Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Watching our favorite local band at a fun restaurant where we can get great appetizers (g-free) and good wine for about $40.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Driving through the foothills into the Rockies(Kananaskis) and eating lunch beside a glacier fed stream. Perhaps even seeing some wildlife. The lighting and the scenery is different each time.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #23

A couple of racks of baby back ribs. My local supermarket has better, meatier ribs than any local butcher, so I indulge more often than I otherwise might.
After six hours or so in the Big Green Egg, it's pure bliss for 2-3 days.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
At home or Bring Your Own Bottle place....... but that does not matter.....you got a point and plus and minus 20 bucks does not matter for a sake of argument.

I live in very expensive Boston area and I am 100% sure 60 bucks will be more the enough. So 40 bucks will cover most of US.
I can't think of anyplace in my region of the Chicago burbs where DW and I could go out and have a nice bottle of wine plus two enjoyable entrees plus tip for $40.

A BYO restaurant would help as you could then hold down the cost of the wine to $10.

Dining at home...... Then's it easy to slip in under $40. But we do that most every night......
Old 11-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For me its music or books. I'm happy to while away the time listening to a new album. Of course, the stereo I built to listen to that music cost WAY more than $40.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Stealing away from the kids, housew*rk, co-workers, clients, etc. and having a mani/pedicure while reading my kindle. In peace.

That is $35 well spent, IMO. Not all the time, just a nice treat every once in awhile!
Live Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Certainly can't do it around these parts. Heck, 2 burgers, a beer, 2 salad bars (small plates!), and an iced tea at the local Ruby Tuesday's is $35.00 with tax and tip (with a coupon), and the food isn't very good. We go there sometimes because it's close, and the servers are nice to us.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I can't think of anyplace in my region of the Chicago burbs where DW and I could go out and have a nice bottle of wine plus two enjoyable entrees plus tip for $40.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Community Concert tickets are under $70 for 5 shows. It almost always is great entertainment for little money. I also like season tickets to the community theater for about the same price.
Rushmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I was feeling a bit gloomy- ugly grey weather, DH drooping because of a very bad cold, cleaning out DS' old room and realizing how much we spent on Stuff (mostly video games) that's worthless now. I thought a lot about what would provide a little pick-me-up and decided to head for Whole Foods after my workout. The workout helped a lot, and then I picked up some stuffed grape leaves, quinoa salad and brussels sprouts and kale salad. I spent $10.60.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

A cruise around the bay in my boat on a calm sunny day, rum and coke in hand, and the motor purring. At 3 miles/per gallon on a 24 mile cruise=8gallonsX$4.00per gallon=$32+rum and coke=approx $40. I drink alot on that cruise.
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

OK! We made the "$40 challenge" happen last night and had a great time!

Here's what we did:

1. Won tickets (face value $55 each) to see now-very-mature folkie Judy Collins at a great venue called the Genesee Theatre. Cost = zero.

2. Had dinner before the show and local to the theatre so we were able to find on street parking. Parking cost = zero.

3. Used a restaurant.com coupon to get a $25 discount for a very decent dinner at a Mexican restaurant down the street from the theatre. 2 margueritas + 2 draft Modello Negros + 2 shrimp based entrees = $53. $53 - $25 coupon + tax = $32. Gave the wait person two twenties to cover the bill and tip (15% of the pre-coupon amount) exactly meeting the $40 goal.

Caveat emptor. We put about 90 miles on the car and I'm not counting that expense. To stay within $40 I had to win $110 worth of tickets which might not happen everyday! (Thank you local public radio station!) The waitress got slightly short changed when I left only a 15% tip to stay within the $40 budget.

Oh, Judy Collins at 74 yo is still singing and playing well and focused on her most famous and popular work from the 60's. It was a real trip down nostalgia lane! That's what we wanted. The audience was made up of several hundred like-minded geezers enjoying the music and reminiscing about the 60's. Many seemed to be "pot smoking hippie turned CPA" types........
Old 11-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Certainly can't do it around these parts. Heck, 2 burgers, a beer, 2 salad bars (small plates!), and an iced tea at the local Ruby Tuesday's is $35.00 with tax and tip (with a coupon), and the food isn't very good.
That's about what it would be here too. DW collects Ruby Tuesday's coupons and then wants to use them. The food is okay though. Not great, but okay. I usually just get the salad bar, no dressing on the salad.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
A bottle of Evan Williams and a good book and I'll stay on the porch all day.
Just don't try to get off the porch. The trauma bill will blow your $40 to smithereens.

