Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #341
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Congrats. The home remodeling will keep you busy. That's not a bad thing.
I was thinking the opposite! But always do respect your opinion.

My thoughts are that after FIREd has lived in the condo a while, the updates may not seem as important to him as they do now. When I moved into my Dream Home, I thought I'd need to update the kitchen countertops to granite, for sure. But after living here a few months, I decided that the present laminate/Formica/whatever is better than I had expected and I don't need granite.

As for keeping busy, renewing old friendships and building new ones as well as settling into his new condo and new environment may provide plenty to do.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 01:44 AM   #342
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I live in Canada and I file my own FBAR although I have a professional do my cross-border taxes.

https://bsaefiling.fincen.treas.gov/NoRegFBARFiler.html

I use the PDF form instead of the online one because I couldn't figure out a way to save while updating the online form whereas you can save the PDF and even reuse the same PDF form for multiple years as long as the form hasn't gotten revised. For the second year, you can remove your signature and reuse the same form by just changing the $ amount as long as your bank (or other financial institutions) accounts stay the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I just helped my son do his second FBAR today (last one was tax year 2017). Since you are new to this let me give you a tip. The first year you do one will produce a signed PDF that you submit on line and later get an email acknowledging receipt.

Next year the chances are good that you still have the same accounts and their details, plus your home address is probably the same, so make a copy of that PDF then remove the signature using the "button" provided on the form. You can then change the report year in the form, scroll down and edit the amounts in the accounts relevant to the current year, add or delete new and old accounts where needed, e-sign the form, save and click submit which takes you to the Fincen site. Since my son only has 1 UK account to report which is the same one as last year it took less than 5 minutes to complete his 2018 FBAR filing.

Thanks to both of you for the helpful replies!

FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote