Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #61

The OP is also long gone from here.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
He didn't present it as an opinion, he said there is only one option.
I saw that too but sometimes people have a tendency to do that when they're are sure about something but would like to see what others have to say about it. Still no reason to attack people just present your counter-argument and stay on topic or don't post (not saying it to you in particular, just others that had nothing to add to the topic). May be I'm getting old and see these things are childish but I know some people enjoy stirring things up then sit back and watch the drama unfold.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
I know some people enjoy stirring things up then sit back and watch the drama unfold.
Isn't that pretty much the definition of a troll?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Ah, hadn't noticed that he had "gone traveling". I may have had 3 fingers pointing back, but the one sticking out was in the right direction!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #65

Quote:
It is, but it wasn't the OP who created the drama. He posted something specific to what is usually discussed here. Then someone chimed in calling him a troll, then more dogpiled on that. Even though several respectable members offered good arguments and viewpoints that I was enjoying reading like pubuski, Haha, Imoldernu et al but folks with too much time on their hands just kept on with the useless attacking. This is becoming more and more common around here by certain specific people, they are the trolls in my opinion.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is, but it wasn't the OP who created the drama. He posted something specific to what is usually discussed here. Then someone chimed in calling him a troll, then more dogpiled on that. Even though several respectable members offered good arguments and viewpoints that I was enjoying reading like pubuski, Haha, Imoldernu et al but folks with too much time on their hands just kept on with the useless attacking. This is becoming more and more common around here by certain specific people, they are the trolls in my opinion.
I have to disagree with you on this. The OP is/was the source of the problem.

Although I didn't participate on this thread, I've been watching it with interest. The "gone traveling" OP's first post on the forum did seem both odd as to subject matter plus familiar to me and obviously to others as well. RunningBum nailed it when he identified the OP as a previously banned member here: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1879873.

Drama or not, once banned for trolling there is no means of re-entry.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I have to disagree with you on this. The OP is/was the source of the problem.
OK, may be I missed it then, what problem did he create?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #68

Quote:
Looks like he was banned (probably for trolling?) last year. See the linked thread above and maybe reading it will shed some light - or not, depending on how many of his posts the mods deleted.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Looks like he was banned (probably for trolling?) last year. See the linked thread above and maybe reading it will shed some light - or not, depending on how many of his posts the mods deleted.
I saw a healthy discussion of the pros/cons in both threads. Anyway, I'm done here, just don't enjoy seeing people making things personal and attacking the posters- enjoy your afternoon
Old 05-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IMO, presenting misleading information, specifically, stating that there is only one option. There is nothing to be gained by someone coming on here with a tone of expertise and declaring that their way is the only way.

That wouldn't have gotten him banned. I don't think speculating on the reasons is permitted here, but if you look at the OP of the other thread I looked at, you'll see that the person created a lot of drama with fabricated stories. Again, that serves no good purpose.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #71

Quote:
I saw a healthy discussion of the pros/cons in both threads.
What we see is what remains after the mods sent in the clean-up crew to decontaminate the thread. The posts that got the OP (in his first incarnation) banned were almost certainly deleted.

You have a nice day, too.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
++++
Old 05-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #73
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Early SS, aka Forced to Retire, spontaneously appeared on this forum last year with a very convincing tale of financial woe that garnered hundreds of compassionate, well reasoned and thoughtful responses, all of which he steadfastly resisted. It was eventually discovered that he had used this same story on another website with similar effect. About this time, all of his problems vanished as a wealthy aunt, whose money he and his brother had often dreamed about, passed away, leaving him a million dollars. Now, with a perpetual smile on his face and a spring in his step (his words, not mine) he announced he was 'gone travelin'. That's the problem he created. And If calling out a new incarnation of a previously banned poster is considered a personal attack and piling on, then guilty as charged.
frankbrenowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:04 AM   #74

Somebody who doesn't do early retirement well. They are bored.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbrenowitz View Post
Early SS, aka Forced to Retire, spontaneously appeared on this forum last year with a very convincing tale of financial woe that garnered hundreds of compassionate, well reasoned and thoughtful responses, all of which he steadfastly resisted. It was eventually discovered that he had used this same story on another website with similar effect. About this time, all of his problems vanished as a wealthy aunt, whose money he and his brother had often dreamed about, passed away, leaving him a million dollars. Now, with a perpetual smile on his face and a spring in his step (his words, not mine) he announced he was 'gone travelin'. That's the problem he created. And If calling out a new incarnation of a previously banned poster is considered a personal attack and piling on, then guilty as charged.
As I understand it, "gone travelin'" means he's been banned.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #76

Now I'm wondering what would he gain from making a statement like that on multiple websites. It's not like he's saying 'hey everyone go buy AMZN or KO or XYZ'?
Old 05-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #77

Quote:
Now I'm wondering what would he gain from making a statement like that on multiple websites.
The gratification such personalities derive from the attention their method of posting receives. They enjoy pushing buttons and watching the results. It doesn't exactly create a beneficial learning environment for forum members.

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He's gone traveling (again).... hopefully long gone and never to be seen again.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #79
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
Statistically, "most" people DO start collecting social security before their full retirement age:

https://www.fool.com/retirement/gene...ecting-so.aspx

That said, I'm only estimating a 5% return on my IRA. If it performs better over the next six years we'll have a larger balance that may allow us to delay SS for a year or two. If not, we'll start SS at 62.
Call me conservative, but I think the bigger risk is that your return will be <5%.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #80
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
my theory is take it as soon as possible .ill never get back the $226,000 me and my employer paid in
Yes, but taking it at what age gets you the most back?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote