Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good luck with everything. I still can not get over how quickly that everything in your life changed. I hope that you are happy in your new life and please keep posting.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #222
Recycles dryer sheets

Have really enjoyed reading about your journey, and admire your organizational skills, tenacity and patience. My DH jokes about moving overseas. Next time he mentions it, I will ask him to read your post. Best of luck on the next phase of your life.
Time2re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #223
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Your attitude during all this has been inspiring. Carry on and enjoy the next phase of your life. Happy Holidays...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:31 AM   #224
Confused about dryer sheets

Let me know when you have landed here. I live very near where you will be, drinks are on me
Swissarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:17 AM   #225
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissarms View Post
Let me know when you have landed here. I live very near where you will be, drinks are on me
Nice 1st post.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:25 AM   #226
Moderator Emeritus

Update:

I arrived in France last week, just in time to spend Christmas with my family. I currently live in temporary (furnished) housing. I already signed up for a French cell phone number (all done online, the SIM card came by mail already and I activated it yesterday). I chose a plan with the leading local provider featuring unlimited voice and text anywhere in Europe plus 50GB of data for 20 euros a month. Yesterday, I bought myself a "new" car (a 1-year old Audi A3 Quattro). It should be delivered around mid-January as it needs to be shipped from another part of France. I also purchased four snow tires to handle the roads up to the nearby Alpine ski resorts (the car I chose even comes with a "ski hatch" in the back seat). I am now shopping for car insurance (first estimate is around 45 euros per month for full coverage).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:42 AM   #227
Moderator Emeritus

^ Looks like your transition to Europe is progressing well!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #228
Administrator

Good to hear that you are settling in well.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #229

Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:11 AM   #230
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Update:

I arrived in France last week, just in time to spend Christmas with my family. I currently live in temporary (furnished) housing. I already signed up for a French cell phone number (all done online, the SIM card came by mail already and I activated it yesterday). I chose a plan with the leading local provider featuring unlimited voice and text anywhere in Europe plus 50GB of data for 20 euros a month. Yesterday, I bought myself a "new" car (a 1-year old Audi A3 Quattro). It should be delivered around mid-January as it needs to be shipped from another part of France. I also purchased four snow tires to handle the roads up to the nearby Alpine ski resorts (the car I chose even comes with a "ski hatch" in the back seat). I am now shopping for car insurance (first estimate is around 45 euros per month for full coverage).
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!
Old 12-28-2018, 09:50 AM   #231
Give me a forum ...

Good update and Happy New Year FIREd, I hope 2019 is a better, happier year for you.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #232
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Update:

This is the best post of the month! So happy to read that you completed this huge move back to France. What a huge accomplishment. Not only that, but you also found and purchased a nearly new Audi! That's wonderful too. I hope you can manage to get around somehow for the next couple of weeks or so until it is delivered. Glad you found some temporary housing, enjoyed Christmas with your family, and have a local cell phone now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #233

Glad to hear all is going well!

Congrats on the transition and enjoy the Alps!
Old 12-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #234

Wow...sounds like your plan is falling (has fallen?) into place perfectly!

So, so happy for you.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:48 AM   #235
Moderator Emeritus

Update:

I will be taking delivery of my new car this afternoon. The car buying process is quite a bit longer in France than in the US. In the US, for the last 3 cars I purchased, I walked into a dealership, picked a car, paid for it by check, and drove off the lot a few hours later. In France, payment can only be made with a cashier's check or bank transfer. I selected to pay with a bank transfer because the fee was lower (€4 vs €15 for a cashier's check) . But the transfer had to occur a full 5 days before the delivery date (due to increasing bank transfer fraud I am told). I also had to secure insurance at least 2 days before delivery. I was asked to provide proof of address as well as full banking information even though I paid for the car outright. But the process was still very simple.

I ended up contracting a kind of umbrella insurance policy (coverage up tp €1M) at the same time as I contracted the auto insurance (full coverage, €500 deductible). I was told that €1M was more than enough coverage for the umbrella as seven figure judgements are exceedingly rare in France. Overall I will be paying about €75 a month for auto and umbrella insurance.

I have started looking for a condo. I visited my first one on Monday and I have another visit lined up for this afternoon (a 550 sqft, 1-bedroom condo with large windows and a terrific view on the mountains). There are no buyer's agents in France. Sellers list their property for sale with a real estate agency and potential buyers must contact that agency directly to make an appointment for a visit. So it takes more time to visit properties, as the buyer has to arrange each visit separately. The area that I am targeting has a very dynamic real estate market and properties are often already under contract by the time I try to make the appointment for a visit. So it has been a bit frustrating.

I have been in France for almost a month, and so far I have done very well on my food budget (€400 a month). On that budget, I can buy plenty of organic fruits and veggies. I can buy meat from a traditional butcher shop, perfectly aged cheese from an independent cheesemonger, and bread from an artisan bakery. And I have plenty left over for wine.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:14 AM   #236
Administrator

Good progress.

Thanks for the detail on buying a car. In England it was very much like the USA. We went through this in 2016 and I helped our son in 2017 go round the dealers. Find a car, leave a deposit and return 2 or 3 days later after it has been detailed and you have arranged insurance. Pay the balance when picking it up with either bank to bank or can use your debit card, either way the money arrives at the dealer in minutes.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:33 AM   #237

I love France Fired; You mentioned a view of the mountains. Where in France do you live now?

PS: We were in France for two weeks in September. It had been many years since we last visited France. We travelled down the Rhone through Beaujolais country. It was delightful. We spent the last several days in Nice. I love that city.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-11-2019, 07:03 AM   #238

Sounds like you are starting well the your new environment. Glad to hear your budget includes wine and good cheese!
Old 01-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #239
Moderator Emeritus

Pretty sure I’m not alone in wanting to know what car . Great progress! Good luck on the condo!
Old 01-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #240
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Pretty sure I’m not alone in wanting to know what car
He got a beater.

Quote:
(a 1-year old Audi A3 Quattro)