Moving To A Tax Free State?

Re: What MN thinks of your tax domicile...is it relevant? If you have no accounts there, and don't plan to return, isn't the best solution to ignore the state's pleas to give them money? Is there an extradition treaty for tax offenders between states?

Edit: http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/285-offset-refund-collect-obligations-19742832

The US Treasury will deduct amounts owed to the state from any federal tax refund.

Jeez Ziggy - where is that, TX hill country?

It's amazing! The Rio Grande Valley is actually cooler than most of the rest of the state, and the humidity is lower too (if you are inland enough).

Audrey

I hear ya Tex...DD is living in N Dallas or should I say slow roasting like a rack-o-ribs on the smoker...

It's only day 39 or so in-a-row over 100...

Would you like mesquite smoked, or maybe applewood?

diamond in the rough

We live in Palm Coast Florida.
No income tax or personal property tax. We pay taxes on our house, which are limited on how much they can be raised in a year.

Up north our real estate tax was more than double, then a personal property tax and also throw in an income tax. Needless to say we have $5000/$10,000 more in our pockets than we had up north.

No boots, coats etc, so our wardrobe costs are less.

If we had an RV then we would have seriously considered "the Great Outdoors" in Titusville FL.

No boots, coats etc, so our wardrobe costs are less.
But your A/C costs are higher :LOL: ...

BTW, DW/DS/me lived in Florida for two years (military). Could not get wait to get back to where they had more than two seasons (unlike Florida's two "seasons", which are warm, and warmer :facepalm: ).

When I left for w*rk and went out the front door, my glasses would fog up from the humidity (in February/March), and DW had a constant "war" with the creepy-crawlies year-round :D ...

But, to each his/her own. Heck, if we all lived in one area of the country the planet would probably wobble more than it does today...

BTW, we pay no income (state or local) on our retirement income (be it IRA withdrawls, pensions, or SS) in our current state of residence; something I did not think about until shortly before retirement. Sometimes there is nothing like dumb luck...

where i the state

Where you live in Florida makes a big in difference in heat.

In the Northeast corner we have 2 months a year around 90. The majority of the year it averages in the low 70s. If you live with 10 miles or so from the ocean then there is a sea breeze every evening. So we like the A/C between 11am and around 5pm. (beats 6 months or more of ice, snow and freezing temps)

Looking at the National Wx Service most likely hurricane areas, the ne corner of Florida is on par with New England.

By contrast in Miami you need a machete to cut your way thru the humidity.

(beats 6 months or more of ice, snow and freezing temps).
Heck, we live in the mid-Atlantic, not Minnesnowta :facepalm: ...

Anyway, we rarely have snow before Christmas (in fact, the local jewelers have a promotion of "your purchase is free if it snows "x" inches before Christmas" to get the young folks to get engaged.

A "White Christmas" is rarely a fact in our area. If it does snow to any accumulation, it is usually Jan/Feb, with a possible "onion snow" in March, which melts quickly.

Most local ski (snow) areas don't expect to open until just before Christmas, when they are "making snow" (more like ice, with their "snow guns"). Heck, without the weather, there would be no "Winter Olympics".

As I said before, to each their own. Nobody will agree on the perfect place to live, and will defend their personal choice many times over. It depends on the experiences you've had and the decisions you have alreay made.

Where you live in Florida makes a big in difference in heat.

In the Northeast corner we have 2 months a year around 90. The majority of the year it averages in the low 70s. If you live with 10 miles or so from the ocean then there is a sea breeze every evening. So we like the A/C between 11am and around 5pm. (beats 6 months or more of ice, snow and freezing temps)

Looking at the National Wx Service most likely hurricane areas, the ne corner of Florida is on par with New England.

By contrast in Miami you need a machete to cut your way thru the humidity.
Could you give me the limits of what you consider the NE corner, to get this kind of weather and hurricane risk? How many months can you swim in the ocean (for me as a west coaster anything over water temp of 60 is fine). How many winter nights freeze, on average?

Ha

Depending on your tolerance of hurricane risks, this could be a negative comment about New England, not a positive comment about NE Florida.

After some hurricane experiences here, I put "no hurricanes" at the top of my desirable attributes list for locations should we move. For me that meant ruling out any location within 200 miles of the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean, period. YMMV and probably does. :)

Last edited:
I moved to Florida a few years ago for several reasons, one of which was not the tax benefits for retirees. However, now that Im getting closer to that point, I think I may just stay here. Interestingly enough, this summer has been more comfortable than 60% of the CONUS. Yesterday evening I spent outside mowing the majority of my 10 acres, and it was just gorgeous, cool, breezy, and I didnt break a sweat. I even opened the windows for a while. Have had plenty of rain, grass is growing like crazy. And once we get into mid-October, I wont trade anyone our weather for a good 6 months. I had several hurricanes pass over me in 2005, was tolerable, no damage, tho I did lose electric several times due to downed trees. You know, Florida is a very big state, so likely isnt wise to paint Florida with a broad brush. Mid to northern Florida can get very cold nights in the winter; the beauty of that is it will get up to 70 that same day. Love it.

Back
Top Bottom