Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I expect it is the same with all European countries. In the UK citizenship does not get you NHS healthcare, only legal permanent residence. When I went for my heart surgery last year I had to bring proof of the right to be legally in the country plus proof that I was a resident. In my case I took along my British passport and a recent utility bill.
Yep. I read about a Jamaican lady, a British national, who retired in Jamaica. She went back to get cancer treatment and they charged her because she was not a resident, but a visitor, even though she worked for decades in the UK previously. It would be free if she would have moved there. Now they are checking residency.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #362
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
It would be free if she would have moved there. Now they are checking residency.
Or, set up residency for 3 months prior to getting care.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:15 AM   #363
Moderator Emeritus

Update:

The renovation of my condo is well underway now. I have completed the demolition work and I put a downpayment on a new kitchen this morning (see the 3D drawing of my proposed new kitchen below).

The contractors are now all lined up. In July, a mason will build a laundry closet in the hallway. Then hardwood floors will be installed throughout. Then electric, remote-controlled rolling shutters will be put in (I'll be able to open and close the shutters without getting off my bed or sofa, ). August should be quiet (around here, most everyone is on vacation during that month). Then, in September, the painter will completely refinish the walls. In October, the new kitchen should be going in. I am also having an armored front door put in (the front door is the only entry point into the condo and there are quite a few burglaries around this nicer neighborhood). Finally, probably in November, the suspended ceiling and recessed lighting will be installed throughout.

So what will I be able to fit in just 540sqft of space (see floor plan below)?

- A full kitchen with: 1 dining table for 4-6 people, 1 full-size fridge/freezer combo, 1 full-size stovetop and oven, 1 oversize kitchen sink, and 1 dishwasher (could have fitted a full-size DW but went for a compact one).

- A laundry closet with a washer (could have fitted a full size stacked washer and dryer, but went for a compact washer instead - no dryer as most people here air dry their clothes and I will too)

- A bathroom with a soaking bathtub

- A bedroom with: 1 queen-size bed and bedside tables, 1 large desk with desk chair, 1 wardrobe (5 ft wide), 1 armchair

- A walk-in closet with 30 linear feet of shelves and a small coat rack

- A living room with: one 96" sofa + ottoman + coffee table, 2 armchairs and a side table, 1 large display bookcase

All the furniture is full-size and there is still plenty of room to move about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kitchen drawing.jpg (86.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg condo floorplan.jpg (156.6 KB, 82 views)
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:24 AM   #364
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, looking great. Thanks for the updates.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:26 AM   #365
Give me a forum ...

You haven't wasted an inch. That's a great floor plan. Will you show us pictures of the work in progress?

Will the door be steel with state of the art locks? I'm surprised by your comment about burglary..

Many times in the US this would be caused by addicts looking for money or something they can pawn to buy drugs. Is this a problem in your area?

I hope you stay on schedule and on budget!
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:40 AM   #366

Looks great. You're making great progress!
Old 06-06-2019, 07:25 AM   #367

Fantastic!

A very efficient layout. I think you’ll be very happy in your new home. Are you going to get a convertible sofa for when you have guests? Your layout reminds me of one of my favorite shows: Tiny House Nation.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...6VoMxZ6aDJdSHA
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #368
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

What, no indoor pool?
Old 06-06-2019, 07:38 AM   #369
Moderator Emeritus

Nice update! You’re making a lot of progress. Great floor plan too. I really like the automated shutters.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #370
Give me a forum ...

Looks like a nice floor plan. Are you building new walls and rearranging the space?

I try to picture 540 sq.ft. and it helps to know it's about the size of a double-car garage. Surely, one can live in that space. Americans are just too spoiled with big homes that take a lot to cool and to heat.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Americans are just too spoiled...
+1
Old 06-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #372

Excellent design! Look forward to updates with photos along the way. Hope all goes smoothly with the contractors.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #373
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What, no indoor pool?
1/2 a wine barrel on the roof connected to a solar water heater should do the job.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #374
Give me a forum ...

Very nice!

If it was me, I'd figure out a way to fit in a full sized non-stacked washer and dryer. But if you are already used to air drying your clothing, then I suppose it won't bother you to continue doing that.

So glad to see that everything is coming together just as you wished.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:19 AM   #375

I visited several friends and relatives in Europe last April, as well as Airbnb - none has dryer machine.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #376
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neihn View Post
I visited several friends and relatives in Europe last April, as well as Airbnb - none has dryer machine.
Well good for them.... ?
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #377
Give me a forum ...

I have rented only one Airbnb in Europe with a cloth dryer, but it did not work. This apartment in the suburb of Brussels was also the largest and most modern of all the ones I have stayed in with 2 bedrooms, 1-1/2 baths, and of about 1,300 sq.ft.

I do not mind not having a dryer, nor care for a stinkin' dishwasher. But no ice? No ice maker, but at least give me an ice tray. How can one survive without icy drinks?

By the way, the above Brussels apartment also had an American-sized fridge with an ice maker/dispenser. All right! I found out it did not work either. Rats!

So, we got into the habit of filling glasses with 3/4" of water, and freeze it to make ice.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #378
Administrator

+2@Spoiled Americans.

Here in the US we have an abundance of both space and inexpensive electricity. Lots of places around the world still dry clothers the old fashioned way - clothesline and sun. My German SIL regularly contrasts the differences when visiting.

When we were in Dubai our hotel room had a small unit that was both washer and dryer. First time I’d ever seen that, it was perfect for our limited need.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #379
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have rented only one Airbnb in Europe with a cloth dryer, but it did not work. This apartment in the suburb of Brussels was also the largest and most modern of all the ones I have stayed in with 2 bedrooms, 1-1/2 baths, and of about 1,300 sq.ft.

I do not mind not having a dryer, nor care for a stinkin' dishwasher. But no ice? No ice maker, but at least give me an ice tray. How can one survive without icy drinks?

By the way, the above Brussels apartment also had an American-sized fridge with an ice maker/dispenser. All right! I found out it did not work either. Rats!

So, we got into the habit of filling glasses with 3/4" of water, and freeze it to make ice.
I feel like ice on demand is an American thing. I grew up with an English Mom and as a result the coldest I like my drinks is fridge temp. Water I prefer right from the tap.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #380
Give me a forum ...

Once FIREd gets the hang of dealing with subcontractors, perhaps he can embark on a new career of remodeling apartments and flipping them. I wonder if this can be a lucrative business in Europe, as it often is in the US.