with my pension and SS (started at age 62), that's much more than we need, and slightly more net income than my final (net) salary income before I retired. So most months we put the excess back into the portfolio.

--edit--
In accordance to the G/K rules, the "Capital Preservation Rule" kicked in for 2009 so the 2009 draw was reduced from the 2008 draw. Also, the "Modified Withdrawal Rule" kicked in for 2010 so there was no increase in the draw from 2009.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

This is what I don't understand

This is what I don't understand. If your portfolio spills out an average of 6-8% per year, why can't you withdraw 5-6% every year and still keep your principal? If you have conservative portfolio, chances are your portfolio will earn 5-8% and may loose 5-10% (once every 5-10 year). The loss should be covered by 6-8% minus 5% withdrawl rate. Why everyone is too worried about keeping the principal for ever. Don't we all have to leave this world sooner or later?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsingh6675 View Post
This is what I don't understand. If your portfolio spills out an average of 6-8% per year, why can't you withdraw 5-6% every year and still keep your principal? If you have conservative portfolio, chances are your portfolio will earn 5-8% and may loose 5-10% (once every 5-10 year). The loss should be covered by 6-8% minus 5% withdrawl rate. Why everyone is too worried about keeping the principal for ever. Don't we all have to leave this world sooner or later?
Inflation.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A fixed percent of assets approach is reasonable and common, though not at that high a rate. This has the advantage of theoretically never running out, but the disadvantage of diminishing if the WR is too high. It also requires some flexibility in your cost of living to you can belt-tighten during lean years.

See Clyatt's book cited in the archives here for one detailed approach to this. Many of us who use this approach choose 4.3 to 4.5% WR since it goes down during bad years and up during good years.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

If I am reading this spreadsheet correctly it looks to me that for 20, 30 and 40 year time horizons there is virtually no difference between a Conservative portfolio or an Agressive portfolio (and everything in-between) for a 95% probability of success. Does that seem correct for a 40 year window especially? If you trust this data then what reason would there be to put any more than 25% of one's assets in equities if the probability for success remains the same? A larger estate for your heirs? If so I guess the question would be does one want to take the greater risk for someone elses reward.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Inflation for 1
volatility of returns for another

If you PLAN on an 8% return, the assets which provide that return will have returns which range from -5% to +25% about 66% of the time (that is the known deviation of large cap stocks). So if you take out 6% in the year which the market drops -5%, your porfolio just lost around 11% in one year. 2-3 years like that and you are dealing with a much smaller sum of money that you planned for.

Average returns are one thing, the volatility of those same returns is why the withdraw rate is less.

Add to that a 4% withdraw in year 1 is increased 3% each year for inflation (in projections and planning), so 24 year into retirement, its highly possibly you are taking out 8% of your portfolio value and not 4%.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
If I am reading this spreadsheet correctly it looks to me that for 20, 30 and 40 year time horizons there is virtually no difference between a Conservative portfolio or an Agressive portfolio (and everything in-between) for a 95% probability of success. Does that seem correct for a 40 year window especially? If you trust this data then what reason would there be to put any more than 25% of one's assets in equities if the probability for success remains the same? A larger estate for your heirs? If so I guess the question would be does one want to take the greater risk for someone elses reward.
I noticed same thing

For 40 years, the SWR is 3.3% regardless of asset allocation
For 30 years the SWR ranged from 3.9% to 4% regardless of asset allocation
For 20 years, the SWR ranges from 5%-5.3% regardless of asset allocation

To me, what this tells me is SWR has a bigger influence on results than the exact allocation.

Tags
safe withdrawl