Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Brat,
Fraid Oregon is really a pretty tax unfriendly place for retirees. Check out this link from Kiplingers, who includes Oregon on its list of the 10 most tax UNfriendly states. State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees - Oregon -Kiplinger.
Nwsteve
Eh, I am an Oregon retiree and pay less in income taxes than I spent on sales tax as a retiree on Bainbridge Island. Been there, done that one could say. My suggestion is that you buy TurboTax with the State return and run your personal numbers. Don't trust the likes Kiplinger's.

I suppose if you have very significant MRDs and don't buy stuff that is taxable (like nice cars) then WA could be tax cheaper.

East of the Cascades the weather is much sunnier, colder in the winter and warmer in the summer. Housing is cheaper in Wenatchee and Spokane than Bend or Sunriver without a doubt.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I too was thinking about moving from CA to Nevada for tax reasons. But at the end, I love to play golf year around and decided that was big enough reason to can the idea.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I agree. I don't know how anyone can lay claim to "owning" a house there when they have to write yearly checks like that. It would appear to me, the government owns it more.
By that logic, home "ownership" should be limited to people who can afford to purchase large, self-sufficient estates (including their own safety and security, their own efforts to address human rights matters as it pertains to the poverty of the serfs of the estate, etc.), that have no interaction with the rest of the country other than what would be expected between sovereign nations, complete with comparable tariff arrangements between neighboring countries. :shrug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We have a short list of places to check out. We won't make a final decision until we see where the kids settle post college.
That's a good point. What's the point of moving to PA (in our case) if my brothers' families move closer to NYC rather than staying further west of the metro area? Heck, I have never really discussed what happens later with my brothers (much less my oldest niece). We haven't been seeing each other regularly since we moved away, so perhaps moving back isn't a good idea at all.

By contrast, while my spouse has gone "home" to visit family in TN even less than I have, and by the time we retire the family left down there will be made up principally of younger cousins born after my spouse left the area over fifty years ago, it is more likely that family down there will be far more interested in integrating us into the family - it's a cultural difference. However, that's for my spouse, with me tagging along, and I'm ten years younger, and so I worry what that means for the last five to seven years of my life.

Tough choices.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

At retirement, like a lot of people, we had ended up at a place we had been sent by the employer. The house was paid off, the kids off in other states with their own lives. We began to do more of the things we wanted to do other than work, and we began to notice that for half the year, weather made these things difficult to do. Then there was the traffic, really bad traffic. When we had purchased the house in 1980, we were in the boonies. By 2001, we were surrounded by lots of people. Since we were 20 miles from downtown, just getting there to take in a concert, play, etc. became very difficult.

We began think about our overall quality of life where we were, and whether there was a place where we could go that would better fill our needs. We don't like very hot summers, nor cold, rainy winters. We like bike riding, but don't want to fight traffic on a bike. We want to be not too far from Costco. We didn't want a much larger state tax bill. We wanted our cake, and to be able to eat it too.

After a lot of looking, we concluded that such a place didn't exist.

San Diego looked good from a climate standpoint, but housing would be twice as much, state taxes much higher, lots of traffic....One son was in Austin. This was a nice place, university town, lots to do. The traffic was bad. Property taxes were twice as high on equal value houses. Summers were quite hot.

So we have ended up with a 2nd place in So. AZ where we go for half of the year. Given the number of folks here from WA, BC, MN, NY, IL, OR etc. who do the same thing, maybe this is the solution for others.

Think about your overall quality of life, and go where that takes you.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

We wandered around looking for a retirement place. No kids, so that wasn't an issue. Prescott AZ came as close as anything weather and beauty-wise if we were looking at a single place, but we ended up with a place in La Quinta near SWMBO's old high school stomping grounds (and not coincidentally some great friends of hers - odd how like attracts like [except for outliers like me]). Only thing is, this place immolates in summer, so we run for the house in Oregon, where all the rentals are.

Tax wise, we are in California and Oregon, so I'm very attracted by the Vancouver Washington area and the notion of selling our Oregon house and scooping up those tax-free gains. Our rental income will continue to be taxed by Oregon - can't do anything about that, but other income could be state tax free in Washington. Unfortunately, not a gigantic savings, and the gal has put out the word that we are NOT sorting and moving our stuff in Oregon, we are NOT dumping the house we spent 5 years rebuilding to our tastes, and we are NOT moving 70 miles north of our established friends in Oregon. Think she's hinting that we are staying put in Oregon as residents.

Damn I'm tempted by the actions of the retired and dual pension drawing school administrator couple who moved 200 miles from California to Nevada and are suddenly state tax free though. Or the drivers of the Washington plate wearing convertible sports cars down wintering here...
Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #66

We moved to Alberta from Ontario just after retirement. Was not just a tax decision as we wanted to experience mountain living and I wanted to learn to ski. Tax savings have been significant though. I estimate our "take home pay" eg pensions and divs after tax are about 15% higher in Alberta than they would be in Ont. Sales tax is also 8% lower. This is an extreme result but true nevertheless. Doesn't sound like the various state tax rates are that different in the US.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Remember, the most important thing to most of us is the people we are around.

Ha
You are one smart dude ha.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
nearby shopping with no sales tax. Best of both worlds in a way.
Legally, you are supposed to report these purchases to the state of WA and pay the state sales tax. IMHO, our digital world will soon make that much easier for the state to track.

WA more than makes up for not income tax with high sales tax, various fees, and, of course, the highest liquor tax in the nation.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

There is a reason why the Costco on the Oregon side not far from the I-205 bridge has the highest volume per square foot of all their stores.

