Mr. Money Mustache Divorce Blog Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
From his very first posts, which is basically anyone that doesn't follow what he says is stupid and you can retire at 25 with 375K. Of course while his blog extolling this lifestyle made him 400K per year and he excludes from his costs any expenses he considers not part of the lifestyle.

People can show off anything, from how much they spend to how little they spend and tend to assume people on the "other" side don't get it. The real path to FIRE and contentment IMO is to tailor your lifestyle to fit you and the people you love. This might mean some can FIRE at 40 and someone else FIRE will be well into their 60's. Oh and it also means you don't give a crap about what other people think of your choices.

Anyone who thinks they can intelligently speculate as to the reasons for the demise of anyone else's marriage is foolish.

Most divorced couples - THEMSELVES - cannot properly articulate or understand exactly why (and rarely can recognize their own contribution to the situation).

All that we can do is guess and gossip, or, preferably, give them the "quiet respect" that he asks for.

Perhaps he should keep his personal life out of a public blog, too.

I don't know anyone divorced who was that quiet about it. I am overly tired of hearing daily drama from one of my cohorts at w*rk. . .

No woman wants to live with a penny pincher. :)

In addition to his web site, he runs events that he calls "Chautauquas" to further fleece his groupies. This includes millennial women. There are pictures on the interweb of him with his arms around some of these women that would get many husbands in trouble with their wives.

None of the women I saw were named Penny.

Last edited:
In addition to his web site, he runs events that he calls "Chautauquas" to further fleece his groupies.

The Chautauquas are not run by MMM, but jlcollins: https://jlcollinsnh.com/category/chautauqua/. MMM has participated in them, as have many other bloggers. I personally don't understand the logic of spending $$$ traveling to an exotic locale to learn about managing finances, which is pretty much why I don't go! :LOL:

And one woman's penny pincher is another woman's frugal and intelligent. Finding someone who matches our individual levels of frugality is the challenge.

Well, I know a man who married a penny pincher.

I was the most cheese-paring young woman you will ever likely meet; the original tightwad. I got my hair cut at a barber shop because it was cheaper than going to a stylist. If I'd been able to cut my hair myself, I would have done.

I married a man who didn't bother to balance his checkbook - although credit rating mattered to him, and he always paid his bills on time. When I picked out a very modest engagement ring, he said, "Don't you want something bigger?" When we bought ourselves a small sports car to celebrate our marriage, I contributed as much to the down payment as he did. And the same when we had our house built.

He valued my willingness to track every dollar, and I valued his generosity. He became more frugal, while I became less so. It's worked for us.

He valued my willingness to track every dollar, and I valued his generosity. He became more frugal, while I became less so. It's worked for us.

I think this is the most wonderful statement I have read in a long time. It made me consider why I love my wife and it really is that simple: she makes me a better person. I think I'm going to go buy her some flowers today for no reason.

Thank you for making me smile today. Probably all day. And maybe all year. Life is good.

Yup. He chose to make a statement that assigned no blame to either party. That's about all one can do.

I beg to differ.

One could leave all mention of one's divorce off of one's blog. That wasn't the path chosen.

I beg to differ.

One could leave all mention of one's divorce off of one's blog. That wasn't the path chosen.

not really an option when you preach transparency in money issues...a divorce is one of the biggest money issues possible...

Thank you; I'm glad I could make you smile.

I think this is the most wonderful statement I have read in a long time. It made me consider why I love my wife and it really is that simple: she makes me a better person. I think I'm going to go buy her some flowers today for no reason.

Thank you for making me smile today. Probably all day. And maybe all year. Life is good.

not really an option when you preach transparency in money issues...a divorce is one of the biggest money issues possible...

Plus it was already a known issue...making a generic statement will stop some (not all) of the rumours.

No woman wants to live with a penny pincher. :)

lol got that right. :LOL:

there are so many things that could have contributed. I use to tell my old guy, penny pinching toward a goal is fine but once you reach that goal it's time to reevaluate.

could it have been that 20,30 years of penny pinching can grow old?

He would never conclude or admit that his fairly extreme lifestyle had any negative effects.

I sort of expected this to happen. Several years ago, on one of their summer trips to Canada, they spent some time with her parents. He wrote some highly critical, mocking things about their consumption habits. It's possible she wanted a little less of the frugality and extreme eating habits and the criticism of her family.

His parents divorced many years ago, and that often has an impact on whether the kids divorce. In addition, his father died of an aggressive brain cancer in early 2017 IIRC. The death of a parent often sharpens one's focus on how short life is and changes your priorities. He's a constant optimizer, so a new and more suitable partner might have become the top priority.

It's important not to lose the message in the personal details of the messenger. There are far better examples of successful FIRE-ees that are easier to relate to, but he has influenced a lot of people's mindsets and behavior. By spreading the "gospel," he has accomplished a lot in the FIRE movement.

Yup, seen several marriages break up over the illness/death of a parent.

I will always be very grateful to my wife & her family for their support during my mom's 15+ years of illness before her death.

And even today they've been working on the home of the relative for whom I'm currently a caregiver, getting it ready for sale.

Ever notice that the old misers that die in a run down house with one pair of tattered jeans and $8 Million in the bank are always single? :LOL:

it's definitely a lifestyle for some people :facepalm:

For some it's a religion. I fully understand LBYM in an attempt to retire early. What I don't understand being extremely miserly after one has accumulated more than enough to live comfortably.

Maybe his wife was sick of living on $24k a year when they could have lived comfortably on $50k. Maybe she was tired of biking everywhere and maybe she wanted to eat at a nice restaurant every now and then.

Or...may be she found a new lover...as is most often the case :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom