Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

MRD From Multiple IRAs?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

MRD From Multiple IRAs?

Surprisingly, I couldn't find my answer with the Search feature:

If a person has multiple IRAs, and must take MRDs; must the specified percentage be taken from each IRA? Or can you calculate the total required MRD and take it all from one IRA, leaving the other(s) untouched? A sort of rebalancing by distribution...
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
Surprisingly, I couldn't find my answer with the Search feature:

If a person has multiple IRAs, and must take MRDs; must the specified percentage be taken from each IRA? Or can you calculate the total required MRD and take it all from one IRA, leaving the other(s) untouched? A sort of rebalancing by distribution...
The IRS doesn't care where you take the RMDs or in which IRAs as long as you withdraw enough based on the cumulative value of the accounts at the end of the prior year. You could do it all from only one of the accounts if you want.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm pretty sure the RMD is for all IRAs combined and you can take it from any of them anyway you want. Someone more resourceful will come up with a link I'm sure.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
I'm pretty sure the RMD is for all IRAs combined and you can take it from any of them anyway you want. Someone more resourceful will come up with a link I'm sure.
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...-your-rmd-tool

Quote:
If you have more than one retirement plan, you'll need to calculate the RMD of each plan separately. However, you may add the RMD amounts of all IRAs (including traditional, rollover, SIMPLE, and SEP-IRAs) and withdraw the total amount from any one or more of your IRAs. The same rules apply to 403(b) accounts.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #5

I believe I've read that if you have beneficiary IRAs, you need to calculate and take the RMDs separately from those you own since you technically are the beneficiary and not the owner of those; if you've inherited from several sources, I think you also need to take the RMDs separately from each of the different sources.

RMD question: Why , for IRAs that you own, is it stated that you must calculate the RMDs separately, even though in the end you can take the total RMD from any or all of them? Why not just calculate the RMD as if they were
just one IRA?

Generally T1/D + T2/D + T3/D = (T1 + T2 + T3)/D
where Ti is the total value of an individual IRA account and D is the RMD divisor
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the helpful answers
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post

RMD question: Why , for IRAs that you own, is it stated that you must calculate the RMDs separately, even though in the end you can take the total RMD from any or all of them? Why not just calculate the RMD as if they were
just one IRA?
I'm sure there is (or once was) a reason for it, but for our purposes, it's just a gummint rule we are forced to follow. Depending upon who reviewed your return at the IRS, you might get away with doing it the "wrong way" as long as you pay the right amount. However, if a reviewer were in a bad mood (or had been jumped recently about letting such an "important" infraction slide) you could be penalized. I'm sure there is a song somewhere with a line "Don't ask why..." (I would finish the line with "because we're the gummint - that's why.")

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I'm sure there is (or once was) a reason for it, but for our purposes, it's just a gummint rule we are forced to follow. Depending upon who reviewed your return at the IRS, you might get away with doing it the "wrong way" as long as you pay the right amount. However, if a reviewer were in a bad mood (or had been jumped recently about letting such an "important" infraction slide) you could be penalized. I'm sure there is a song somewhere with a line "Don't ask why..." (I would finish the line with "because we're the gummint - that's why.")
Koolau, you are right .......there is a reason. I once learned it but when I posed that question, I knew there was a reason but had forgotten what it was.
The memory function is slow but apparently still exists so in the meantime I had finally re-discovered what the reason was. It doesn't apply to all (not to me also) but if you have a spouse 10 yrs? younger and she is beneficiary on your IRA , you get to use a different table to figure the RMD for that IRA. However, you might have other IRAs where someone else was beneficiary, so you would use the normal table. Thus 2 different divisors so you need to calculate each RMD separately and then add them up (or at least do the calculation in 2 groups and then add them up). I learned this from Alan S. at fairmark.com.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
It doesn't apply to all (not to me also) but if you have a spouse 10 yrs? younger and she is beneficiary on your IRA , you get to use a different table to figure the RMD for that IRA. However, you might have other IRAs where someone else was beneficiary, so you would use the normal table. Thus 2 different divisors so you need to calculate each RMD separately and then add them up (or at least do the calculation in 2 groups and then add them up). I learned this from Alan S. at fairmark.com.
Good info to know. Thanks! Now, if I can find that much younger woman (I married a much older woman - almost 3 months!!), I'll be prepared.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #10