Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2017, 12:57 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I'm going to carefully estimate my AGI and do a Roth conversion up to close to the FAFSA auto zero EFC AGI limit because I have a junior in high school who will be completing the FAFSA next October 1st using my 2017 tax information.(*)

(*) As discussed elsewhere, I was planning to Roth convert to that limit anyway, it is just the precision AGI estimation and staying below the cliff parts that are new. If the tax bill had not passed, I would have overconverted by a lot and then recharacterized once I got all my tax information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck_Club View Post
Wouldn't the conversion make more sense after your son is done with College? Any converted dollars become "available" as income. CSS profile schools will love you if you make that conversion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Possibly. I plan to make the conversion anyway, all things being considered.

Not to get into the whole thing here, feel free to PM more questions or ask for more details, but:

1. My kids are generally considering FAFSA schools and not CSS profile schools.
2. Even with the conversion my income will be quite low.
3. There is official guidance that financial aid officers are expected to adjust for Roth conversions because, although they generally increase AGI, they generally are not available to be spent on college costs, at least for FAFSA purposes. I don't know much about CSS profile and how it works in this regard.
4. I kinda need the money to live on five or six years from now since I am retired and the conversion this year is part of my Roth pipeline.

Hope that helps explain.
Well I, for one, am EXTREMELY interested in what you have to say about this, so I hope your dialog doesn't disappear into PMs. Perhaps you could post it my thread
"Kids in college after retirement (lower income version)"
Kids in college after retirement (lower income version)

43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43210 View Post
Well I, for one, am EXTREMELY interested in what you have to say about this, so I hope your dialog doesn't disappear into PMs. Perhaps you could post it my thread
"Kids in college after retirement (lower income version)"
Kids in college after retirement (lower income version)
Replied on your thread.

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I always pay my real estate taxes early. The county discounts the bill 4% if paid by early December.
That's generous! We only get a 2.5% discount if paid by October 1st. (Or is it September? I forget at the moment.)
Old 12-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's generous! We only get a 2.5% discount if paid by October 1st. (Or is it September? I forget at the moment.)
Anyone who gets a carrot should consider themselves fortunate. We only get a stick in our county - a 7% penalty if not paid by the end of Jan.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #85

Might some of the moves be from high tax states?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:09 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know Illinois has been losing population, having recently dropped from 5th highest population to sixth. I personally moved (changed primary residence) from relatively high tax MD to lower tax FL. And there may be a fair amount of that kind of high earner "move" over the next few years. But I doubt the majority of people, especially those who already don't itemize, will move.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I know Illinois has been losing population, having recently dropped from 5th highest population to sixth. I personally moved (changed primary residence) from relatively high tax MD to lower tax FL. And there may be a fair amount of that kind of high earner "move" over the next few years. But I doubt the majority of people, especially those who already don't itemize, will move.
Yep, I left the Land of Lincoln a couple years ago. A epic mess in the state finances, taxes going to get worse, or services going to get slashed, before it gets better. I don't know how many "high earners" will move though, they are living there for some reason which isn't the weather or low taxes. Other "big cities" in a tax bind as well, so it's just pick your poison. And those "high earners" will find a way to deduct their SALT taxes one way or another.
bobandsherry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Might some of the moves be from high tax states?
Some may be, although it seems like there are a lot of factors to weigh in the "where to live after retirement" question.

If family and friends are in the higher tax state, sometimes people decide to stay.

Also climate is important to some people, and some prefer locations with a good airport and lots of things to do even if the taxes are higher.

Some prefer a lower overall COL to low taxes, not caring where their money is going as long as living there is less expensive.

The question is endlessly fascinating and to me, it does not seem at all simple.
100% retired since 2009 and never plan to work for anybody ever again, paid or not. Retirement funded by Social Security, mini-pension, and investments (AA 45:55, mostly Vanguard). Debt free with no mortgage and over-the-moon happy to be retired.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:51 PM   #89

I live in a high cost state... but don't have enough deductions to group... standard deduction for me. Price of having a paid off house I guess.

