Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cor, FWIW, I am pretty sure that Pen Fed will let you float on the rate if you don't want to lock right now. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

I don't plan on lifting a finger unless I can do 4.5% or less on the 5/5 ARM or maybe another 15 year fixed.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Treasury yields are amazingly low, but they started to creep up a bit EOD. My crystal ball says rates will go up tomorrow. I locked the 15-year fixed at 4.625%.

Edit: FWIW, I talked to a PenFed rep on the phone to get a better handle on the fees.

They listed about $1700 in fees on my good faith estimate, but of those I will only get hit with about $700 in title insurance.

They pay most fees at closing. One is conditional on using their preferred provider: settlement/closing fee.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Cor, FWIW, I am pretty sure that Pen Fed will let you float on the rate if you don't want to lock right now. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

I don't plan on lifting a finger unless I can do 4.5% or less on the 5/5 ARM or maybe another 15 year fixed.
I'm sure they would. Personally, I'm thinking very strongly about the 4.625 15 year fixed at zero points. I'll take it and run, I'm not greedy.

ETA: Actually, their FAQ says I can't float on a refi, I either have to lock at time of app or purchase (way overpriced IMHO) rate protection.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Finished the app with Penfed about 30 minutes ago 4.625% 15 yr fixed zero points under $1200 quoted for costs and I checked the little box to skip the escrow so I can pay my own taxes and insurance rather than give them the interest free loan (brought up in a previous thread) thanks guys!!!! Woohoo This is a nice move from the 5.75 I was paying.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Something you USED to have??
Yes ...

Had three of them (so far) in my "lifetime" ...

1975 - 25 years @ 10% (sold/traded up in '79)
1979 - 20 years @ 10% (paid off in 15 years)
1994 - 30 years @ 6.875% (paid off in 5.5 years - lot of LBYM on that one, but saved over $150k in foregone interest)

Not to be debate which is better (mortgage vs. no mortgage), but I'm sure glad I don't have one currently. Just thought I'd let the "youngsters" see what rates were in the distant past...

- Ron
Old 01-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Every time I've tried this with NFCU they've laughed heartily. However I've never threatened to decamp to PenFed before.

We have had luck with asking the title company to "re-issue the policy" (the magic phrase) instead of doing it all over again. This works best when the title company notices that you've been a repeat customer during your serial refinancings.
Well, I asked USAA today and they didn't laugh heartily, but they also said they weren't doing it this time around. Fine by me.

On title insurance I think there may be a double benefit - you can ask for the reissue rate (if your current title insurance policy is relatively new?) and get a refund on the previous title policy (because they only insured for a short period of time?). I plan to try both tricks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I'm probably going to put in an app at PenFed tonight for the 15 year fixed. If the rates drop in the next week or so I'm hoping I can cancel app #1 and apply again. This will cost me a hard credit inquiry, but that's probably worth it.

The only thing I'm trying to decide is whether or not to go for the 80% LTV with escrow or the 75% with no escrow. Think I'll wait on the appraisal to decide.
I poked around and I think there'd be some glitch in canceling and restarting, so I don't think I'll do that. I did find a ratewatch link where Penfed will email you if their rates drop to a certain rate/point combo. I signed up to let me know if it drops to 4.5 or 4.375.

I applied tonight and asked for 80% LTV and no escrow, even though someone at Penfed said you need 75% LTV to avoid escrow. Will see what they say.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:43 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Can you easily login to your account with Pen Fed and check your balances?
Do you have to pay the $20 membership fee every year or only once when you take out the mortgage?
Old 01-24-2008, 06:47 AM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Can you easily login to your account with Pen Fed and check your balances?
I don't have a mortgage with PenFed, but I do have a CC with them. Although not the most sophisticated interface I've seen, I can check my balances online and transfer money from my savings account to the CC account.

Quote:
Do you have to pay the $20 membership fee every year or only once when you take out the mortgage?
It's a one-time fee to become a member of the CU.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

1/2 point jump in 1 day...15 yr fixed is 5.125

Oh well. Guess I'm back to waiting.

Do you have to be a member to start an application online?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Why not join and put $10 into a "share account" (checking)? That way you are ready to jump.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #71

Quote:

I noticed USAA took a significant jump as well
Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Happened in the last 30 min. Earlier this morning was still at 4.625

Grrrr....I missed the boat, too
Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, just called PenFed and they quoted me 5.125. To those who struck yesterday while the iron was still hot, congrats!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
My crystal ball says rates will go up tomorrow. I locked the 15-year fixed at 4.625%.
If you missed the low rates, maybe I could interest you in my crystal ball.

The 10-year treasury went from 3.3% yesterday to 3.63% today. I think you'll have to wait for the stock market to tank again before we see rates pushed that low again. (Which might not be a long wait.)
Old 01-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
If you missed the low rates, maybe I could interest you in my crystal ball.

The 10-year treasury went from 3.3% yesterday to 3.63% today. I think you'll have to wait for the stock market to tank again before we see rates pushed that low again. (Which might not be a long wait.)
This is probably just the first inning of this ballgame.
Give it a few months and those rates may be a lot lower.

What would prevent that would be a renewed roaring economy and a ripping new bull market, in which case who cares about a refi?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Why not join and put $10 into a "share account" (checking)? That way you are ready to jump.
Not a bad idea.

At what point during the application process does the rate lock in? When I called Penfed this morning, she said the rate was still 4.625, but it could change at any minute. lol

I wasn't going to start an application, not being a member, and then have everything blow up in my face - rate jumps to 5.125 before I lock and then have a application cancel fee.

I'm at work and didn't have time yest and today to jump on this. My bad.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I did find a ratewatch link where Penfed will email you if their rates drop to a certain rate/point combo.
Nice, thanks!

http://penfed.mortgagewebcenter.com/...ch.asp?PID=186

I think I'll send NFCU a note about this very attractive tool...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #78

Quote:
Not a bad idea.

At what point during the application process does the rate lock in? When I called Penfed this morning, she said the rate was still 4.625, but it could change at any minute. lol

I wasn't going to start an application, not being a member, and then have everything blow up in my face - rate jumps to 5.125 before I lock and then have a application cancel fee.

I'm at work and didn't have time yest and today to jump on this. My bad.
I'm not sure if you have to be a member or not. I was, and they asked for my membership # during the application process.

You get to pick your rate/points combination in the middle of the online application process.

For a refi, the rate locks either (a) when you finish the online application (which takes about 1/2 hour if you have ready access to all the required data), or (b) when you decide to lock. Option (b) requires you buy their "Rate Protection" which is some sort of point/fee combination.

They charge $65 to a credit card at the end of the application, which is credited back to you at closing. So you would already know the rate/points prior to paying that fee. You do lose the $65 (and end up with a hard inquiry on your credit report) if the loan doesn't close.

I was at work yesterday too, but I figured that I saved right around $190K with this refinance, so I thought it was worth a few hours of running around and thinking about.

2Cor521
Old 01-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #79

Interesting (well, interesting to me, anyway) update: On the 15 year fixed, PenFed will loan at 90% LTV. I guessed, wrongly, that they would only do 80% LTV.

I got my 30 year fixed last year and put 20% down. After a year of regular payments and modest appreciation, I'm sitting at about 76% LTV.

If I back up the truck and do 90% LTV, they'll give me a check at closing for...let's see...about $36,000.

The catch, of course, is being able to afford the monthly payments, right?

Advice on how much to take?

2Cor521
Old 01-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #80

Quote:
Advice on how much to take?

2Cor521
Anyone? Bueller?

2Cor521

Tags
mortgage