Join Early Retirement Today

moving to vanguard
Old 03-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

moving to vanguard

was in process of putting funds into cash to move to vanguard when market dropped. got stuck with about $250k still in mutual funds. any reason not to just continue selling that to buy indexed funds at vanguard or do i wait for the dust to settle?

also, any benefit in joining vanguard with my brother and his cash (though in totally separate accounts)? like lower service fees maybe?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: moving to vanguard
Old 03-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Name: lazygood4nothinbum
Position: Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Date Registered: February 27, 2006, 11:50:04 PM

Name: dex
Position: Full time employment: Posting here.
Date Registered: October 28, 2003, 08:13:06 AM
Last Active: Today at 01:35:32 PM

You've been on this board 1 year - contrats with 1,159 in posts!?

Me 3 yrs 4 months 866 posts - I think I've come to the conclution I just don't have a lot to say.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #3

I'm not sure about VG service fees, I think it would only work if you have the same address. Call them. As to how to make the transfers, who knows? What do you want to do? I mean that you can DCA as a defensive move or just jump in. Both are OK. Maybe depends on temeperment? For my own take on the market I expect 2007 to be an up year and planned to switch into more conservative funds (growth funds into Wellsley) later in the year. Maybe I am wrong?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
You've been on this board 1 year - contrats with 1,159 in posts!?
thanx, i guess. this is what happens when retired because of depression, spending 1/2 of retirement to date watching mom die and the rest sorting out the estate. i'm afraid to spend money yet, so i just stay home, utilizing online forums for therapy. you'll notice though i've hardly any financial posts on this financial forum. and people think i just don't listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
As to how to make the transfers, who knows? What do you want to do? I mean that you can DCA as a defensive move or just jump in. Both are OK.
wasn't trying to market time per all the financial advice here. was just wondering if--since i happen to only be moving stuff now--it made any difference to wait or not, what with all the bad press these days. just thought maybe i'd check one last time for local knowledge on any rocks down there. guess this will be a good lesson for me to take a deep breath and jump.

i want my mommy.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 03-01-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

LG4NB:

I am in a similar situation. I just set up two Vanguard accounts. One a taxable joint account and one an IRA for DW. We plan to transfer large sums from managed funds. We initially set it up for VG to "pull" the IRA funds but the correction made me rethink that. That way the funds will get cashed in whenever the VG paperwork happens to get processed at the other end. Instead, for both accounts we now plan to sell on our schedule and then mail the check to VG. But with volatility like the last few days I am afraid I will blow 3% by having the money out of play during an up-tick. As of now I am planning to wait a little while to see if we get a re-bound and then cash in and reinvest as quickly as possible.

We can compare results
Old 03-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
I'm not sure about VG service fees, I think it would only work if you have the same address. Call them.
I've been able to get our parents included under our Vanguard service category umbrella with lower fees etc, all at different addresses. I think it will extend to siblings, but not sure.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #7

donheff you might very well win this race. seems i don't have much of a choice on timing. but also turns out most of the account i was concerned with was in money market & bonds anyway and the bonds did well. it's going to take 3 days from notice to sell to transfer out of the guardianship account. que sera sera, what money will or won't be.

thanx for info esrbob. turns out doesn't matter as i just learned from banker that brother is going to merrill lynch instead.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
donheff you might very well win this race. seems i don't have much of a choice on timing. but also turns out most of the account i was concerned with was in money market & bonds anyway and the bonds did well. it's going to take 3 days from notice to sell to transfer out of the guardianship account. que sera sera, what money will or won't be.
Actually, I think you have already won the race. If your money was in MM and bonds they were unaffected by the "correction." If I were you, I would get it over to VG lickety split. The IRA I am moving is entirely in equity funds. So it is down a couple of percent. If I thought the downturn would last, I would just pull it but I am tempted to wait a bit and see if it recovers and then.... All my second guessing will likely come to naught. On the bright side, whatever happens I will laugh it off and not let it get to me. I pulled out $300K (taxable) to pay off a mortgage last year and can't even remember what the market conditions were.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #9

ya, well, turns out we actually gained 13 plus percent on the bonds portion, not too shabby. but i can only move it when i can move it. three days minimum. might be more. so i very well might miss the upturn (assuming that what goes down must come up).

Old 03-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
\wasn't trying to market time per all the financial advice here. was just wondering if--since i happen to only be moving stuff now--it made any difference to wait or not, what with all the bad press these days. just thought maybe i'd check one last time for local knowledge on any rocks down there. guess this will be a good lesson for me to take a deep breath and jump.
I don't know if this is usual, or if it would apply in your case, but last October 30th when I started my Roth IRA with Vanguard it took a couple of days for the account to get set up and the money transferred from my checking account. That was my first account with Vanguard, and I think perhaps that contributed to the delay. I didn't have any problem in delays when adding to the account later. This past week the market has been much more volatile than it was last October. If you had a two day delay, could that be a problem? Just thought I'd mention it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #11

want2, the delay now is at the bank holding guardianship accounts. i don't understand why but i am told they require 3 biz days from when i told them to sell to when they release funds. also there is administrative work either to set up separate ira's at the current bank before transfer or to withdraw 1/2 each directly from existing account. the guy in charge not only does this for a living every day but he's the guy who set up this guardianship program with that bank (which has supposedly become the industry model locally) so i'm a little suprised he didn't know how this would work. and then there might be more delay at vanguard. so far, at least by looking at the market today, delay has worked to our advantage.

Tags
vanguard