Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #101
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Interested in year end moves due to passage.
There's nothing for us to do. No moves we could do would change anything.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2017, 06:03 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I'm going to help my Dad make a distribution from a marital bypass / credit shelter trust to himself because the tax rates for trust income is higher than for single taxpayers.
Quick questions if anyone can confirm for me:

In the trust, my Dad owns shares of VWIUX that have thrown off some "non-taxable income". From reading, my guess is that this income is not truly non-taxable income, but is only federally exempt from taxation.

First, is that the case? I understand the income would be taxable at the state level.

Second, assuming the answer to the first question is yes, then obviously I should ignore that income for the purposes of calculating the distribution from the trust to my Dad, right? I'm pretty sure that's right, but I'm losing confidence in myself since this didn't occur to me until today - if I hadn't thought of this today, I would have over-distributed by the amount of this "non-taxable income", which is a several thousand dollar error.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:16 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any New Yorkers that haven't seen that the governor signed into law that you can prepay your 2018 school and property taxes in 2017.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/22/cuomo-...-new-tax-bill/
Gov. Cuomo issued an emergency order Friday allowing property owners to prepay their 2018 school and property taxes so the levies can be deducted from this year’s federal returns.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Paid my 2018 pledge. Paid my spring 2018 property taxes. Paid my January mortgage payment.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #105
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Any New Yorkers that haven't seen that the governor signed into law that you can prepay your 2018 school and property taxes in 2017.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/22/cuomo-...-new-tax-bill/
Gov. Cuomo issued an emergency order Friday allowing property owners to prepay their 2018 school and property taxes so the levies can be deducted from this year’s federal returns.
My School tax bill doesn't come until around September...does this mean they are going to issue them now?
cusetownusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusetownusa View Post
My School tax bill doesn't come until around September...does this mean they are going to issue them now?
I have heard some districts are but don't think mine is among them but the town is accepting the property portion.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusetownusa View Post
It varies by locality, but our county is allowing you to prepay for 2018 up to the amount of total property taxes charged in 2017. You'll need to check with your taxing body (and many of the local news sites have had the info wrong, or at least it disagreed with our official, and updated county treasurer's web site).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

I ran TurboTax last night and found out that I had not sent enough in estimated tax payments to cover my California income tax liability for 2017 (before moving out of state). So I quickly sent a payment to the FTB online to get an extra deduction on my FIT return.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #109
Full time employment: Posting here.

We contribute to a college foundation which gives us the ability to pay for season tickets. Under current law, 80% of that number is deductible. Under the new plan, as near as we can tell, these contributions are not deductible.

We will prepay our 2018 contribution, and perhaps our 2019 contribution.

We are also prepaying the 2nd half of our property taxes, and prepaying our church pledges.

The future looks like an oscillating standard deduction/schedule A deduction every other year scenario.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
We contribute to a college foundation which gives us the ability to pay for season tickets. Under current law, 80% of that number is deductible. Under the new plan, as near as we can tell, these contributions are not deductible.
I'd probably watch the games on TV and donate that amount to the academic side of the college.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
... Under the new plan, as near as we can tell, these contributions are not deductible. ...
OK, I'll ask. Why should other taxpayers, like me, subsidize your tickets?

It is really the same problem as for state and local taxes. The beneficiaries of the tax expenditure should be the ones paying the taxes. IOW, the residents. To export part of the cost to the rest of the country is clearly unfair.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Before Porky shows up, I'll just add to the thread that I today updated my spreadsheet estimating my AGI because a Vanguard dividend (for VFIAX) was larger than I expected. It is a good thing I hadn't done my Roth conversion based on the estimate; I would have been on the wrong side of my particular cliff.

ETA: To MichaelB's point two posts below, the thing to do is doublecheck your actual dividends and capital gains received instead of relying on estimates, especially for fine-tuning stuff.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #113

Got email from FTB (CA Tax) reminding me that I have to initiate payment by Friday for it to be deductible on 2017 return .... county already sent me one
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #114
Administrator

Let’s please keep this thread on topic, which is things we can do before year end to maximize our advantage wrt the new tax law. This is not the thread for sermonizing or editorializing .
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #115
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
OK, I'll ask. Why should other taxpayers, like me, subsidize your tickets?

It is really the same problem as for state and local taxes. The beneficiaries of the tax expenditure should be the ones paying the taxes. IOW, the residents. To export part of the cost to the rest of the country is clearly unfair.
I agree with this. I don't understand how this ever was deductible.

Like most of us here, we did not make the rules.

I will, however, decide how I choose to play the game based upon the rules that are written.

The contributions to the foundation that endow scholarships will continue to be deductible. No need to pull those forward this year. We fund those through another mechanism that bypasses the tax forms. (Gifts of Grain) I really think the new tax laws will open some doors for Roth conversions that I did not see previously.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Let’s please keep this thread on topic, which is things we can do before year end to maximize our advantage wrt the new tax law. This is not the thread for sermonizing or editorializing .
In my experience, my infrequent posts tend to bring forth Porky.

I live in a high property tax state but have no state income tax. I've been bunching my deductions to itemize every other year. Fortunately, 2017 is a "bunching" year. Next year is a standard deduction year so I gain a few hundred dollars.

I set up a donor directed fund a few years ago for charitable contributions. Fortunately, there is a decent balance in it so I hope to stretch it until I need to take RMDs. If I can't, I'll have to see if I can do direct transfers to this charitable fund from my IRA before RMDs begin.

Overall, the change in personal tax rates, etc. make very little difference to me and probably not much to most Americans. The key is whether lower corporate rates can improve economic growth faster than our political class can spend it -- not likely. For the record, I'm a solid libertarian.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I set up a donor directed fund a few years ago for charitable contributions. Fortunately, there is a decent balance in it so I hope to stretch it until I need to take RMDs. If I can't, I'll have to see if I can do direct transfers to this charitable fund from my IRA before RMDs begin.
You can't do a direct transfer from an IRA to a DAF. Of course you can still take a normal distribution from your TIRA and contribute the cash to your DAF. If it's large enough to get you over the new standard deduction threshold, you can take it as an itemized deduction on Schedule A.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking about prepaying my 2018 property taxes for both properties.... ~$10k I talked with the assistant town clerk today and she said I could do it and many people have called asking about it and she has already received 3 checks.

If I do this I can do another Roth conversion of the same amount so our taxable income will be unchanged... but the effective rate on that additional Roth conversion will be $0 (also $0 for state I think)... bringing my effective rate on all my 2017 Roth conversions to about 6.4%.

I can't think of any downsides to doing this...... thoughts?

Im struggling to see any downside. I guess Mom should do the same now that I think of it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I can't think of any downsides to doing this...... thoughts?
Cash flow is the main one I can think of.

Then there's whether or not there are other uses of that AGI bucket, like capital gains harvesting.

You'll have a $10K higher AGI, so any AGI-dependent goodies in your life (ACA subsidies, Pease limitation, etc.) would be affected.

I'm sure you've thought of these.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Well, since I itemized and showed about $16000 in itemized expense in 2017 it seemed like a no brainer to pre-pay the roughly $5500 in property taxes we'll be assessed in 2018. Except. Callled Polk county Oregon and Riverside county California tax offices and neither is accepting payments that have not yet been assessed. We normally pay in full as soon as the property tax statements come out - how do others manage to bunch those payments? The Oregon office said they were precluded by Oregon law from accepting payments not assessed.
Cook County IL, will upon request send a bill for 55% of the next years estimated property taxes.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote