Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbidness View Post
Hurt feelings doesn't equal misogyny. I can take a lick and I can dish 'em out too. It's an interesting thread as long as everyone plays clean.
You see hurt feelings? I see a few posters who lump all women into the same category, condemn marriage etc,etc.

All life is full of pendulum swings, ie SAHM getting alimony, custody to Mom and so on. It's gradually starting to swing in the other direction as it should.

Compare this to the METOO movement woman regularly harassed at work, being passed over for promotion because they weren't friendly enough not even being considered for management because of their gender less pay for same work. This is swinging in the other direction finally..not everything is equal and it never will be.

Yet all businesses didn't treat woman like crap, just as all women aren't out to take their ex to the cleaners. Way too much pigeonholing going on here IMO.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #262
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausfrau View Post
I find this topic interesting. I'm curious what is missing, or what they expect to find when they leave?
I think for men, and suspect the same for women, that it is a left-over biological imperative to spread one's genetics over as broad an area as possible.

Maybe people's innate desires and urges overcome their social pressure. I think men want to have sex with someone new. A female nurse friend of mine told me that she read that most sex-related heart attacks are with a new partner. It's more exciting with someone new, right? I have many urges which I don't follow-up on. I tend to look at every woman I see. I don't do anything about it. My wife doesn't like it because she is embarrassed but knows full-well that I am not going to do anything. I am not aggressive. I can't seem to not look. Being male has its drawbacks.

[QUOTE=hausfrau;2170355]Maybe my husband will blindside me one day and ask for a divorce. Maybe I've just been assuming I'm happily married. /QUOTE]
One thing that every one of my bosses agreed on was that I talk too much.

My wife does not have that problem. Really hard initially when on a date. We overcame it. She agrees with my bosses but unlike for them, for her it's not a deal-breaker!

I think maybe you should talk to him about it. Rather than just hope for the best and maybe be surprised you could fix a small problem before it grows insurmountable.

My wife, who doesn't talk much, who says I make up for her, grew depressed and we talked about it and we made some adjustments and lived through it. It was sort of a mid-life crisis-ey period for both of us. We each changed some of our meds and behavior and we are happier than ever. She's quitting her last job this Friday!

BTW, we watch TV and there are a lot of real-life murder shows on Friday and Saturdays. I always refer to them as how-to shows. That prompted me to make a pact with her that we would not kill each other and just get a quickie divorce! We are not serious. Neither of us would be able to function w/o the other as we have been together sine 16/17 and would be lost souls.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
Old 01-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #263
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Uh-uh, gaslighting me won't work. None of my posts gives evidence that I am unaware that many people are too selfish and untrustworthy to make good mates for good people.

Indeed, I referred to con artists of every gender, and implied that it is everyone's responsibility to be savvy enough to suss them out and not be fooled by their charades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
I admit all of your gender is not plotting and worthless. ....

What I would like is if you were aware that your kind nature is not shared by ALL women. .
Old 01-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #264
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I tend to look at every woman I see. I don't do anything about it. My wife doesn't like it because she is embarrassed but knows full-well that I am not going to do anything. I am not aggressive. I can't seem to not look. Being male has its drawbacks.
Mike, you don't really think this (bolded) is unusual, right?
Old 01-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #265
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
There is a book on Gray Divorce and why it happens. It's very common these days:

https://www.amazon.com/Gray-Divorce-.../dp/0520295323

I just checked this out from the library. It sounds like an interesting read.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #266
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausfrau View Post
I just checked this out from the library. It sounds like an interesting read.
In an earlier thread, I recall (guess here) that about 1/2 of today's divorces in the U.S. are considered Gray Divorces. Scary as those people are over 60.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #267

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/am...HOO&yptr=yahoo

And now Bezos and MacKenzie are divorcing. OUCH! That one will be costly. At least they don't have children to screw up for the duration of paying the lawyers.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #268
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

My best friend ruined my life. We were both admiring an especially
nice looking woman and he said jokingly that he'd like to get to know her better, and of course I agreed. Then he ruined my life by saying he's sure he's exactly what she's looking for. old, fat, bald. Now every time I see a beautiful woman those words come back to me.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #269
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
https://www.thestreet.com/markets/am...HOO&yptr=yahoo

And now Bezos and MacKenzie are divorcing. OUCH! That one will be costly. At least they don't have children to screw up for the duration of paying the lawyers.
If he would have stayed single, he could have kept 139 billion to himself. Perhaps he thought it would never happen to him.

I would think he wouldn't notice the loss of 70 billion, at his level.

Now MMM, thats got to hurt.

For all of you readers that don't have Bezos money (none do), don't make Bezos' mistake.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #270
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If he would have stayed single, he could have kept 139 billion to himself. Perhaps he thought it would never happen to him.

I would think he wouldn't notice the loss of 70 billion, at his level.

At least he won't have to couch surf at his buddy's house.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #271

Quote:
Hi. Glad you posted that.

You mentioned it takes two to tango. Let's take a look at a serious subject. Spousal abuse. Violent spousal abuse. Now, the next time a woman is victimized, should she be told "it takes two to tango?".

So since we all know that sometimes a victim is innocent and has no fault in a situation, we clearly see it doesn't take two to tango.

I prevent spousal abuse at every opportunity. I hope the rest of you do the same.
This is another area where male victims are almost completely overlooked and there's a myth that almost all victims of abuse are female. Some studies have shown that up to half of spousal abuse victims are male...other studies show less. Try to think of the last time (if ever) that the abuse of a male partner made the headlines.

CDC Study: More Men than Women Victims of Partner Abuse SAVE: Stop Abusive and Violent Environments
Old 01-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #272
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Well, I do it in front of my wife and awkwardly, or so I have been told. Even some of my male friends commented on it.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
Old 01-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #273
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post

All life is full of pendulum swings

Compare this to the METOO movement woman regularly harassed at work, being passed over for promotion because they weren't friendly enough
Now companies are implementing new rules for dealing with the #metoo movement. No more one on one meetings with women, less mentoring, no business supper, ect.

Measures/countermeasures
Old 01-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #274

Quote:
Now companies are implementing new rules for dealing with the #metoo movement. No more one on one meetings with women, less mentoring, no business supper, ect.

Measures/countermeasures
What's your point if you have one...
Old 01-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #275

Quote:
What's your point if you have one...

I notice you have a habit of truncating people's post to slant the original posts.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #276
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Measures/countermeasures
The end result of this will be men avoiding women at work.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #277
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I notice you have a habit of truncating people's post to slant the original posts.

Feel free to truncate mine if so desired.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #278

Quote:

Measures/countermeasures
My last 10 years of work, I never had one on one meetings with males or females when there was negative news to deliver. Heard of too many bad situations in my prior job.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #279
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Indeed, I referred to con artists of every gender, and implied that it is everyone's responsibility to be savvy enough to suss them out
My suss meter is in the shop.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #280

Thanks everyone for an interesting discussion.