Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am going to try to get my 4.875 fixed rate with about 25-26 years left refinanced into a 15 year at 3.00 or so. Shave off 10 years and my P&I only goes up $200 a month.
Maybe I should price out a 20 year as well.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Did a refinance at the credit union last week and got a 10 year fixed 3.37% with closing costs capped at $900. No escrow. They even let me keep the current HELOC which is 2.68%. I thought they would make me roll it in. They do not sell the loans. They were more interested in monthly income than total assets. But when asked for any other income, I said 'You guys pay me about 10K year in CD interest', she did not even write it down. We had to show them paycheck stubs 2 different times and at closing. My average CD ladder rate for the next 2 years is 3.9%.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
I am going to try to get my 4.875 fixed rate with about 25-26 years left refinanced into a 15 year at 3.00 or so. Shave off 10 years and my P&I only goes up $200 a month.
Maybe I should price out a 20 year as well.

I am going to go for the 3% also... lower rates cost more than it is worth...

The 20 year rate does not seem to be that much different than 30...
Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well...my credit isn't the greatest (long story, and everyone has one). But, with home box loans, I'm at a 3.625 30 yr no cost. It will save just under $100/month. So, I'm in!
Old 07-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
Well...my credit isn't the greatest (long story, and everyone has one). But, with home box loans, I'm at a 3.625 30 yr no cost. It will save just under $100/month. So, I'm in!

I filled out the app for Box today... but the cost went up from yesterday by about $300 for some reason... I will check it out next week and lock it in soon.. or get a bit higher rate for less money...
Old 07-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I filled out the app for Box today... but the cost went up from yesterday by about $300 for some reason... I will check it out next week and lock it in soon.. or get a bit higher rate for less money...
Box' pricing comes direct from the MBS market and is updated at least once a day. So the move was due to moves in the MBS market.

I told them that I would be out of town on the proposed date of the closing and they said a POA for DW would be fine. Appraiser showing up on Monday.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
And if we follow the path of Japan ...
That's exactly what I was wondering about a few posts back.
I haven't checked in a while, but the mortgage rate was about 2 percent; deposit interest rate 0.5%.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
That's exactly what I was wondering about a few posts back.
I haven't checked in a while, but the mortgage rate was about 2 percent; deposit interest rate 0.5%.
Then I will refinance yet again...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #69
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am definitely guilty of being a serial mortgage refinancer. I promised my husband last fall when we did a VA streamline refi to a 30 year fixed at 3.75% that we were done.

Then, last week I get an email from the same mortgage broker:

"I hope you are doing well. I am following up with past clients to inform you of the recent rate decrease. I could drop your interest rate to 3.25% for 30 year fixed. Some loan details:
1) No income or assets needed
2) No appraisal needed
3) 0 points and 0 origination fee
4) Lender credit for title charges , so no cost loan"

So, I guess we are going to re-fi again at 3.25% . . . I'm sure this time will be the last . . .
Old 07-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabieta View Post

So, I guess we are going to re-fi again at 3.25% . . . I'm sure this time will be the last . . .
I would do this too. But is it too good to be true? I'd call the lender using a phone number that I knew to be legitimate.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #71

Quote:
I am definitely guilty of being a serial mortgage refinancer. I promised my husband last fall when we did a VA streamline refi to a 30 year fixed at 3.75% that we were done.

Then, last week I get an email from the same mortgage broker:

"I hope you are doing well. I am following up with past clients to inform you of the recent rate decrease. I could drop your interest rate to 3.25% for 30 year fixed. Some loan details:
1) No income or assets needed
2) No appraisal needed
3) 0 points and 0 origination fee
4) Lender credit for title charges , so no cost loan"

Amazing, this nails it. It must be deflation for the next 30 years so 3.25 % for 30 years looks awfully good to whoever is lending the money.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #72
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I would do this too. But is it too good to be true? I'd call the lender using a phone number that I knew to be legitimate.

Yes, it's legitimate, and we are in the process now. This one came out of nowhere, and completely unsolicited on my part.

There was a time when VA mortgages cost more than the conventional, but that has changed -- plus they offer a streamline refinance option that is completely painless, officially known as IRRRL (Interest Rate Reduction Refinancing Loan.)
Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Recently, I have been getting telemarketing calls offering the low rate of 6.75%... What planet are they on?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Amazing, this nails it. It must be deflation for the next 30 years so 3.25 % for 30 years looks awfully good to whoever is lending the money.
Well, I am in the process of getting 3.375 with 0 lender costs but third party costs of 1400 total. So I guess so far it looks like you got the best deal so far. How long was that offer out there......30 seconds.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
In talking to my lender at First Financial Services, Inc. he said that 3.25% rate was out there for maybe one day and you had to have at least a 60% equity stake and of course stellar credit.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Well, I am in the process of getting 3.375 with 0 lender costs but third party costs of 1400 total. So I guess so far it looks like you got the best deal so far. How long was that offer out there......30 seconds.
I too have a 3.375% loan in the pipes with some closing costs. The lender allows me to take a lower rate before closing by paying 0.5 points. In July there were some days where the rate dropped to 3.25%. If it had gone to 3.125 I might have reset the loan.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #77
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
In talking to my lender at First Financial Services, Inc. he said that 3.25% rate was out there for maybe one day and you had to have at least a 60% equity stake and of course stellar credit.

Well, I think in our case, it was the fact that we have a VA mortgage. While we fit the "stellar credit" category, we sure don't meet the 60% equity. We do not even have to do an appraisal to do a streamline refi. VA mortgages sure have become a lot more desirable than they were when I first qualified . . .
Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
How can someone do a loan without doing an appraisal or checking ones income. Something doesn't add up.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #79
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
How can someone do a loan without doing an appraisal or checking ones income. Something doesn't add up.

For those carrying a VA mortgage, there is a streamline refinancing option, or Interest Rate Reduction Refinancing Loan (IRRRFL) which is authorized by the VA.

The IRRRL program does not require appraisal or credit underwriting, though an individual lender may.

Here is a link to the details of the program.

IRRRL Facts for Veterans - Home Loan Links
Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #80

Quote:
For those carrying a VA mortgage, there is a streamline refinancing option, or Interest Rate Reduction Refinancing Loan (IRRRFL) which is authorized by the VA.

The IRRRL program does not require appraisal or credit underwriting, though an individual lender may.

Here is a link to the details of the program.

IRRRL Facts for Veterans - Home Loan Links
Thank you, Gabieta. I would have been eligible for this if this was coming from an existing VA loan. Too bad I am already in the process of my new loan with the appraiser coming today. If there is another refi opportunity I definitely will look into VA funding.