Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #201

That's a relief. Good job on keeping the contact name and phone number.

Now just watch out for the streaming fee they charge to your account for all that music you listened to.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #202
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
On the positive side, congrats on being 100% in cash.

Back when I read that you needed to transfer everything back home in cash, I thought that it would be such a fortuitous move for FIREd, as I felt the market was going down.

I could have done the same for myself, i.e. raising cash, even though I was not going anywhere. But of course I did not. Bummer.
I may be out of the equity game at the moment (a timing which was not of my choosing), but I check the euro-dollar exchange rate all the time! That's where the volatility in my net worth is at the moment (I recently switched from calculating my net worth in $ to euros, and I still have a lot of dollars). A few cents up or down in the exchange rate can make a BIG difference!

FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #203
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That's a relief. Good job on keeping the contact name and phone number.

Now just watch out for the streaming fee they charge to your account for all that music you listened to.
THEY should pay me for pain and suffering.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #204
Administrator

That is really crappy customer service. Did I read correctly that it was between your HSBC accounts in the USA and France? All this hassle and you were not even attempting to take money out of HSBC.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #205
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
That is really crappy customer service. Did I read correctly that it was between your HSBC accounts in the USA and France? All this hassle and you were not even attempting to take money out of HSBC.
That’s correct! The money never even left HSBC! It went from my HSBC checking account in the US to my HSBC checking account in France, where it still sits. Totally traceable since I used their own “global transfer” tool. Who knows, maybe I did not get the full story.

Anyway, my accounts have now been unlocked! I can breathe again. But lesson learned: in case of problem, forget the stupidly understaffed call center in India.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #206
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is really scary. Two hours on the line and still no resolution? I mean, what would have happened if you didn't have the phone number of the manager you had talked to? What if he didn't remember you? Just sayin...

Well, congrats on your upcoming move. It sounds like you downsized very well too, and you did all this in a very short time despite some pretty major obstacles. Very happy for you!
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #207
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I could not. Those suckers can stonewall you like nobody's business. I get transferred from one department to another and no one is able to answer any question. They all end up directing me to the same department and the wait times have been upward of 2 hours each time! While you wait on the line, they play some obnoxious elevator music on a short loop, which makes you want to gouge your eardrums. Not impressed at all.

But I finally went around their useless phone system. When I had to appear in person at one of their branches in Virginia to open my checking account in France, I met one of the managers there. I kept his business card and I called him while I was waiting on the line with customer service. He remembered me and took it upon himself to contact the right person. Apparently, my large transfer triggered a warning and they wanted to double check my identity. The branch manager had kept a copy of my passport and provided it to the fraud department. The suspension should be lifted before the end of the day. Fingers crossed.
Brilliant move!
Quote:
Anyway, my accounts have now been unlocked! I can breathe again.
So happy for you! Now you can proceed with the myriad of other things you probably need to do, related to your move.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:35 PM   #208
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
This is really scary. Two hours on the line and still no resolution? I mean, what would have happened if you didn't have the phone number of the manager you had talked to? What if he didn't remember you? Just sayin...
I'd probably still be on the phone if the manager had not intervened. It looks like, out of desperation, a lot of people leave angry messages on their Facebook page and get a call back from someone. But that's no way to conduct business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Well, congrats on your upcoming move. It sounds like you downsized very well too, and you did all this in a very short time despite some pretty major obstacles. Very happy for you!
Thank you! I am amazed at what I have accomplished in a fairly short period of time. The past 6 months have probably been the most challenging of my life but I feel so much more capable to overcome adversity now.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:05 AM   #209

Quote:
Thank you! I am amazed at what I have accomplished in a fairly short period of time. The past 6 months have probably been the most challenging of my life but I feel so much more capable to overcome adversity now.
Yes, the difficult times help us build resiliency that sustain us future difficult times and allow us to maintain some sense of equanimity. There will still be some scars, but you will know they are just that, scars, and you can determine what you want for your future and how to respond.

Best of luck to you - Joyeux Noel e Bonne Annee
Old 12-07-2018, 02:33 AM   #210
Administrator

Quote:
The past 6 months have probably been the most challenging of my life but I feel so much more capable to overcome adversity now.
As the great philosopher Charles Schulz once said through his character Lucy, “The tears of adversity water the flowers of experience Charlie Brown. 5c please. “ (sic)
Old 12-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Moving day!

Question: I have healthcare coverage until 12/31 via ACA. I am supposed to leave the country in 12/18. Would it be prudent to sign up for ACA for 2019 before the enrollment window closes just in case my departure is delayed? I already have purchased temporary health insurance coverage in France from 12/18. Overkill?
Old 12-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #212
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Moving day!

Question: I have healthcare coverage until 12/31 via ACA. I am supposed to leave the country in 12/18. Would it be prudent to sign up for ACA for 2019 before the enrollment window closes just in case my departure is delayed? I already have purchased temporary health insurance coverage in France from 12/18. Overkill?
It it were me I would add another month of ACA just for peace of mind.

Good luck with your move and thanks for sharing. Bon voyage!
neihn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #213
Administrator

Quote:
Moving day!

We were in a similar situation in that my company retiree insurance ended and we needed insurance for the month of January so we just took out temporary insurance for that month even though we actually left on January 18th.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #214
Moderator Emeritus

I think that I will extend my ACA coverage for another month just in case. Or I can sign up for 2019 and cancel it before the end of the year if the move goes smoothly.

My downsizing efforts have paid off. My stuff is on the truck and I ended up with half the number of boxes (and half the volume) as compared to the movers' original estimate. I am hoping that the price will drop commensurably.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #215
Administrator

Quote:
I think that I will extend my ACA coverage for another month just in case. Or I can sign up for 2019 and cancel it before the end of the year if the move goes smoothly.
This might be a good opportunity to look for a short term policy. It can provide the emergency coverage you need without the comprehensive coverage you probably don’t need.

Quote:
My downsizing efforts have paid off. My stuff is on the truck and I ended up with half the number of boxes (and half the volume) as compared to the movers' original estimate. I am hoping that the price will drop commensurably.
Well, ‘tis the season of hope
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #216
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wonderful! Life is so much better when it includes an occasional but fairly ruthless downsizing.

I am still enjoying all the extra space in my closets and cabinets that I would not have, had I not done this for my own move 3-4 years ago.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #217

Quote:

Unfortunately, the distance portion of the charges remain the same.
Old Today, 05:21 PM   #218
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Unfortunately, the distance portion of the charges remain the same.
True. I still saved about $1K compared to the estimate though.

The customs forms have been filled and the movers have been paid. My stuff should get on its way to Europe soon.

I sold my car to Carmax this morning. I will deposit the check on Monday. And I should be all ready to go on Tuesday.

I have been saying my goodbyes to friends and neighbors all week.

I decided to sign up for ACA for 2019 just in case my departure from the US gets delayed. I looked into short term health insurance but most policies require underwriting and exclude pre-existing conditions. It was simpler to renew ACA coverage (and not that much more expensive). I have until 1/1/2019 to pay my first monthly ACA premium. If I make it to France before the end of the year, I will cancel coverage before I have to pay it.