No major changes for me. Might consider increasing Roths once I understand the FAFSA impact (I have a Jr and Freshman in high school).
Old 12-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
uy understanding is that without future income tax law changes, rates will return to 2017 rates, not higher. But without further changes, effective rates will be somewhat/a bit higher for those that itemize due to reduced deductions. But in 2008, did I have any idea what 2018 rates would be?
If you can remember, the "Bush tax" cuts passed in 2001, had to be voted on again in 2010, to pass the Byrd rule. Same thing applies to this legislation. Unless ratified again in 2027, the law passed last week will expire then, and the present rates will resurface.

What I find inflammatory, is the local news media here reporting that the "new tax law will raise your taxes in 2027".
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:11 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Beginning in 2018 we will no longer itemize. Not much I can change other than moving and I'm not going to do that. I'll still contribute what we normally do even though we will get no tax benefit.

I could pay off the mortgage but with a 3.375% rate I'm earning much more than that from my investments.

So at the end of the day... no change other than I'll refine our taxes more since Roth recharacterizations will not be allowed for the 2018 tax year.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:46 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Taxes are hard to understand....for the rest of us
Old 12-24-2017, 06:56 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Beginning in 2018 we will no longer itemize. Not much I can change other than moving and I'm not going to do that. I'll still contribute what we normally do even though we will get no tax benefit.

I could pay off the mortgage but with a 3.375% rate I'm earning much more than that from my investments.

So at the end of the day... no change other than I'll refine our taxes more since Roth recharacterizations will not be allowed for the 2018 tax year.
This is pretty much it for us too. I'll still run through the itemization since we'll be close to the limit, but unless it's an unusual year (like most of them have been), we'll just take the standard deduction. Keeping the mortgage too. And hopefully coming out a bit ahead on the Roth conversions due to 12% instead of 15%. I'll know more in April of 2019.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Anyone who gets a carrot should consider themselves fortunate. We only get a stick in our county - a 7% penalty if not paid by the end of Jan.

We get to pay half by Sept 30 and the rest by year end. The stick is $50/mo late fee.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Yep, I left the Land of Lincoln a couple years ago. A epic mess in the state finances, taxes going to get worse, or services going to get slashed, before it gets better. I don't know how many "high earners" will move though, they are living there for some reason which isn't the weather or low taxes. Other "big cities" in a tax bind as well, so it's just pick your poison. And those "high earners" will find a way to deduct their SALT taxes one way or another.
The one good (but maybe not good enough) reason to stay in IL is that retirement income isn't taxed by the state.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
The one good (but maybe not good enough) reason to stay in IL is that retirement income isn't taxed by the state.
Yet.

After the bankruptcy, things will be different.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
Ironically, the reason for IL to be in such dire straits is they have a significantly underfunded retirement fund for their teacher and state employee pensions.

According to this article, the retirement income exemption is costing Illinois $2.7 billion, that's a big target.
bobandsherry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

My tax bracket going down but state taxes + property taxes limit of 10K evens out the gains.

Sent extra $$ to pre-pay 2018 Property Taxes, Increased 401k/Roth401k contributions.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We’ve made large donations to our DAF over the past two years (2016, 2017) due to unwinding a long held stock position. It frontloads our DAF with about 10 years worth of donations.
I would like to hear from the forum:

So if we already have a Donor Advised Fund, can I transfer some $ from my Solo 401-k to the DAF before the end of the year and get a 2017 charitable deduction? They are both at the same firm, so they should be able to do it quickly...

Funny, TurboTax calls it a Donor Advice Fund.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
I would like to hear from the forum:

So if we already have a Donor Advised Fund, can I transfer some $ from my Solo 401-k to the DAF before the end of the year and get a 2017 charitable deduction? They are both at the same firm, so they should be able to do it quickly...

Funny, TurboTax calls it a Donor Advice Fund.
I don’t think you can donate from a 401K directly to a DAF. You can withdraw the taxable income from the 401K and then donate the proceeds to a DAF, and get a charitable deduction.

To get the most tax benefit for charitable donations to a DAF, donate appreciated securities. But time is running out....