Yes, WA residents are supposed to report those purchases but they rarely do. Of course if it is an item delivered by the seller (such as furniture or large appliances) the seller would charge WA sales tax.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

If the politicians have a choice between raising taxes on the general population and find a way to use technology to get the folks who shop in Oregon to pay the sales tax, I think they will choose the the later. I see this coming. But, I could be wrong.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Our kids left NY so we decided to move south when we retired to get out of the 200" of snow a year. After visiting several states and communities, we chose Florida. By doing so our property taxes went from 8,000 to 2,000 on the same priced house. We went down to one car. We can walk, golf cart and bike ride almost anywhere we want to go. Our utility bill decreased $75 per month. We now pay no state income tax. We can have a much higher standard of living here with traveling much more than if we stayed in NY.
Also, we are outside so much and get so much more exercise than in all the ice and snow we are much more healthy.
To each his own. Many people have told me they would never move to the villages where we moved to but they have never been here. Their opinions are based on rumors and suppositions. But I love it here. My kids love to visit and they are happy we made a good choice for us. We can afford to do so much more than we ever would have if we stayed in NY. We have met many wonderful people from all over the country and I only wish we had done it sooner.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #72
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52andout View Post
Our kids left NY so we decided to move south when we retired to get out of the 200" of snow a year. After visiting several states and communities, we chose Florida. By doing so our property taxes went from 8,000 to 2,000 on the same priced house. We went down to one car. We can walk, golf cart and bike ride almost anywhere we want to go. Our utility bill decreased $75 per month. We now pay no state income tax. We can have a much higher standard of living here with traveling much more than if we stayed in NY.
Also, we are outside so much and get so much more exercise than in all the ice and snow we are much more healthy.
To each his own. Many people have told me they would never move to the villages where we moved to but they have never been here. Their opinions are based on rumors and suppositions. But I love it here. My kids love to visit and they are happy we made a good choice for us. We can afford to do so much more than we ever would have if we stayed in NY. We have met many wonderful people from all over the country and I only wish we had done it sooner.
Now that's quite a success story! I am so happy for you because you have found what you really want in retirement.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't say that our retirement move was completely due to tax reasons, but our significant tax reduction from moving was what has allowed us to retire earlier than planned.

We also escaped from NY and moved to TX. Our property taxes have decreased by $5500 per year, our income tax has dropped to zero, the gas taxes are less and the sales tax is the same as what we paid in NY. We started looking at TX because my family lives here. That was the primary driver for our move, but the lower cost of living means that we can retire now if we choose to. So far, DH is still insisting he wants to go back to work, but we'll see how that pans out over the next few months.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuysToys View Post
I can't say that our retirement move was completely due to tax reasons, but our significant tax reduction from moving was what has allowed us to retire earlier than planned.

We also escaped from NY and moved to TX. Our property taxes have decreased by $5500 per year, our income tax has dropped to zero, the gas taxes are less and the sales tax is the same as what we paid in NY. We started looking at TX because my family lives here. That was the primary driver for our move, but the lower cost of living means that we can retire now if we choose to. So far, DH is still insisting he wants to go back to work, but we'll see how that pans out over the next few months.

But on the other hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring Ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, staggering homeowner insurance rates, unbelievably high property taxes, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects, and, lest we forget, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring Ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, staggering homeowner insurance rates, unbelievably high property taxes, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects, and, lest we forget, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees.
So far, it's been pretty good! ROFL Our neighbors are forgiving DH for being a Yankee, I grew up in Kansas so most of the pests and weather are familiar to me, and the high property taxes (and homeowner's insurance as well) are still much, MUCH lower than we were paying in NY.

Don't tell DH about the polygamous religious sects, though. He'd probably want to convert!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oh, I had forgotten about the ebola outbreaks down on the monkey farm in my hometown. Thanks for posting REWahoo's list again.

My DH has never visited this forum, but he has heard from me about this list.

Whenever I get lonely for family and talk about moving to TX, DH tells me to remember "that guy's list.

😜
Old 01-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You're welcome.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52andout View Post
We moved from NY to Fl 10 years ago. Most of your sentiment we share, we also have many more visitors now, but at least in our case, the oppressive late summer heat here is also pretty bad.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Nothing wrong with Iowa, are you sure your co-workers don't just happen to like warmer weather?

Remember, the most important thing to most of us is the people we are around.

Ha
+1
Put aside the taxes, it is family that matters, when deciding about where to retire. We drew 50 mile radius around our daughters house and looked for a house on the beach or in the local mountains. We believe in 'love them from a distance' and it has worked. We are available for babysitting our grand kids often- it is only an hour away. We would not see them much if we lived in Hawaii, even if we payed for airfare and the cost of living is very high.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

My situation: large home in Illinois, but no major ties here we couldn't maintain if elsewhere. Except, kids (in college in the northeast) don't want us to sell "their home." Costs lots to maintain.

We have always wanted to be somewhere warm in the winter and had started looking even before this winter's nastiness. We don't like much of Florida, but have found a place we actually like very much. We have a summer home in Mass, so we will not experience the FL summers.

The weather is a factor, but taxes are a pretty major difference. Income taxes aren't such a big deal, but will most likely continue to rise as Illinois can't seem to get its act together on the public pension problem. The real kicker is the estate tax. Even after exclusions, it would amount to the cost of a very nice place in Florida. I would rather leave my kids an asset like that than a large tax bill. Real estate taxes are actually a little less in FL on a $/value basis than where we live in Ill.

So, we're on our way to FL soon for a second house-hunting trip. Will keep the Illinois house for several years, then maybe downsize to a condo.