Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #241
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
He got a beater.
I knew that . Nice!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
... I have been in France for almost a month, and so far I have done very well on my food budget (€400 a month). On that budget, I can buy plenty of organic fruits and veggies. I can buy meat from a traditional butcher shop, perfectly aged cheese from an independent cheesemonger, and bread from an artisan bakery. And I have plenty left over for wine.
In our most recent visit to France, it was a longer stay than previous trips, and we stayed in Airbnb so had the chance to do a bit of grocery shopping, and we enjoyed it. Some food items were not expensive at all; of course everything looks cheap when you compare to what one pays in restaurants. I was impressed with what wine one could get for 5 to 10 euros. And we liked all kinds of pâté and terrine, and they were so inexpensive.

You have been away for almost 20 years, I think. Has much changed? I know you have been back to visit every year, but perhaps there are changes that only reveal themselves in everyday's life.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #243
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Update:

[snip]

I have started looking for a condo. I visited my first one on Monday and I have another visit lined up for this afternoon (a 550 sqft, 1-bedroom condo with large windows and a terrific view on the mountains).
I’m a big fan of simplification & downsizing (we cut our living space in half during each of the last two moves so, we’re now living in 25% of the space from 8 yrs earlier). I don’t know what European residential decor is like these days (it’s been 25 yrs since I lived there) but, you would likely benefit from watching lots of episodes of “Tiny House Nation.” The space saving and multipurpose ideas they employ are brilliant! It’s available on YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/results?search...+house+nation+

100% x 10% > 10% x 100%
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:42 AM   #244
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on taking possession of your new car this afternoon! And good luck on finding just the right condo.

A new life, a new car, a new condo.... so glad everything is coming together for you.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #245

Sounds exciting! Good luck and happy New Year
Old 01-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #246

I made an offer on the condo and it was accepted! I got it for a very good price for the area but it is a project... It looks a bit scary at the moment. And I took delivery of my car. I am so happy with it!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #247

Quote:
He got a beater.
I got a very nice beater indeed.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #248
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I got a very nice beater indeed.
^ This post is useless without pictures...

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #249

Quote:
^ This post is useless without pictures...
Here you have it... fully loaded A3 Sportback Quattro 2.0 TDI
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0089.jpeg (187.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I love France Fired; You mentioned a view of the mountains. Where in France do you live now?
I live near the Swiss border.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #251

Quote:
I made an offer on the condo and it was accepted! I got it for a very good price for the area but it is a project... It looks a bit scary at the moment. And I took delivery of my car. I am so happy with it!

Congrats!

Hard to believe it’s already been a month. It’s great to hear that everything is coming together so well.

Personally, I think a project is a great way to go, especially if you got a good price. This way you can remodel it to your liking and make it feel more like home.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #252

Quote:
Oooohhh, that’s a pretty car.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #253
Moderator Emeritus

Old 01-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #254
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes!!! What terrific news. I guess since you got the condo for such a good price, you could always hire a little help with the tougher repairs if necessary.

Bet you're glad now that you did all that decluttering, since you decided on a 550 sf condo. That's really all the room that most single people would need or want.

Very nice looking car, too.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #255

Quote:
I live near the Swiss border.
I do hope you get a chance to head down to my old stomping grounds near Nice. I lived there 20 years ago, and it was fabulous: culture, climate, scenery, food, women - what more could you want?

Ironically, the worst time to visit the French Riviera (IMO) was exactly when European tourists poured into the area - July and August. It was hot and overcrowded. The other 10 months were delightful.

So ... in the 20 years since I last visited has Nice / Provence been overdeveloped, or are there still some relatively well-preserved areas? I could jump on a plane and have a look for myself, but you're a bit closer. At my advanced age I have no trouble letting others do the groundwork while I watch with interest from afar.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:16 PM   #256
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
AUdi TDI !! Very nice! (and Quattro too!)

I've had about 1/2 dozen TDI's over the years. Those are a dying breed here in the U.S.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #257
Moderator Emeritus

Car - check. Condo - check. Congrats FIREd!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:53 PM   #258

How's the skiing? And great bounce back - sounds like things are going as well as possible for you. I'm sure your previously rusty French is back in fine form - now the English can get rusty ;-)
Old 01-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #259
Administrator

Quote:
Bien joué!
Old 01-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #260

Wow! It sounds like a fun adventure, and it's exciting! Congrats on finding a condo so quickly. (And your car looks fabulous!)

tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote