Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I am in complete agreement on the kids. Mine are 25 and 26. If this continues until they are 29 and 30, I definitely won't have to worry about too much money!
Ugh, I might have been misunderstood.

I do not spend money on my kids anymore. I manage to find ways to spend money on ourselves to make up for lack of tuition.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Moules frites!
I don't know what you think about this as you also cook, but the moules are easy to do at home. The frites take a bit more work.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ah, the joy of stock collection, even though they are now just some symbols and no longer come with a paper certificate.

I do not have earned income anymore, and to buy something I must first sell something else. Stock buying is no longer a single decision, but two; sell first then buy. So, it is tougher and slows my trading down quite a bit.

Those nasty little HSA and Roth accounts create all sorts of tax free mischief for me. Unfortunately some of it spilled over into my regular accounts.. Gonna have to sharpen my pencil tax time for those nasty little short term cap gains. That had been the nice thing about being a preferred stock trader. On a spike you can flip out of one utility preferred and just buy one from a similar quality ute, no harm and increase the kitty doing it. But its grinding to a halt quickly. And now I am facing same problem as you. They all have been bid up. Afraid to sell for fear I cant get back in without paying even more.
I kind of miss those old stock certificates....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I kind of miss those old stock certificates....
Do ya?

I have a couple of stock certificates somewhere in my file cabinet of the private companies that I exchanged my labor for. The companies are long defunct, but as they never went public, that makes them rarer and possibly worth more?

Some day, I will frame them and use them as conversation pieces to tell people what a fool I was.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stock certificates should still be available if the issue wasn't issued as book entry only originally. It is just expensive and a pain to get them.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do ya?

I have a couple of stock certificates somewhere in my file cabinet of the private companies that I exchanged my labor for. The companies are long defunct, but as they never went public, that makes them rarer and possibly worth more?

Some day, I will frame them and use them as conversation pieces to tell people what a fool I was.

The process behind all of it? Heck No! I just meant being able to physically see and touch them, that part only....A few had some nice detailed print work. But definitely I prefer the "street name" online ownership convenience.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

I have a worthless stock cert, Transamerica Duval.

I'm gonna use it to light up a cigar!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Stock certificates should still be available if the issue wasn't issued as book entry only originally. It is just expensive and a pain to get them.
I thought they were being phased out. My knowledge is dated to about Y2K. I was employed by a stock transfer agent back then. Foolishly a
I didn't deny having knowledge of certificate printing. I used to get calls on why some developers code didn't work in production that I knew nothing about. I was always promised that crap(certificate printing) was going away. My phone eventually quit ringing so I assume that was true.

Of course it could have been they got rid of the id10ts that tried to alter perfection and no one else was foolish enough to attemt to.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I have a worthless stock cert, Transamerica Duval.

I'm gonna use it to light up a cigar!

I used to have one too. Crystal Oil Company.. Dont know if its down in an old box or pitched years ago.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:30 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Oh they all look so sweet eh? All with nice engraved printing like currency on stiff parchment.

Poof, up in smoke -
Old 07-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I thought they were being phased out. My knowledge is dated to about Y2K. I was employed by a stock transfer agent back then. Foolishly a
I didn't deny having knowledge of certificate printing. I used to get calls on why some developers code didn't work in production that I knew nothing about. I was always promised that crap(certificate printing) was going away. My phone eventually quit ringing so I assume that was true.

Of course it could have been they got rid of the id10ts that tried to alter perfection and no one else was foolish enough to attemt to.
Wall Street has been trying to get rid of paper certs for years. The problem is state laws need to be changed for it to happen fully.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:18 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
The process behind all of it? Heck No! I just meant being able to physically see and touch them, that part only....A few had some nice detailed print work...
That's what I meant. At least you still have some evidence you once owned something.

Nowadays, what you do have? With paperless accounts, you only can download a pdf statement showing you put that much money into a sucker that once was going to be the next Microsoft, or Google, or whatever. Then, you have to print it out on your own printer. Not too artistic, nor romantic.

We used to exchange paper money for paper stock certificates that turned worthless. Now, we exchange a number on a checking account for another number on a brokerage account. Then, eventually the brokerage deleted that number. Nothing is real anymore. Heck, we could be all in a matrix.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:00 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's what I meant. At least you still have some evidence you once owned something.

Nowadays, what you do have? With paperless accounts, you only can download a pdf statement showing you put that much money into a sucker that once was going to be the next Microsoft, or Google, or whatever. Then, you have to print it out on your own printer. Not too artistic, nor romantic.

We used to exchange paper money for paper stock certificates that turned worthless. Now, we exchange a number on a checking account for another number on a brokerage account. Then, eventually the brokerage deleted that number. Nothing is real anymore. Heck, we could be all in a matrix.

The first time I ever bought a stock online, I certainly felt those thoughts, and worse. I just knew I was going to get screwed out of my dividends.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:02 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Wall Street has been trying to get rid of paper certs for years. The problem is state laws need to be changed for it to happen fully.

I thought I had heard you could still get them. Of course I am past that point now where I would need them. But I do need to print my quarterly statements to prove I do own something....Though I suppose that really isn't proof anyways either.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Oh they all look so sweet eh? All with nice engraved printing like currency on stiff parchment.

Poof, up in smoke -
The paper might be a little heavy to use as rolling paper?
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:06 PM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
The paper might be a little heavy to use as rolling paper?
Don't we all vape now?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know what you think about this as you also cook, but the moules are easy to do at home. The frites take a bit more work.
Moules frites is the national dish of Belgium. We were lucky enough to visit Belgium at the end of September where they were serving the new season mussels from Zealand. Fabulous!

I don't like cleaning mussels - I think that is far too much work.

Here Costco sells the wonderful Penn Cove mussels from Whidbey Island Washington. Which, IMO, are the best you can get in the US. But I still can't get past the cleaning hassle.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Moules frites is the national dish of Belgium...
... and they have so many different wonderful beers to go with it.

I do not think it is that hard to clean the Costco mussels. Time for me to make the dish again.

By the way, walking around a dining quarter in Brussels where people eat outdoors, I observed that paella was a very popular dish there.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #119

Quote:
Another way to look at it is that money represents options. What can you do with money?

"They say money isn't everything, but look how many things it is" -- Anon.

The moment you spend it, you have just that one good, but all the other options are lost. That is why people like to keep money.

It's also why I keep posting that quote by Mignon McLaughlin. When she said that "Money is much more exciting than anything it buys", I think she meant that money represents all the options one can think of. It can be a car, a boat, a plane, a home. Once you spend it to buy a boat, the possibility of it turning into a plane is gone.

If you do not spend money, you can think of all the things money can be, and that can be enough for some people to be happy.
Or my mother's saying "money is like manure, you have to spread it around to do some good". Which for her was shopping and buying way too much stuff. Good thing my father had a nice pension so that eased the reduction in retirement savings. She did a pretty good job of drawing down the 403b though. Both my mother and father are gone now, and I do not subscribe to mom's spread money around theory much.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

I like your Ma -

In other words, "a bag of crap is just a bag of crap until you use it to make things grow"

Wonderful woman -

Tags
retirement spending