Join Early Retirement Today

Moved 401K to Fidelity from Megacorp
Old 03-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Moved 401K to Fidelity from Megacorp

Just pulled chocks at Megacorp.

Intent was to exit the limited alternatives at Megacorp (btw - their cost was almost as good as lowest at Fido and Vanguard), go to cash, and then build stock/bonds portfolio from Fidelity's funds. (I have both IRA and Roth IRA at Fido)

I have a Fido rep and we have been meeting on phone/online every other week since I quit work. I have asked him to develop a plan to dollar cost average back into stock and bond funds based on our recent discussions - that we could execute on down stock market days. (not really market timing? :-))

I have retirement income from military and Megacorp so I can be a bit more aggressive than the usual recommendation for 63 yo ... spouse is same age.

What mix and specific funds would you recommend given my circumstances ... I'll provide the Fido Rep (good guy, I think) recommended process, mix and funds back to the group when I get them from him.

Thoughts? Thanks!!
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You should have an asset allocation goal (x% stocks / Y % bonds). I prefer a simple portfolio of a total stock index and a total bond index fund. Fido has their own equivalent low cost funds.

Examples:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #3

Yep - that is where I am going - WHICH funds at what percentages stock and bond is the real question, I guess.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My 401k is at Fido and I've been looking at equity index ETFs for the Fido Roth and tIRA. IVV and ONEQ

Are you keeping everything deferred via rollover?
Old 03-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

You're going to have a hard time finding anyone to give you specific financial advice. Everyone has different needs and goals when it comes to investing.
Many think that at your age you've made your money. Now it comes to protecting your assets rather than being too aggressive playing the market directly or indirectly through Fidelity--or other like companies.
Many people are going into a number of ETF's as a way to diversify. Where a mutual fund might charge .75 basis points admin. fees, you might be paying .11 basis points with ETF's. Fidelity has a full lineup of ETF's--both their funds and other popular companies' ETF's like IShares.
In my retirement, I really don't want to think about the stock market or doing much more than rebalancing my portfolio every year or so.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I moved my 401K from MegaCorp to Fidelity last year. And they paid me $1200 to do so, thank you very much. I am using FUSVX and FSTVX for the Stock allocation.

I have a small position in the Total Bond Fund FSITX, just to track it's performance. But that Fund has done nothing since December. Be very careful with the Bond portion of you allocation in this rising rate environment. If you're DCA, you can probably buy on the dips. But I don't believe it provides quite the same cushion that Jack Bogle envisioned back in the Bond Market Bull Run.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Yep - that is where I am going - WHICH funds at what percentages stock and bond is the real question, I guess.
One's asset allocation is a very personal decision. I have a pension that covers my expenses, so SS and my portfolio is gravy for now. That makes me comfortable with a 70% stocks portfolio. The link I included gives some parameters for making your allocation decision.

Re which funds, a total world stock index fund and a total US bonds index fund would do for me.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #8

You could do a lot worse than basing a portfolio off one of the "Lazy Portfolios" at Invest Simple with Lazy Portfolios - MarketWatch.com. Look through them and consider which seems amenable and then adjust the percentages as needed. Several posters have linked a site with a Total Portfolio data for these and other portfolios; unfortunately, I don't know the link although the site gives you further performance information for these and quite a few other portfolios. (Sorry I don't have the link.)

For example, the Yale/Swenson I believe only uses 5 or 6 funds. But the version on Marketwatch is 50% stocks; I (myself) would increase the stock allocation to 60-65% since that is my overall stock allocation. These portfolios are really easy to rebalance once a year and portfolio costs are minimal.

I used a version of these (but much higher in stock allocation) until the last 10 years when the portfolio amount went so far up I wanted more diversification--but I'm not sure I really did alot better, at least in risk-adjusted returns. In absolute % return terms, yes, mainly to the increased stock allocation.

I just rolled over DW's 401k at a former employer to a Fidelity brokerage and am considering a version of one of these portfolios, to pretty much keep it on auto-pilot. However, it's about 1/3 of our total investment portfolio, so I have to do some refiguring for overall portfolio balance. Right now I'm looking at the bond options; her two core stock mutuals rolled over directly yesterday.

Edit: here is the Portfolio site I mentioned (but other posters in other threads alerted me to it):
https://portfoliocharts.com/portfoli...sen-portfolio/
Good luck!

Quote:
Just pulled chocks at Megacorp.

Intent was to exit the limited alternatives at Megacorp (btw - their cost was almost as good as lowest at Fido and Vanguard), go to cash, and then build stock/bonds portfolio from Fidelity's funds. (I have both IRA and Roth IRA at Fido)

I have a Fido rep and we have been meeting on phone/online every other week since I quit work. I have asked him to develop a plan to dollar cost average back into stock and bond funds based on our recent discussions - that we could execute on down stock market days. (not really market timing? :-))

I have retirement income from military and Megacorp so I can be a bit more aggressive than the usual recommendation for 63 yo ... spouse is same age.

What mix and specific funds would you recommend given my circumstances ... I'll provide the Fido Rep (good guy, I think) recommended process, mix and funds back to the group when I get them from him.

Thoughts? Thanks!!
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thoughts? Thanks!!
Look for asset allocation tools. You may need to log in to get more detailed advice. Here is Vanguard's basic chart for AA.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...io-allocations
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:27 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Look for asset allocation tools. You may need to log in to get more detailed advice. Here is Vanguard's basic chart for AA.

There are some great tools at Fido to help create your AA.
Start here https://www.fidelity.com/investment-guidance/overview
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #11

I have SPY, FSTVX, VTI, and RSP as most of my equity position which is about 60/40. The 40 is mostly individual corporate and muni bonds around BBB rating.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
There are some great tools at Fido to help create your AA.
Start here https://www.fidelity.com/investment-guidance/overview
Couldn't find much as there is locked content.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:34 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post

There are a series of four investing principal pages I keep in my bookmarks.
Here is #2:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...uth-about-risk

Goals, Balance, Cost, Discipline. Even though this is from Vanguard, it still applies to any institution you choose to work with.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #14

Hi All,

Sorry so long to get back to this thread - overwhelmed a bit ...moved, remodeling, thinking of moving again, etc ....and, I really need another boat!

Had another discussion with Fidelity advisor today - have had several thus far with him - trying to work through financials one step at a time. I think he is trying to make fair recommendations and clearly knows a zillion times more than I do :-) I will get smarter!!

Today we discussed broad portfolio allocations down into options for fund/ETFs ... I have pension income, so we settled on IRA 70/30, RIRA 80/20 and taxable 70/30 (need discussion on tax efficiency):
- IRA (mainly mutual funds)- 70% equity (55% total Domestic split 75% in Large Cap (FUSVX) and 25% in Mid/Small Cap (FSCKA), 15% Intl (TBD)), 30% bond (5% FRIFX, 5% ACITX, 5% FFRHX and 15% FCOR)
- Roth IRA (mainly mutual funds) - 80/20 (60% Domestic, 20% Intl) - same general sub allocations
- Taxable (mainly ETFs) -70/30 (55% Domestic, 15% Intl - further discussion on tax efficiency) and bonds (either iShares MUB or BMO Intermediate Tax Free MITFX ... we have to decide which of the too many equity funds we opened over the years should be sold and then position after that - tax basis will drive much of the discussion. Once that is sorted, I can start piecing the bits together within the allocation framework.

I still have a lot to do and much to learn - would appreciate your thoughts on the above ...