Join Early Retirement Today

morningstar x-ray vs fidelity analysis
Old 04-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

morningstar x-ray vs fidelity analysis

i notice a big difference in the style box breakout between the morningstar x-ray and the fidelity portfilio analysis. ..not sure why they should vary so much when analyzing a portfolio. especially when they are all fidelity funds

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
gone traveling

Remember that the analysis on Fidelity for either stock or bonds only apply to those that are not ex-US, unlike M* that considers all content in your reported portfolio view.

See the tabs on the Fidelity analysis screen that show "Domestic Stocks" & Domestic Bonds". The top graph shows your investment vs. the named refrence and the bottom graph (looks like M*) shows the breakout for only US funds, if that's the screen you are refering to...

When I run RIP there is a slight difference of ~2% in my stock/bond holdings which is a bit strange since Fidelity does a link to M* for their analysis (confirmed with their backoffice developers), but that is IMHO an allowable deviation in possibly grabbing data from two different current sources and rounding...

Old 04-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

i was analyzing 3 fidelity funds at once, low priced stock, equity income and blue chip growth... the style boxes were radically different between morningstars analyzation and fidelitys
Old 04-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I used the Fidelity Retirement Income Planner (RIP) and plug in all my accounts and funds. It gives the same breakdown as the Morningstar Portfolio X-ray when you substitute VFSVX for VSS (FRIP doesn't understand what VSS is).

I am not quite sure what Fidelity tool mathjak107 is using.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

when you go into portfolio summary theres a tab on the right that says analyze. it will produce a style box for your portfolio.

for the 3 funds above combined

morningstar shows 22% large value 21% core 22% growth
10% midcap value 8% core 7% growth
3% small cap growth , 3%core 2% growth

fidelity shows 43% large value ,0 core, 45.2 growth
11.8 mid cap value , 0 core, zero growth
0 small cap value, 0 small cap core , 0 small cap growth
Old 04-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I see. It's a bust for me.

1. It is only domestic equities and none of the foreign funds, and

2. Each fund appears to be assigned to one of the 9 boxes in the grid. My 2 domestic funds are assigned to large-cap blend (Spartan S&P500 index) and medium-cap blend (Spartan extended market index).

There is no breakdown of a fund into separate boxes in the grid for my two funds.

Thus Fidelity is similar to the lame-o Vanguard Portfolio Watch tool. They both border on useless.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

see , i was on to something here...