Ha
Old 11-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #34

Cover charge, $10
2 beers, $14
1 lap dance, $10

A great hour...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
My favorite restaurant to celebrate with my husband is Barbarella's in La Jolla They have a great menu but we always order the same 3 things - and split them. Fritti (usually lightly battered shrimp and green beans or asparagus... with an awesome olio to dip in. But sometimes the seafood may be calimari, or something else... and the green bean can be almost any long skinny green veggie) Pizza Max - a thin crust brick oven pizza with creme fraiche, thin salmon (like lox) and roasted capers. Chocolate tort with homemade banana ice cream We split these items and it's *just* the right amount of food. Sometimes we'll order wine or a martini - but that blows the $40 budget. It's a nice, but casual place that we really enjoy.
Try Solace And The Moonlight Lounge in Encinitas, maybe over $40 but worth it.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:44 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Switch the wine to two diet cokes and have our dinner at either of our two favorite Mexican restaurants and we can do it for twenty bucks....plus tip. Or, two diet cokes and a pizza.....$16.00 ......no tip since it's a serve yourself. We really love mexican food and pizza.....do both every couple of weeks.......wine only when having dinner with friends.....then we will always spend more than $40.00 bucks.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I got 1750+ happy hours of entertainment so far from one video game cartridge that cost $39.97. That's about 2 cents an hour for lot and lots of great, wholesome fun.

Not only that, I'm nowhere near done with that game or with my enthusiasm for it.

Of course, my video gaming has cost me much more than that overall. But this one game was a great way to spend $40.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

We went out for a lunch special at our favorite Thai restaurant (soup, salad, brown rice and an entree) on the weekend with a buy one got one free Entertainment.com coupon I got from Verizon rewards. We drank water, which is what we drink at home. We paid for one meal for $10, one was free, plus tax and I left a $5 tip. We ate out for two for $16 and it is was so much food I didn't eat much more at home the whole day, so the net cost to go out isn't much more than if we'd stayed home and had to cook and do our own dishes.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I got 1750+ happy hours of entertainment so far from one video game cartridge that cost $39.97. That's about 2 cents an hour for lot and lots of great, wholesome fun.

Not only that, I'm nowhere near done with that game or with my enthusiasm for it.

Of course, my video gaming has cost me much more than that overall. But this one game was a great way to spend $40.
This is why I don't get the whole spend money on experiences not things. Things that lead to fun like video games, camping equipment and bikes seem to me to be great values per use.

I bought a $3 vase at a charity thrift shop down the street from stores like Neiman Marcus. They have really pretty things and I don't care if items like a glass vase are used or not. I think people must drop off their donations near where they shop. I keep the vase on the windowsill in the kitchen and put cut flowers like fresh lavender from the yard in it. I enjoy the flowers and the vase every day. The $3 stayed in the local economy and went to an animal charity.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
This is why I don't get the whole spend money on experiences not things. ...
Agreed, I tend to buy 'things' for the experiences they provide. Seems like an odd distinction to me.

I suppose maybe some people buy 'things' just to brag 'I have that thing' - so what? Maybe they get something from that 'experience'? Who am I to judge? Buy whatever floats your boat. Of course, if ER is your goal, you probably need to consider the value of each purchase carefully.

So here's a 'thing' that cost under $40, and has provided many hours of joy:

SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Black) (when I bought mine, they were 2GB at about this price)

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-...=1416244868661

Great sound quality - I just plug it into my amp with good speakers on the porch, or use with high quality headphones for private listening. Incredible performance at a low price. Oh, I did buy a cheap 8GB u-SD card to expand the storage, but I think you can still keep that under $40. And it will play the FLAC lossless format. I use a computer and external DAC for real serious listening, but this thing is nice for everything else. It is a near-miracle they can pack all this in a sub $40 device.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote