Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
We've also had the Capital One Quicksilver card (actually have had it longer than the Citi Double Cash card). It offers 1.5% cash back on all purchases, but didn't originally have virtual account numbers or text alerts (just email). They've since added text alerts and an online virtual account number software program for purchases (haven't used it, as Citi Double Cash Virtual Account Number program works well). AFAIK, believe it still covers things like foreign transaction fees (Citi Double Cash card never did), and rental cars, and retail purchases - https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/benefits/.

For us - looks like Quicksilver card will be seeing increased usage and become a more dominant companion card with the Citi Double Cash card benefits elimination.
Interesting... I'm also strongly considering using my Quicksilver card more often. I had been using the Citi DC card almost exclusively in recent years, except when traveling internationally. Starting next month, the QS card will be better than the Citi card in every way that matters other than the amount of cash back, which for me will only amount to a "loss" of roughly $40 in bonus cash per year once I start using the QS card more.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #22

Yes, I have been using the Citi DC a lot also, but will need to find a different option now. Fallback is my Fidelity Visa
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

My PenFed Power Cash Rewards Signature Visa has 2% cash back on all purchases. I am not sure if it has all those benefits you are losing, but it is a Visa Signature card, so it has quite a few niceties to it.

I know it at least has no foreign transaction fees, works with Apple Pay, has CDW for rental cars, I get a txt message when it has been used, and it has RFID.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It looks like they will still go to bat for you in a dispute over merchandise charged but not received. I had to use that a couple of times with small-business hobby vendors. They can be squirrelly, and that stuff is not cheap.

Recall that federal law provides the most they can get for a dispute is $50. (At least for fraud), so since a lot of bills are bigger this only makes sense Further a lot of cards eat the $50 because it is not worth it to do the exception billing.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #25

What happened with Chase card in Canada. They stopped issuing cards a year ago and then wrote off all the balances in July. What the heck was that all about.?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rs/1964419001/
My oldest card does not have any rewards anymore but it is so old I want to keep the account open. I joined PenFed but have not got a credit card from them. Not as great a program as some of you have. I must not be their preferred customer.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #26

I just looked at my account , an ATT universal holdover thatCiti now owns. They have me with 2 account numbers.
From a robo chat- They are switching from Visa to Mastercard. They whole thing is fubar'ed. With double charges and zero balance on one but charge moved to another number which I don't have. Time to shop a new card I guess.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #27

I really took advantage of the Price Rewind, Extended warranty and their trip insurance. I used the QS for car rental and my Bank of America card using 3% travel category. I have the Costco card but stop using it because you have to wait until the beginning of the following year to get your reward check which must be cashed at Costco.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
I sent them documentation to try and recover a $250 non-refundable hotel bill we had to cancel when my MIL had a heart attack. It has been over a month and haven't heard a thing from them, not even a "we received it" notice. It was a long shot anyway. At this point I doubt I'll ever get that money back.
I finally received a response for my claim from early July. The claim was denied because we didn't "cancel" the trip. We were two hours away from checking in when I called the hotel to say we were at the hospital and wouldn't be coming and asked for a refund. I'm not sure why that doesn't count as canceling, but whatever. I knew it was a long shot anyway and didn't expect to see that money again. At least I'm not waiting for a response anymore and with the benefits gone now it won't matter in the future. It was only $250, I'll consider it an unfortunate "stuff happens" event. I've already earned more than that in cash back rewards, so I still come out ahead.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote