Join Early Retirement Today

Mr. Micawber is my financial guru
Old 11-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mr. Micawber is my financial guru

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

I heard a piece on NPR this morning about the early 19thC financial crises that influenced Dickens and I was reminded what a strong impression the comically tragic Mr. Micawber in David Copperfield made on me as a small boy. I read the book in school and deciding that debt was something to be avoided in almost all circumstances. Now 35 years after my only debt is a 4.5% fixed mortgage that will be paid off in 5 years time. So I must thank Dickens and Mr. Micawber and point out that novels are not just entertainment, but many contain useful lessons. Now, as I'm a single man "I must be in search of a wife" so I'll go and re-read "Pride and Prejudice" and see if I can learn something else that will be useful.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."
I recently re-read David Copperfield as an adult, and this quote definitely stuck out in the book. There is nothing new under the sun.

To bad that 90% of America today does not understand this simple homily that the world understood well 150 years ago.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #3

has been one of my favourite lines for many years
Old 11-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
" Now, as I'm a single man "I must be in search of a wife" so I'll go and re-read "Pride and Prejudice" and see if I can learn something else that will be useful.
Choose very, very carefully. A spouse is undoubtedly the single most important factor influencing debt.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #5

I actually got my first serious financial advice from a Gilligan's Island episode when the castaways were putting on a musical version of Hamlet (I forget why). They used the music from Carmen, which Mr. Howell had on LP (played on the old palm tree turntable). The skipper was Polonius, and he sang "Neither a borrower nor a lender be. Do not forget, stay out of debt. Think twice, and take this good advice from me, Guard that old solvency." It made me crack up, but I've never forgotten the advice either. And it made much more of an impact than studying it in school ever did.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

"Barkis is willing." i'll put an APB out on Peggotty.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
"Barkis is willing." i'll put an APB out on Peggotty.
This is intended as romantic advice, right, not financial, although I try to stash cash like Barkis. Dickens always struck me as one of the least romantic of authors.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
Choose very, very carefully. A spouse is undoubtedly the single most important factor influencing debt.
That sounds as if it could have come straight from Austen's pen. Or maybe it's a quote form Lincoln
Old 11-06-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jane Austen on finance:

It is a truth, universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good forture, must be in want of a wife.
Pride & Prejudice

A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of.

Nothing amuses me more than the easy manner with which everybody settles the abundance of those who have a great deal less than themselves.

Mansfield Park
Old 11-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

The skipper was Polonius, and he sang "Neither a borrower nor a lender be. Do not forget, stay out of debt. Think twice, and take this good advice from me, Guard that old solvency." It made me crack up, but I've never forgotten the advice either. And it made much more of an impact than studying it in school ever did.
------

harley, as a college instructor, I've found that if you can make people laugh - they remember the information. Emotions are a very powerful part of learning.

ta,
mews