Join Early Retirement Today

Morningstar Withdrawl Strategies Study
Old 09-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Morningstar Withdrawl Strategies Study

Interesting study from Morningstar (June 2012) on various withdrawl strategies.

Some of the first pages are pretty mathematical, but scroll down and keep reading.

http://corporate.morningstar.com/ib/...Portfolios.pdf

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So based on their (single) withdrwal rate efficiency metric the "Mortality Updating failure Percentage" withdrwal scheme wins the race. And the classic SWR with inflation adjustments loses out and comes in last.

My take... Just like stock market indicators, there is no single metric that can tell you when to buy and when to sell. Similarly there is no single metric that can tell you how best to optimize your nestegg.

But the study indeed has value, perhaps we can takeaway the idea that there are better ways to utilize the nestegg. The plan that came in highest is as good as any of them. Wouldn't it be nice though, if the stock market behaved better so that we could all plan accordingly.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #3

An indicator of income each year during retirement would have been nice. I suspect their favored methods would result in higher spending later in retirement. The standard 4% rule usually leaves a lot on the table as portfolios grow in retirement. Not sure I want to buy my Ferrari when I'm 90 though.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
An indicator of income each year during retirement would have been nice. I suspect their favored methods would result in higher spending later in retirement. The standard 4% rule usually leaves a lot on the table as portfolios grow in retirement. Not sure I want to buy my Ferrari when I'm 90 though.
I've said it before (and I'll probably repeat myself as Alzheimers approaches): I've used the various SWR methods ONLY to know when to pull the plug for ER. IOW, when I got to the point that I could live on about 3.5% or so of my stash, I considered myself FI. But, once I retired, actually taking withdrawals was more of a seat of the pants approach, moderated by current economic conditions as well as gut feel. My point is that once one ER's, I think a slavish approach to withdrawal rates is problematic. YMMV as always.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
IOW, when I got to the point that I could live on about 3.5% or so of my stash, I considered myself FI. But, once I retired, actually taking withdrawals was more of a seat of the pants approach, moderated by current economic conditions as well as gut feel.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a grease pencil, cut with an axe...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #6

I only glanced at the article, but this quote got my attention:

"The main idea behind WER is the calculation of how well, on average, a given
withdrawal strategy compares with what the retiree(s) could have withdrawn if they possessed perfect information on both the market returns, including their sequencing, and the precise time of death."

If I knew exactly how the market segments will perform every year, when I would die, what inflation would be each year, etc. it would sure make planning easier, wouldn't it? Everybody has different circumstances. I think it does emphasize the need to periodically review your portfolio and make adjustments as necessary.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
If I knew exactly how the market segments will perform every year, when I would die, what inflation would be each year, etc. it would sure make planning easier, wouldn't it?
If you could bottle that calculation, it would probably be as important as E=mc2 ...
Old 09-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Not sure I want to buy my Ferrari when I'm 90 though.
Reminds me of Second Hand Lions...
Old 09-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a grease pencil, cut with an axe...
Words to live by!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
I only glanced at the article, but this quote got my attention:

"The main idea behind WER is the calculation of how well, on average, a given
withdrawal strategy compares with what the retiree(s) could have withdrawn if they possessed perfect information on both the market returns, including their sequencing, and the precise time of death."

If I knew exactly how the market segments will perform every year, when I would die, what inflation would be each year, etc. it would sure make planning easier, wouldn't it? Everybody has different circumstances. I think it does emphasize the need to periodically review your portfolio and make adjustments as necessary.
I think that's the point of their preferred method. It gives a rule for adjusting current withdrawals based on past portfolio performance.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sigh. I suppose the article has higher class and better math than my Unified General theory of Chickenheartedness. That along with my annual belly button quiver check gets me by.

heh heh heh - but I doubt if I could ever get a paper published on it. . Handgrenade and horseshoe wise still 2 - 6% with 4% benchmark give or take a tad.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
Reminds me of Second Hand Lions...
One of my all time favorite movies!!!!!!!

"The kid gets it all - bury us in the garden next to the damn lion."