Join Early Retirement Today

Move Variable Annuity funds to IRA?
Old 03-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Move Variable Annuity funds to IRA?

A friend of mine was sold a Variable Annutiy (Yes, don't say it. I know.) over ten years ago and now would like to move the money out of it into an IRA account with an company like Fidelity or Schwab. The VA is over ten years old and should not have any withdrawal fees.

He has very little income at this point, mainly interest from savings. He lives off of withdrawals from past savings and is waiting to take SS at 70. So far so good.

However, we are concerned that taking all the VA money out at once will trigger a big tax bite. Thus, the idea is to move it to a regular IRA and keep it tax sheltered for a while longer, taking money out in small chunks every year.

Are there any gotchas or traps in doing the move from the VA to and IRA that he should know about? I know little about VA's except to avoid them.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #2

Not all VA's are the same. Vanguard offers VA's that simply wrap their mutuals fund in the insurance product. It bumps the expense ratio a little bit, but not horrifically.

That being said, "your friend" can transfer the VA from one company to another with zero tax consequences.

When funds are removed from a VA (not transferred to another VA), you pay ordinary income on the gains. The gains must come out first. So you need to "un-bury" your principle. But once you uncover it, it comes out without being taxed. At least presuming it was taxed before it went it, which, I think, is the way these things work.

Once the money is out of the VA, you can do with it whatever you want, subject to the limitations of whatever you want to invest it in (tIRA, Roth, etc all have limitations).
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the first thing to do is to verify if the VA is qualified (funded with pre-taxed dollars) or funded with after tax dollars (more typical for a VA)? If qualified it should be possible to transfer it to a traditional IRA but if it was funded with after tax dollars probably not.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Your friend should get strategy advice from a CPA, not SGOTI.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Great ideas. Thanks.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Your friend should get strategy advice from a CPA, not SGOTI.
+1000 That's why I'm an old school investor. If you need to ask about it you shouldn't be in it.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #7

One mustn't confuse SGOTI with the centuries of wisdom you get from the er forum crowd, lol!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
One mustn't confuse SGOTI with the centuries of wisdom you get from the er forum crowd, lol!
Not to mention the humility!
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
variable annuity ira