Join Early Retirement Today

Most Citi DoubleCash card benefits disappearing
Old 08-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most Citi DoubleCash card benefits disappearing

I just happened to see this when logged into my Citi DoubleCash card account today:

Quote:
Effective September 22, 2019, Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance, Citi® Price Rewind, 90 Day Return Protection, Damage & Theft Purchase Protection, and Extended Warranty will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date.
Wow. That's almost every major benefit that the Citi DC card has, to my knowledge. The only ones remaining are free FICO score access and some sort of "identity theft protection". I'd give up both of those in a heartbeat if I could keep just the car rental insurance benefit.

Kind of shocking that Citi would drop so many benefits from this card all at once. I'll still continue to use it but definitely will be keeping an eye out for a better card.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yup.... the extended warranty is the one I value the most... time to start shopping around I guess.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, also very disappointed.

A lot of my other cards provide my FICO score.

A shame for me, since I would frequently buy things on amazon and use the Citi card (instead of my 5% amazon prime card), just to get the extended warranty protection.

I also made sure to charge my vacations on this card to get the travel protection.

First Vanguard drops the Advantage account, and now this.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I just happened to see this when logged into my Citi DoubleCash card account today:

Wow. That's almost every major benefit that the Citi DC card has, to my knowledge. The only ones remaining are free FICO score access and some sort of "identity theft protection". I'd give up both of those in a heartbeat if I could keep just the car rental insurance benefit.

Kind of shocking that Citi would drop so many benefits from this card all at once. I'll still continue to use it but definitely will be keeping an eye out for a better card.
We just booked a trip for late November using our Costco Citi card so still get the trip cancellation coverage, yay.

The benefits can't have cost much (i.e., we have never actually used any of them) but probably were a pain to administer. Maybe the car rental places are in cahoots with Citi to get that car rental insurance market back.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I thought that most *decent* cards offered extended warranty? At any rate, perhaps these are offerings that few people use. I personally cannot recall a time when I had to use any of the "extra" benefits. That isn't to say that they could be useful...I just haven't had a reason to use them.

USAA has a 2.5% card "Limitless Cash Back" that might still be available if you can qualify for membership.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Yep, I saw that too. I've never used any of these extra benefits until recently. I sent them documentation to try and recover a $250 non-refundable hotel bill we had to cancel when my MIL had a heart attack. It has been over a month and haven't heard a thing from them, not even a "we received it" notice. It was a long shot anyway. At this point I doubt I'll ever get that money back.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We just booked a trip for late November using our Costco Citi card so still get the trip cancellation coverage, yay.

The benefits can't have cost much (i.e., we have never actually used any of them) but probably were a pain to administer. Maybe the car rental places are in cahoots with Citi to get that car rental insurance market back.
Note that the announcement for the Citi card applies to the DoubleCash card and some other Citi cards, but not necessarily , to the Costco Citi card which at least at the time of the announcement thankfully still had the car rental insurance, among other things. I panicked when the announcement was made since we were renting a car but it turned out the coverage was still there but check for yourself to be sure.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #8

Could be a way to entice people to move to another Citi card. The Citi Costco card, AFAIK, still offers the best extended warranty, 2 years on top of any manufacturers and extended warranty.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Note that the announcement for the Citi card applies to the DoubleCash card and some other Citi cards, but not necessarily , to the Costco Citi card which at least at the time of the announcement thankfully still had the car rental insurance, among other things. I panicked when the announcement was made since we were renting a car but it turned out the coverage was still there but check for yourself to be sure.
I did before I booked our trip and learned from the card website that trip cancellation benefit was being.... cancelled. But yay to car rental insurance not being cancelled. More info re Costco Citi benefits:

Quote:
What changes are being made to my card benefits?
Effective September 22, 2019, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection and Citi® Price Rewind will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms.

What Protection Benefits will I still have on my card?
You will continue to have Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service, Travel & Emergency Assistance, Damage & Theft Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty on this account. You can view Your Guide to Protection Benefits on this site under "Quick Links". It contains complete coverage details, including coverage limits, what’s covered and what’s not covered.

Coverage details for these remaining benefits are not being changed.
As a cardmember, you will also continue to receive a range of other card benefits including FICO® Credit Score, Citi® Identity Theft Solutions, and Citi Entertainment.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

It looks like they will still go to bat for you in a dispute over merchandise charged but not received. I had to use that a couple of times with small-business hobby vendors. They can be squirrelly, and that stuff is not cheap.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Even the Costco Citi Visa is losing those benefits. Not so good.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Even the Costco Citi Visa is losing those benefits. Not so good.
Might be useful to specific what "those benefits" are. Citi Costco is retaining many of them.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Man, that's been my go to card for most purchases and travels. Anything else close to it, with a still a decent cash back?
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #14

Don't the credit card companies usually contract out those benefits? Maybe they decided that they'd chop off that recurring expense for a temporary boost in profits. The Citi people here should reflect elasticity and dump them.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:26 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'll probably keep them for a while and find another card with extended warranty benefits for major purchases.... that way I can bide my time... if I find somethig better then I'll dump Citi.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'll probably keep them for a while and find another card with extended warranty benefits for major purchases.... that way I can bide my time... if I find somethig better then I'll dump Citi.

Don't you have a Costco card?
Old 08-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

No, we were not Costco members until very recently so we don't have a Costco card.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Might be useful to specific what "those benefits" are. Citi Costco is retaining many of them.

Quote:
Effective September 22, 2019, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection and Citi® Price Rewind will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms.

We are making these changes so that we can continue providing the key benefits that our customers use and value most at no additional cost.
In my mind the Trip insurance is a key benefit.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
In my mind the Trip insurance is a key benefit.
Then you might check out Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve. In addition to travel, rental car coverage is as primary, so no need to file claim with your insurance company. Costs a few bucks a year, but sign up bonus more than covers and then the discount when using points for travel can also offset the annual fee.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've been using the Citi Double Cash card as our main card for years. It offers a few benefits that we've come to value - Virtual Account Number downloadable and cell phone app software program for online purchases and for recurring charges (cell phone, streaming services, etc.), email and text alerts of purchases as they happen, along with 2% cash back on all purchases (1% on charge and 1% on payment). We've not used the benefits that are going away for awhile, but not happy with their removal.

We've also had the Capital One Quicksilver card (actually have had it longer than the Citi Double Cash card). It offers 1.5% cash back on all purchases, but didn't originally have virtual account numbers or text alerts (just email). They've since added text alerts and an online virtual account number software program for purchases (haven't used it, as Citi Double Cash Virtual Account Number program works well). AFAIK, believe it still covers things like foreign transaction fees (Citi Double Cash card never did), and rental cars, and retail purchases - https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/benefits/.

For us - looks like Quicksilver card will be seeing increased usage and become a more dominant companion card with the Citi Double Cash card benefits elimination.

FYI - Citi Double Cash card issues same account number for main and secondary user. Capital One Quicksilver issues a separate number for secondary user (purchases show up on main number account separately). Citi does kill all users cards in fraud issues, but I believe this isn't necessary with Capital One Quicksilver card. We didn't have fraud/theft, but did have an unscrupulous retailer issue that Citi resolved by cancelling our cards (Kudos to them for resolving that issue).